Any suggestions to match this?

This is a discussion on Any suggestions to match this? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a new everyday carry. I was carrying a Kershaw O So Sweet. Trying to drop to 3 inches or less (as close to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any suggestions to match this?

Any suggestions to match this?

Looking for a new everyday carry. I was carrying a Kershaw O So Sweet. Trying to drop to 3 inches or less (as close to 3" as possible without going over).
    I already had in my collection a Gerber EZ Out Jr which is great but is a little shorter than I like.

I like this one: Columbia River® Drifter Framelock with Black G-10 Handle

... and I may get that one. It meets all my requirements except one. It's not Made in USA. I'm sure it's a good knife. The price is right in my range. I am not one to spend a hundred bucks on a knife. To me, no knife is worth it.

I'm looking for something with the following: Either the thumb hole or thumb stud for one handed opening.
    3" blade, not over, but as close to it as possible. 2 3/4" to 3".
    Stainless steel blade or similar. Something that won't rust.
    G10 handles or something similarly grippy, maybe aluminum (I like G10).
    Pocket clip
    Made in USA
    Cost no more than $40 (don't call me a cheap skate, I know I am) You can recommend something that is more than that, and I'll
    look at it and consider it, but it'll have to be good for me to spend more.
    Lastly, no assisted opening, spring loaded, or switchblade. (anything that pops open with a touch)

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Quite a ways outside of your mentioned price point, but give it a look anyhow. I'm a big fan of Emerson knives and Ernest Emerson himself. The Mini A100 meets your specs, is made in the USA, and is one heck of a knife.

Mini A-100 - Emerson Knives Inc.
    AMMUNITION: The currency for the new millenium.

Sorry to say but in most cases you aren't going to find a knife that is made in the U.S. for about $40 unless you get a Buck and even then not all of them are made here. My suggestion would be a Spyderco Tenacious (a little over 3 inches) or a Spyderco persistence (a little less than 3 inches) and although neither are American made, Spyderco is an American company and the quality of either of those knives doesn't resemble Chinese manufacturing. If you really want, you could bump up and get a Manix 2 which is just a little over 3 inches, about the same length as the Tenacious but will run you about $75 on the cheap end and they are made in Golden, Colorado. I have all three Spyders I just mentioned plus many more and I absolutely love their knives, the tenacious was my first "good" quality EDC knife and I still carry it now. In your case I would really recommend the persistence it is an awesome EDC blade!
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

That is similar to a CRKT knife I carry on occasion, so my 2 cents is get it.
    tkruf likes this.

Can't go wrong with CRKT. I had one of the 1* for a while. i think it's the same as their m16 now. But it has the Carson flipper and I think that would be considered assisted opening but it's not spring loaded in any way. I have a kabar folder with a thumb hole and pocket clip that I like a lot. Couldn't give you a price as it was a gift . But it's worth looking into
    Taurahe and Pete63 like this.

The $40 requirement is going to be very tough for a decent USA made knife.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I'm amazed by people who'll drop hundreds of dlooars on a gun they may never need, but always look to "cheap out" onn a knife/tool that they may use on a daily basis. You want a lot of knife for a little money; to get what you want, you're gonna have to comprimise here or there; either settle for something not American-made, or be ready to spend over $40, dude.

No knife is worth more than $100? I wish someone would have said something to me, I just paid $300+ on a butterfly knife, and $100+ on another pocket folder.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerdude12 View Post
    Sorry to say but in most cases you aren't going to find a knife that is made in the U.S. for about $40 unless you get a Buck and even then not all of them are made here. My suggestion would be a Spyderco Tenacious (a little over 3 inches) or a Spyderco persistence (a little less than 3 inches) and although neither are American made, Spyderco is an American company and the quality of either of those knives doesn't resemble Chinese manufacturing. If you really want, you could bump up and get a Manix 2 which is just a little over 3 inches, about the same length as the Tenacious but will run you about $75 on the cheap end and they are made in Golden, Colorado. I have all three Spyders I just mentioned plus many more and I absolutely love their knives, the tenacious was my first "good" quality EDC knife and I still carry it now. In your case I would really recommend the persistence it is an awesome EDC blade!
    Thanks, the persistence is one of the knives I had on my list of possibilities.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by JackBlades View Post
    Quite a ways outside of your mentioned price point, but give it a look anyhow. I'm a big fan of Emerson knives and Ernest Emerson himself. The Mini A100 meets your specs, is made in the USA, and is one heck of a knife.

Mini A-100 - Emerson Knives Inc.
    Very nice. Nice price too. Yep, way out of my price range. Thanks tho.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    I'm amazed by people who'll drop hundreds of dlooars on a gun they may never need, but always look to "cheap out" onn a knife/tool that they may use on a daily basis. You want a lot of knife for a little money; to get what you want, you're gonna have to comprimise here or there; either settle for something not American-made, or be ready to spend over $40, dude.

No knife is worth more than $100? I wish someone would have said something to me, I just paid $300+ on a butterfly knife, and $100+ on another pocket folder.
    Sorry for your loss.
    Taurahe likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I agree. I honestly wouldn't buy a pocket knife that was that cheap. I would save up until I could afford a better one. I carry a Benchmade that cost $115 4 years ago and have carried it nearly ever day since. As held up like a champ and benchmades life sharp program is great. Expensive knives are worth it. I'm not saying to spend 300$ but expect to spend $100+. I'm looking at the Zero Tolerance 0350 for my next purchase.

I totally agree. I carry a knife daily and use it daily. I wouldn't want a knife that is less than a Benchmade 154 cm steel or a Syderco VG10 steel. You can find them at $100 price point if you look real hard on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Thanks, the persistence is one of the knives I had on my list of possibilities.
    Here's a good review video. Don't be fooled good knives can be had for less than $40 just not U.S. made, coming from a guy who has ZT's and Benchmades
    tkruf likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

My final contestants are these:

CRKT Drifter
    KA-Bar K2 Tegu
    Spyderco Persistence

Edit: Now considering expanding the budget. Ha ha no, not no $150 tho.

Looking at blade steel a little and like the Spyderco Delica 4, for the VG-10 steel, however I'm not too keen on the FRN handles and the lock back. Prefer liner lock and G-10 handles. I still want to keep the blade length under 3" but not less than 2.5", no assisted opening (no springy actions).

Any ideas for something 2.5"-3", G-10 (or grippy handle), liner lock, prefer thumb hole (not stud), made with VG-10, AUS-8, S30V, 154CM, under $100?
    Last edited by tkruf; February 25th, 2014 at 06:42 PM.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

You may also want to consider the Ontario rat model 2, which is a smaller version of the model 1 (I have a thread I posted here about the model 1 not long ago, they are the same knife, one is just smaller). They have imitation g-10 scales, super smooth action so smooth it almost feels spring assisted (it is not!) and are made out of the AUS-8a steel. I think the blade length would be good for you, they are right at 3 inches which I find that length to be the most utilitarian and perfect for EDC. Another one very similar to the Ontario would be the Esee Zancudo (Amazon.com: ESEE Randall's Adventure and Training Zancudo Framelock Folder - Black/Stonewash: Sports & Outdoors). Take a look at the CRKT ripple as well. Truthfully, there are a ton of awesome knives out there at great prices. Just shop around, see what fits your needs best, and it wouldn't hurt to jump on blade forums, lots of good info over there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links