REVIEW: The Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife Sharpener>>>>>

This is a discussion on REVIEW: The Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife Sharpener>>>>> within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Best. Sharpener. EVER!!!! Check out my review: Review of the Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife Sharpener Enjoy, and do let me know your thoughts ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: REVIEW: The Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife Sharpener>>>>>

REVIEW: The Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife Sharpener>>>>>

Best. Sharpener. EVER!!!!

Check out my review:

Review of the Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife Sharpener

Enjoy, and do let me know your thoughts on the sharpener!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Good review. I have the earlier version that predates the Ken Onion and it is a great sharpener.

I wish that they had a wider selection of belt grits though. That would be somewhat beneficial.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by From the WorkSharp web site's description of the Ken Onion edition
    http://www.worksharptools.com/knife/...n-edition.html

The 3/4" x 12” premium, flexible engineered abrasive belts sharpen virtually any shape or type of knife blade and uses a precision sharpening guide to ensure that you get a consistent angle every time. The sharpening guide is fully adjustable in 1° increments from 15° to 30° so you can sharpen any knife to the angle you desire to best meet your needs. The variable speed control (1200 SFM to 2800 SFM) provides you with the optimal belt speed for the task at hand.
    Seems to have variable speed control and variable angle control, over the 'base' product.

Does anyone have the new Ken Onion version? Worth the changes (this adjustability)?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I love this thing and I dont even have one. I have had mediocre success with my diamond hone kit, but it really doesnt work well on my large knives ( Ka-Bar, Ontario survival knife, 13" machete, tomahawk) If I can justify the cost I may have to order one of these.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Seems to have variable speed control and variable angle control, over the 'base' product.

Does anyone have the new Ken Onion version? Worth the changes (this adjustability)?
    - Every review that I've seen on various knife forums states that the KO version is a significant upgrade of the base product. If I didn't already have the Wicked Edge (and completely satisfied), I would be looking at the Ken Onion Worksharp.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Good review. I have the earlier version that predates the Ken Onion and it is a great sharpener.

I wish that they had a wider selection of belt grits though. That would be somewhat beneficial.
    More belts are DEFINTELY coming and may be on the manufacturer's site as early as this week.

I have one of the older (1/2" belt, fixed speed) Work Sharp sharpeners. I, too, am interested in opinions on the newer model. I surely do like the system.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I got the Ken Onion version today. I've already sharpened our kitchen knives with great success and ease. The belts themselves kinda get difficult to differentiate after use, so I hang them up on pegs so they don't get mixed up. The coarse and extra fine grades are easy to determine but those middle grades are a bear.
    Rolex_John likes this.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920–2006)

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I got the Ken Onion version today. I've already sharpened our kitchen knives with great success and ease. The belts themselves kinda get difficult to differentiate after use, so I hang them up on pegs so they don't get mixed up. The coarse and extra fine grades are easy to determine but those middle grades are a bear.
    I imagine a Sharpie marker on the inside could work well.

Nice to see the "KO" version works well.

Hm. Choices, choices.

NT, if you're willing, consider posting a review (with either pics or vids, if you got 'em). I imagine folks would get a lot of value out of a first-hand report of the ease and utility of the unit.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I imagine a Sharpie marker on the inside could work well.

Nice to see the "KO" version works well.

Hm. Choices, choices.
    I did mark 'em, but I'm not sure how long those marks will last. Probably not the life of the belt.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920–2006)

Has anyone used with one hand opening folder knives? I think I read where the stud on the blade makes it difficult or hard to use the guide.

The guide's removable. I haven't tried sharpening any of my precious folders just yet. :)

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    The guide's removable. I haven't tried sharpening any of my precious folders just yet. :)
    To me the guide is a desirable feature, which I need. So if I must remove the guide this would be one BIG negative for me. I suppose if this were the case and I used the guide my folder with stud on blade would not be sharpened all the way in the rear. Or I could chose folders with a hole in blade vs stud. If I am understanding correctly this is again a big negative for me as many of the knives I would sharpen are folders with studs.

I have been sharpening some of my smaller pen knives w/o the guide in place and getting reasonable results. Just like any other sharpening system, maintaining a constant angle is key. I'm finding that holding that angle is easier with this thing. Not only that, it's much faster. I run the KO on the lowest belt speed and it sharpens up a blade in just a few passes. I expect to get better as I gain experience.

Administrator
    I made a leather stropping belt for mine just for the heck of it. I had to make it out pf pretty thin Hermann Oak.
    My first one stretched a bit too much.
    I made another and used some thick water based Acrylic to coat the back flesh side and that worked out fine and eliminated the stretch.

Really though the finest belt supplied with the Work Sharp acts pretty much just like a leather strop.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links