Best Expandable Baton?

Best Expandable Baton?

This is a discussion on Best Expandable Baton? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; can anyone reccomend one of the better expandable batons? Is ASP the best? is there much difference between the different brands? I was thinking of ...

Best Expandable Baton?

can anyone reccomend one of the better expandable batons? Is ASP the best? is there much difference between the different brands? I was thinking of picking up a 26" ASP. I've seen the damage they can do a couple of times on cops and it looks freakin nasty. Any advise appreciated. KS Pat

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I have had the 26" for some time now and have had approx. 90-100hrs of training on it's use. This free,from a certified ASP instructor.(friend)

I have learned why the expandable "sticks" are called weapons. With the proper training they can be potentially devistating. For the untrained,simply to "whack" something ,I'm not so sure.

Words of advice >>>> Check your laws pertaining to carry and even ownership. Find a dealer that will let you unpackage and expand all models. Unscrew the endcap and see how they are built/designed. Read the booklet that comes with them. Take a look at which endcap you want/need,vs the origional. I would reccommend the enlarged one,for retention.

$65-$70 will be a good price for the 26". The other two are not that much cheaper.

In Florida we have to keep these weapons concealed. Think about how you will carry the ASP. They are heavier than anticipated so belt case for me in the "breakaway" style. (no velcro) While out walking after supper,I carry mine in hand in a small peice of thin walled PVC pipe with caps on either end.

Buy an ASP brand. The rest probably will not stand up to all the training "whackin". Think of this weapon as you would a firearm or blade. This just might be something that you will have to bet your life on. You can buy the inferior sticks at gunshows for 12 bucks but why would you ?? -------

VIP Member
    I only have experience with the ASP brand baton, so I can't speak for the others. Mine is a 16" steel ASP (don't get the aluminum - I've heard too many reports of them bending after a few hard whacks!). I chose the 16" ASP because it folded down to a size I could easily conceal and carry.

If you do get one, don't add oil to it - that'll ruin the friction lock system.

And as RSSZ said, check your laws on carry and use.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

first, why do you want one. do you need it for duty?? if it for your job then they should issue you one and give you training. if you just want one to be a "rambo", then don't wast your time. with out the proper training you are looking for trouble. you pull one on the wrong "bg" and he will take it away from you and beat the you know what out of you. i only use my asp baton on "raids" when the "bg" does not follow directions. and i have two or three other agents backing me up with their guns out. it is a good control tool during arrests, but not good for much of anything more.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Winchester
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Quote Originally Posted by KSPat View Post
    can anyone reccomend one of the better expandable batons? Is ASP the best? is there much difference between the different brands? I was thinking of picking up a 26" ASP. I've seen the damage they can do a couple of times on cops and it looks freakin nasty. Any advise appreciated. KS Pat

Why not something innocent, like a 4 C-cell Maglight? It's a nice, durable flashlight that can take a lot of abuse. And it's not hard to carry. And, it's still just a flashlight.

Incidentally, it can also be used as an impact weapon in an emergency and you really don't need any specialized training to operate it. Just rember that striking someone in the head, heart, kidneys, throat and armpits is normally considered to be the application of Deadly Force. So, don't use Deadly Force unless Deadly Force is justified. Limbs & collar bones make great tarkets when force is called for, but Deadly Force isn't.

Frankmako, when you put it that way, its like me asking you why you would want a firearm? is it to be a "rambo"? because someone could just as easily take away a firearm from somone who is not fluent in its use and stick it up their you know what if they were not careful. Why would I want an asp? the same reason I would want a gun. Just because someone doesnt use a weapon at work does not mean they have no business owning one. KS Pat

Administrator
    Pat, I dont think that is what frank meant. I was going to say the same thing. It takes a lot of skill to be effective with a baton, you are in a H2H situation. Think long and hard about different scenarios. Solve them with a pistol, and a baton each. You should then get the point he is making. If you want one for whatever reason, more power to you. Please get REAL training in its use, as well as H2H training of some sort.

Since you asked what brand I prefer, its Monadnock. Asp is the standard and makes a good product too.

ok..maybe I was a bit defensive. I understand what your saying sixto.
    I do have h2h expierience. Both boxing and tae kwon do for years. Of coarse I would learn how to use it and practice, and not just go out whacking people with it. I also dont think that drawing a gun is the only answer to stopping the bg. besides...no one likes to be accused of being a rambo wannabe :)

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I personally think carrying one of these would be a mistake for anyone that is not in LE. If you hit someone with it, you will likely go to jail for aggravated battery. A jury won't buy the fact that you carry it for personal defense. And, the prosecutor will have an easy time of painting you as a Rambo. You are better off, IMO, with pepper spray because you can use it as a standoff and escape mechanism and it is more widely accepted as a purely defensive weapon.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I carry and use a 21" ASP in my work the standard by which all others are judged.

Links