I built my first knife this weekend....

This is a discussion on I built my first knife this weekend.... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided to try my hand at building a knife so a few weeks ago I ordered a green river knife kit. The model I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: I built my first knife this weekend....

I decided to try my hand at building a knife so a few weeks ago I ordered a green river knife kit.
    The model I ordered is the ripper, which is just a simple 4 inch blade, with almost a spear point.
    I'm not sure of the exact thickness but it quite thin and has some flex to it. It came complete with maple scales, cutlery grade brass pins, and the blade of course.
    I tried to patina the blade with a variety of things but ended up liking hot sauce thinned with some cider vinegar and letting it sit for a few hours.
    The green river blades are coated so i lightly sanded and burnished the blade to remove the coating, being careful not to get the blade hot. The scales are solid maple, and I did not like them at first but, after I stained them they really grew on me.
    They were stained in dark walnut, with satin gloss polyurethane finish.
    The handles were sculpted with a Dremel tool and finish sanded by hand.
    Some may notice it is not a high finish knife.... it is not supposed to be.
    I actually modeled the finish off of a early 18th century "trade knife" that a local museum was more than gracious enough to let me look at up close to get a feel for it.
    I wanted it to have a used but solid built look.
    Eventually, I am going to build my Brother a period correct early 18th century roach belly for re-enactment, and I want it to really look the part.
    I did make a few mistakes, and have some ideas to make the next one better.
    Overall I am very satisfied with this as my first knife.
    I think it will be a new knife for the kitchen.... that blade is "wicked sharp" and takes an easy edge. Loving it!
    Let me know what you guys think... good and bad.

DSC_3487.jpgDSC_3488.jpg
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member
    credible job. Looks good.
    Taurahe likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Nice first effort. Knife looks good. Unsure, however, how long that suede sheath is gonna' hold-out. Not suggesting Kydex, of course, yet some bridle leather, etc. might provide better service.
    WannabeaCPA and Taurahe like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Nice job, I like the look. I've built a couple of knives from kits and enjoyed it plus gained a nice knife. I had a kit Bowie knife on my gun belt for years.
    Taurahe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Nice first effort. Knife looks good. Unsure, however, how long that suede sheath is gonna' hold-out. Not suggesting Kydex, of course, yet some bridle leather, etc. might provide better service.
    That was a sheath I had lying around and it fit the knife and the idea. I am going to eventually make a trade style sheath for it that holds it secure in some fashion. If I was going to do suede it wouldnt be something that hideous... I am not sure that is even real leather. That sheath looks horrible in person.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Looks good. Nice little project.
    You need to age the pins and the handle and they'll compliment the good job you did on the blade.

Looks great. Good job.

Ex Member
    Very nice. Take what you learned and go from there.

VIP Member
    Looks very nice for a first try!

Everyone needs a hobby, so my thought is to carry on (yes, it is a bad pun, sorry).
    Taurahe likes this.

Administrator

Thumbs up

That is a thin blade
    Good job. The antique patina on the blade looks very good.
    Tiger Maple is a traditional/authentic wood for period knives and firearms.
    Keep at it. Make more knives!

BTW...That sheath is unsafe for carry.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor
    You do realize that you are now good and truly screwed, right?

First you put a kit knife together. Next you are buying pre cut blanks and grinding your own. Then you have to start from scratch and cut, grind and temper. Do you have any Idea what a good tempering oven costs?

Screwed.

Welcome to the club.

BTW, nice knife!
    QKShooter likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    You did a great job on it. I wouldn't know where to start. Look really good

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

That is certainly nice for a first knife. It has that rustic look that people expect from a knife brand established in the 19th century. I agree with others that you could use a better sheath.
    Ars longa vita brevis
    http://goo.gl/YN2P0h

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That is a thin blade
    Good job. The antique patina on the blade looks very good.
    Tiger Maple is a traditional/authentic wood for period knives and firearms.
    Keep at it. Make more knives!

BTW...That sheath is unsafe for carry.
    I know the sheath is junk. I am not even sure where i got it from but it looks half ay decent on the knife so I am using it for looks more than anything. I did however make it safe for use... from the stabbilng myself in the leg aspect. I molded and shaped a kydex liner for the knife so it cannot slice through the sheath. a little shaping with a razor knife and it slid right in after I molded it. If you or anyone else has a suggestion for a quality, 18th century style knife sheath, I am all ears and eyes lol. I honestly dont have an interest in making one, but I probably will just to keep the hand made feel going.
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    You do realize that you are now good and truly screwed, right?

First you put a kit knife together. Next you are buying pre cut blanks and grinding your own. Then you have to start from scratch and cut, grind and temper. Do you have any Idea what a good tempering oven costs?

Screwed.

Welcome to the club.

BTW, nice knife!
    I wont be screwed... after watching a lot of tutorials and reading and researching, I honestly have no desire to grind my own knives. I am sure it would be fun, but it isnt really my thing. The kits are easy and simple, yet can yield a fantastic result. That is more my style. between guns, photography equipmnet, fishing / hunting gear, tools for work, putting together a bug out / camping bag, and collecting knives, I cannot afford to have another hobby. To be honest, building kit knives is a means to facilitate my knife collecting. I cannot afford a custom knife from a high end maker, but nothing says I cant learn how to make my own.... and get some fun knives in the process.
    ~Daniel Webster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links