Optimum Club size?

This is a discussion on Optimum Club size? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What would be the ideal legnth for a club, night stick or other blunt object that can be used indoors or outdoors?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimum Club size?

Optimum Club size?

What would be the ideal legnth for a club, night stick or other blunt object that can be used indoors or outdoors?

2. Remove Ads

why??? i carry a asap on "raids" for the job. but why do you want to carry one. you will make some "bg" mad and he will take it away from you and beat the "you know what" out of you. yes i have pull the asap out during "raids", but i had several other agents as backup. yes, there are real bad guys out there, and a stick will just make them mad.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Various people have different ideas on what is the ideal length. With that said, I agree with frankmako.

If you want it for less than lethal self defense learn how to hand to hand fight, and invest in some OC spray.

If you are wanting it for another lethal option, skip it. There are much better lethal options than a blunt object.

Simply put, you can do some serious damage with any blunt object, and a lot of damage if you are properly trained, but for most people I just don't think it has a lot more to offer than other types of weapons. If someone can convince me of otherwise I am all ears; until then I won't own one.
    Beretta 92FS

I am looking for the ideal legnth, theoretically, of a hitting device. Nobody has answered my question - you're just running off on the wrong track with what you perceive to be my question. I just want to know what the ideal legnth of an object for hitting someone in a house/building is. My question has nothing to do with wheather I have a handgun, spray mace, khukri, k-bar fighting blade, or any other weapon. It's a simple question.
    Last edited by Yougetoverit; December 25th, 2006 at 09:41 AM.

No such thing as an ideal length. Look at stick fighting in the martial arts. There are disciplines around short, medium, long, cane and staff length. Staff length would be too long for most to handle indoors. Much would depend on you, training and planned method of deployment. For a simple crude club look at standard police night sticks or Escrima sticks.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Administrator
    A good hard hitting Night Stick would be right around 20" ~ I have a 20" made of Lignum Vitae wood that a friend of mine lathe turned for me.
    Lignum Vitae is Extremely Dense, STRONG & Heavy.
    That allowed me to have a thinner & slightly faster moving stick without sacrificing weight.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lignum Vitae also sinks real nice in water! Don't ask why I know.....

But I do have a beut of a wood lathe! Anyone need a good club?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    Indoors = 9.25"

Outdoors = 21.50"

As for the other measurements you'll have to ask another question since you only wanted length addressed in this post. BTW all ideals are based on my body measurments, yours will vary.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Well, said, Mod. I couldn't think of anything nice to say.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Simple Answer, As Per Your Request...

Quote Originally Posted by Yougetoverit View Post
    I am looking for the ideal legnth, theoretically, of a hitting device. Nobody has answered my question - you're just running off on the wrong track with what you perceive to be my question. I just want to know what the ideal legnth of an object for hitting someone in a house/building is. My question has nothing to do with wheather I have a handgun, spray mace, khukri, k-bar fighting blade, or any other weapon. It's a simple question.
    Short arms = long stick...

Long arms = short stick...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The Ideal length would be from your Hand to the floor, as in the length you would need as a cane. Most people would find that this is a very comfortable length for your own body. Besides should you decide to carry a "club" this one is legal no matter where you go, even on Airplanes.

Administrator

Post Ideal Length

It's my personal opinion that what is the ideal length for me...should be the ideal length for everybody else at least in the United States of America.
    Life would be so much simpler if everything was exactly the way I wanted it.

Lignum Vitae wood. Yep, you're 100% correct. A wood so dense & waterproof that it will not float and was also used for ship propellers.

Lead Moderator
    As said, depending on style/use and body size lengths wil vary. Perhaps find a martial arts class to help you pick a style first.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I make walking sticks and canes I use Hickory, Teak, Iron Bark, Ebony. Iron Bark is very dense, Hickory is springie. I also use Apple, Plumb, Schotch Broom, and Holly. All of these work well as emergency weapons.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Fo what it is worth I go with the 18"-20" lenght, test it out for your self, see what you can control and accuratly hit your target with. It also depends on what kind of quarters you expect to use your "club" in. I spent hours and hours practicing to use an asp in an aircraft and hours and hours practing to use one in a more open envirnment (I'm talking over 100 hours swinging that thing). What ever you decide on take a course in the practacial aplication of your "club".
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links