New way to carry defensive fixed-blade knife.

This is a discussion on New way to carry defensive fixed-blade knife. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Credit to Michael Janich for an innovative way to conceal a fixed-blade knife (as seen on "The Best Defense", The Outdoor Channel). Remove the clip ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ghost tracker
  • 2 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: New way to carry defensive fixed-blade knife.

Credit to Michael Janich for an innovative way to conceal a fixed-blade knife (as seen on "The Best Defense", The Outdoor Channel). Remove the clip from the sheath. Tie a short length of para cord (8-10"?) to the sheath bottom. Tie the other end of the cord onto your belt (or belt loop) above your right/front pant pocket. Then simply put the sheathed blade (point down) into that pocket or handily inside your waistline. When you draw, the sheath comes OUT WITH your knife. That allows 6-8" of safe clearance from your body, belt or pants BEFORE you hit the end of your cord and expose the edge. I just set-up my custom fixed-blade Karambit accordingly & it allows for deeper, more-comfortable carry while speeding a safe blade deployment. From a confined space, I ESPECIALLY like getting that razor edge just a tad away from my belly before the "safety" comes off. Try it, it WORKS!
    GhostMaker and Eichorn like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I saw this too and completely agree with you......Great idea!
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Sounds like the MIC "holster". Good idea!

Distinguished Member
    Very nice, going to have to give this a try. I've always been interested in carrying a fixed blade.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Man, that's one of those things that make you go, "Why didn't I think of that?" Nice one!
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

VIP Member
    It is very creative and I like the thinking, but it seems like a lot of effort to clear the body before exposing the blade. Maybe it's a dumb question, but why not just carry a spring assisted folder? I have several and they are easy to operate with one hand and I never have to worry about accidentally exposing the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    ...but why not just carry a spring assisted folder?...
    Good question. Studies at the well-respected Tactical Defense Institute show, via experiments with EVERY student, that the FAStest timed-deployment with the trainees' personal (familiar) folder is slower than the SLOWEST timed-deployment of their newly assigned KaBar TDI fixed-blade. It's not even close. I have & enjoy several quality folders. But for defensive purposes, you're putting yourself well behind the curve compared to a fixed-blade.
    miller_man and RickyD like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Good question. Studies at the well-respected Tactical Defense Institute show, via experiments with EVERY student, that the FAStest timed-deployment with the trainees' personal (familiar) folder is slower than the SLOWEST timed-deployment of their newly assigned KaBar TDI fixed-blade. It's not even close. I have & enjoy several quality folders. But for defensive purposes, you're putting yourself well behind the curve compared to a fixed-blade.
    I have learned something new today - thank you Ghost!

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    That's why my EDC knife is a small Randall Gambler.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Would you mind linking the video?

I'd be glad to link the TDI video IF I WASN'T such an OLD graybeard with very little interest in learning techno-tricks.

Just search YouTube for "KaBar TDI John Benner". Should take you right to the "fixed is faster" info.

As for linking "The Best Defense" (Michael Janich) segment on sheath set-up, I suggest you check the On Demand section of your cable system. The show aired last Wednesday. I just checked with show's website & can only suppose that episodes aren't available for viewing until all chances of rerun...have run out.

I don't regard knives as good defensive weapons, but ok. The problem with the "cord draw" is that your knife comes out of the sheath 6 to 8 inches later than usual. More space for the adversary to block your draw. A big advantage of the method for me is the ability to tuck your shirt into the trousers, sometimes necessary to carry really concealed. Once I tinkered a belt clip from a Tucker Gun Leather holster onto a kydex CRKT knife sheath for the same reason, works fine.

Sponsored Links