Oregon knife laws are confusing...need clarification

This is a discussion on Oregon knife laws are confusing...need clarification within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or ...

Thread: Oregon knife laws are confusing...need clarification

Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor

I know switch blades are legal and can be carried as long as they are not concealed. However, I carry a benchmade concealed, which I can open with a flick of my wrist. It's definitely not a switch blade, but is it considered a knife that opens with centrifugal force? If so that means I can't carry it in my pocket. If anyone knows the rule, I would appreciate some clarification. Thanks in advance.

I'm not quoting any specific legal statute in my description, but I carry various brands and types of folding knives everyday around Portland with many of them partially exposed in my front pocket using the knife clip. Never had a problem with anyone or police protesting my knives. I would think that maybe a large blade length would be more of story that anything else.

Ha try going to any state and understand their knife laws, not gonna happen easily. I would say if you're really worried about it, just don't carry anything with a blade longer than 3 inches and without any kind of spring assist (although I don't think the spring assist counts as a switchblade). Truth be told, your are very rarely if ever going to have any trouble with the law regarding a knife, and if they ask about just do what I do and play stupid and tell them you use it for work and carry it all the time
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

We have some of tHe same crazy wording in our knife laws in Colorado. The advantage you have in Oregon is that Benchmade is in Oregon and you can carry their switchblades if not concealed. In Colorado we can't buy switchblades even from Syderco. Assisted opening were riled not switchblades at the federal level a while back. I believe it was a law suit over CRKT vs US Dept of Commerce that prompted the statement. This is all from my memory, so I could be wrong about a few of the facts.

Seems like all these states have similar wording about dirks, does anyone even know what dirk is? Would you even know if you had one?

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Does your Benchmade have a thumbhole or stud for opening? You should be fine as long as it is not spring assisted. I recently found out that butterfly knives were prohibited in Washington and Seattle has an ordnance against carrying a blade over three inches in length so I switched to a Kershaw speedsafe.

I thought that NYC was the only place that you couldn't carry an assisted opening knife. The NYC DA is the one pushing arrest for lock blade knives.

Administrator
    You would think that "lawmakers" would call in and consult with a couple of knife experts before they craft knife restrictions and legislation.
    The knife laws in many States are very poorly written. I believe that they must be intentionally confusing.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You would think that "lawmakers" would call in and consult with a couple of knife experts before they craft knife restrictions and legislation.
    The knife laws in many States are very poorly written. I believe that they must be intentionally confusing.
    Maybe they want to be able .to arrest anyone at anything on an ambiguous knife charge.

Sponsored Links