Inexpensive high value EDC folder!

This is a discussion on Inexpensive high value EDC folder! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 053.jpg 054.jpg Are you still using your wal-mart or gas station folder that is dull and has a bunch of dings in the blade? well ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Inexpensive high value EDC folder!

053.jpg054.jpg
    Are you still using your wal-mart or gas station folder that is dull and has a bunch of dings in the blade? well throw it away and get one of these! I know a lot of guys on here who are knife enthusiasts will know about the Ontario Rat model 1 but there are guys and gals who aren't and are in need of a good folder. I believe the knife is an consequential part of ones EDC and having a good knife is just as important, however not everyone has the change to spend on a Benchmade Contego. I am just as addicted to knives as I am guns and have bought some high dollar folders such as Benchmade, Spyderco, and Zero Tolerance but on a day to day basis I find myself carrying this $28 folder a lot more, and I think the reason for that is I'm not as protective of it as I am my ZT 0566. Some quick specs of this blade: 3.5 inch FFG blade in Aus-8 steel which I find to be a pretty decent steel, it has good edge retention and is easy enough to put an edge on especially if you have one of the Spyderco Sharpmakers. The knife comes crazy sharp out of the box, it will slice paper and shave hairs with ease. The handle scales I believe are imitation g10 but offer good grip. The spine has very sharp Gimping that will help you control the blade while doing heavy cutting tasks. The pocket clip is four side adjustable and can be configured for tip up or down carry and it rides pretty deep in the pocket. I find this knife to be an incredible value and can do any cutting task you will run into throughout your day as well as be a defensive back-up for your pistol (god forbid). If you need a good folder for EDC go get one of these for the cost or of course a Spyderco Tenacious!
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

mikesMP9c and rockinglock32 like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I am partial to the SOG and Camillus folders as the inexpensive EDC blade. Both are availalble at WW for a reasonable price.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I have the RAT 1 and love it, sometimes it a little large depending on if I'm pocket carrying a pistol instead of IWB. In that situation I go with the Kershaw OSO sweet. Both are great knives for EDC IMO

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Another vote for the OSO Sweet... $20 and does everything I need, but that RAT looks intriguing as well, thanks for sharing.

My EDC for about twenty years has been a Spyderco Police model with a combination blade.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

And for those who want something smaller, Cold Steel Micro Recon 1 is $22 on amazon.
    Southpaw Activist

I have the OSO sweet as well and I like it a lot as well but I haven't carried it in a long time. lately its either been the rat 1, my manix2, tenacious, or my endura

My fav chep o blade SOG Specialty Knives & Tools FSA5-CP Flash II Knife with Partially Serrated Folding 3.5-Inch Steel Drop Point Blade and GRN Handle, Tigerstripe Finish - Amazon.com

though I have and like very much syperco mine are like 100-200 + models so for knife may go task it is usally a cold steel or the above or a M&P knife like thouse a lot
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

For those of you who don't need a one-handed tactical knife, have a look at Opinel knives. The Carbon series get scary sharp. I only use knives as tools and not for self-defense mind you. So, if you are looking for a knife for SD purposes, look elsewhere. These are very "slow" knives. However, if you want a rock solid, iconic knife for $12 bucks, can't beat Opinels! Official Opinel U.S. Website | Retail | Wholesale | Corporate

Holliday

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I've got a couple of inexpensive (>$20) EDC folders that I like real well! One is a Kershaw Vapor w/ about a 2 3/4" blade and recently I picked up a Kershaw Shuffle that has the built in bolt cap opener and screwdriver. Although the Shuffle only has a 2"blade it is VERY wide and has a deep belly making it as useful as a much larger blade IMHO. My EDC knives are geared more towards a utilitarian tool use vs. a weapon.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I own a Rat Model 1 and use it frequently. However, I felt like it was a little big for what I wanted as part of my EDC.

For those that might feel the same way, consider the Rat Model 2. It is the exact same knife just 20% smaller and a little less expensive ($25-ish). I own 2 of them and am planning to buy another to keep in my car.

Great EDC blade and an outstanding value for the price!

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the info. You convinced me. Just ordered one from Amazon.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffard View Post
    I own a Rat Model 1 and use it frequently. However, I felt like it was a little big for what I wanted as part of my EDC.

For those that might feel the same way, consider the Rat Model 2. It is the exact same knife just 20% smaller and a little less expensive ($25-ish). I own 2 of them and am planning to buy another to keep in my car.

Great EDC blade and an outstanding value for the price!
    I just ordered one. Due to the convoluted knife laws in WA State the longest blade I can carry everywhere is 3 inches.

I am far more of a knife fan than gun as its a tool I use everyday. A gun is one I hope to never do so.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I'm a big fan of the Kershaw Blur, I often carry mine (combo edge black finish) and barely notice that it is in my pocket. That said, lately I have been carrying my Boker Kalashnikov auto, just because I can hehe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links