Decided on which one (um, or two)

This is a discussion on Decided on which one (um, or two) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Couple weeks ago I asked if anyone had any suggestions for a knife that had adjustable clip, G-10 handles, between 2.5" to 3" blade length, ...

Thread: Decided on which one (um, or two)

Decided on which one (um, or two)

Couple weeks ago I asked if anyone had any suggestions for a knife that had adjustable clip, G-10 handles, between 2.5" to 3" blade length, liner lock, was made in USA and was around $40 or so.

Well I looked and researched, and hunted. I had to forget the Made In USA, and the $40 (just in a manner of speaking).

I ended up with two new knives. Neither one made in the USA, but one of them was $39.

5.11 Alpha Scout: made in Taiwan with AUS-8 steel, everything else matches my requirements, and it was $39.99 at Smokey Mountain Knife Works.

The other I chose was the Spyderco Delica 4: Made in Japan with VG-10 steel. I can deal with the FRN handles after feeling them, but don't care for the lock back much. That being said, it could become my favorite EDC very easily. $79.99 at Smokey Mountain Knife Works.

I was headed to Pigeon Forge for a few days so we (wife and I) just stopped in SMKW and picked them up.

Yeah, I think I'm going to like these two a lot.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Spiderco is my favorite!
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Nice! Delica's are great blades you won't be disappointed with it!
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

I like both of them.

Had something odd happen with the 5.11 today tho. I had it clipped in the left pocket, point down, blade against the seem. (Let's not get into a debate over point up or down either please, I'm trying both. Knives to me are more tool than defensive weapons so it matters not). Anyway, I had a long sleeve button up shirt on over top of a t-shirt. I go to take the button up shirt off, the bottom of the shirt (the sewn hem had curled as they sometimes do) and grabbed the clip, pulled the knife right out of the pocket. The knife, now get this, "somehow fully opened" and landed on the floor (lucky it didn't land point first and poke a hole in my kitchen linoleum.

Now this knife has no thumb stud to catch on the edge of the pocket on the way out. It was point down. It's not spring assisted either, but it flew open like it was spring assisted. Go figure.

So I put a little more bend on the end of the clip so it is closer to the material of my pants. Maybe less chance of a shirt grabbing it again. If I have anymore issues with it, I'll remove the clip entirely and put enough bend on it so it touches the knife handle (or pretty darn close to it) so that a shirt can't grab it.

Here's what the clip looks like. I bent the end of the clip so it slopes toward the knife grip a little. It was perpendicular like the long part of the clip.

511 clip.jpg
    Last edited by tkruf; March 8th, 2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Add a photo
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I bought a spyderco delica in 1997 as my graduation gift from the police academy. Still in my left pocket.

Cool. I like the Spyderco a lot.

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using Tapatalk
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I've got the Delica 4 with the Emerson wave and love it. Great knife. One handed opening right from the pocket. No thumb screws, buttons, or holes to fumble with.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links