Attended an defensive knife class

This is a discussion on Attended an defensive knife class within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ------------------- DELETED ------------------------ Hell, I'm sorry I brought it up. Have a nice life guys, I'm outta here......

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By Chasejax
  • 2 Post By luvmy40
  • 1 Post By Rotorhead84
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By BadgerJ
  • 2 Post By Taurahe
  • 2 Post By RebelSoul
  • 1 Post By stylus
  • 2 Post By Speculator

Thread: Attended an defensive knife class

------------------- DELETED ------------------------

Hell, I'm sorry I brought it up.

Have a nice life guys, I'm outta here...
    Last edited by SteveB2175; March 7th, 2014 at 01:12 PM.

This sounds like crazy talk.

N
    RebelSoul and mano3 like this.

Sponsor
    You might want to review your local knife laws. I think you'll be surprised at where and what you can carry knife wise in Cinci.
    WrongRecroom and mano3 like this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I know the point you're making, truly.

But I think I'll stick with my .357 Combat Magnum.

Just sayin...
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

"Ohio Statute defines deadly weapon as any instrument, device, or thing that is capable of inflicting death, and designed or adapted for use as a weapon, or that is possessed, carried, or used as a weapon. In State v. Hall, Ms. Hall was convicted of aggravated menacing, or causing another to believe that she would harm them or their property, when she became involved in an altercation while armed with a steak knife. The jury found that a steak knife fit the definition of a deadly weapon, and the Ohio Court of Appeals agreed. In the case of a student who brought a pocketknife to school in the case of In re Carson, the Court found that the pocketknife, whose blade was one and a half to two inches long, was meant to be used as a weapon. It further found that the pocketknife was capable of causing a deadly wound, and thus was within the definition of a deadly weapon. Just a year before the 2007 Carson decision, in State v. Port, the Ohio Appellate Court found that a Winchester seven and one half inch pocketknife was a deadly weapon, because Mr. Port claimed to be carrying it for protection. The Court reasoned that since the definition of deadly weapon provides that any device carried or used as a weapon is a deadly weapon, the fact that Mr. Port carried the knife as a weapon made it a deadly weapon. In 2010, in the case of State v. Cattledge, the Ohio Appellate Court found that the following characteristics may support the finding that a folding knife is a deadly weapon:

a blade that can easily be opened with one hand, such as with a switch, a spring-loaded blade, or a gravity blade capable of one-handed operation
    a blade that locks into position and cannot close without triggering the lock
    a blade that is serrated
    a blade tip that is sharp
    an additional design element on the blade, such as a hole, that aids in unfolding the knife with one hand
    the knife does not resemble an ordinary pocket knife

Mr. Cattledge’s knife was found to be a deadly weapon because it was seven inches long with a locking blade and button, which allowed the knife to be opened with one hand.

Not all knives in Ohio are considered deadly weapons. In 2010 in State v. Thompson, the Court of Appeals of Ohio found that Mr. Thompson’s knife was not a deadly weapon. In its decision, the Court said that when determining whether an instrument was a deadly weapon, the trial Court should consider several factors including who is carrying the devise, the circumstances under which it is being carried, including the time, place, and situation that the person is found carrying it, and the reason he or she claims to be carrying it. The Thompson Court recognized that many knives are useful tools for hunters, fisherman, and campers, and workers, and said that not all knives could be considered to be designed for use as a weapon."

Ohio Knife Laws | KnifeUp
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

So you took a class and you're a knife fighter now? Interesting. Good luck with that.
    Taurahe likes this.

9/10 knife/non gun laws are far weirder have more issue then guns ... Ie this knife is legal in this city but not here ( not sure on Ohio) .. Or if the blade opens like this or looks like this it is maybe ok maybe not ..

Thus most of the time the knifes that work good for SD are ones that will get in deep trouble if found .. So unless your really good with a basic pocket knife .. See if taser or mace can be caried .. Or a pepper blaster/jpx

I like the idea puch daggers for SD .. Less training needed and hard to disarm.. But these tend to be double balded and no go in a lot of places ... CS12CScold_steel_safe_Maker_II_Push_Dagger.jpg

I like sypdercos also as they tend to be more legal to other knifes in function and still open fast ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

We also just had a long thread on knifes in TX... The basic point is unless you spent your life learing the way of the blade dont carry it for primary SD... Also as other posters indicated knife fighting is brutal and you will more then likely get cut/stab etc in the process ...
    CeltKnight likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Interesting about push daggers. They look cool, but for a normal guy to be carrying one is going to be uncommon. But consider females with weaker wrists. That would be the best tool for them. Yet moronic lawmakers would have them be illegal - all because of watching too much TV. Nobody is making meat cleavers illegal - but maybe they haven't seen Big Trouble in Little China yet, lol.
    CeltKnight likes this.

Sounds like someones nerves got stepped on...sorry I missed his post before he deleted it.
    tcox4freedom and atctimmy like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post

Jeebies - over react much?

This is a discussion forum. People were discussing your topic.

I fail to see the problem.

Peace.
    WrongRecroom and jenatron like this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post

"Last edited by SteveB2175; Today at 02:12 PM."

It's currently 11:43. This guy lives in the future, and got so mad he went into the past to delete it!

#timezones
    RebelSoul likes this.

I would look askance at anyone offering a 'defensive knife class'. Ask the instructor if they've ever witnessed, let alone been a victim of a knife attack. If they had it would be a 'carry a big gun, knife defense class'. :)
    WrongRecroom and RebelSoul like this.

It seems as though the OP has headed out on vacation, and he has taken a portion of this thread with him...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links