MacYoung's Myth-Busting Makes Sense to Me. How about You?

This is a discussion on MacYoung's Myth-Busting Makes Sense to Me. How about You? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most of you know of Marc "Animal" MacYoung. Like him or not, what about these almost 20 myths regarding training? I think that he covers ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Pistology
  • 2 Post By BadgerJ
  • 1 Post By CR Williams

Thread: MacYoung's Myth-Busting Makes Sense to Me. How about You?

Distinguished Member

MacYoung's Myth-Busting Makes Sense to Me. How about You?

Most of you know of Marc "Animal" MacYoung. Like him or not, what about these almost 20 myths regarding training?
    I think that he covers deploying to prevail in a fight for your gun in lies, 2 and 3. Bring the knife to the fight to get to your gun.
    Caertaker, JD and mano3 like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Did you know that in competition Olympic Judo that the throws are almost never done as you see in most Judo textbooks?

What MMY is saying is that in a high chaos situation, no 'planned', or skillful textbook moves are going to be available to you. Now, that doesn't mean they don't 'work'. Mostly it's that you don't have the right time, situation, visual or tactile abilities to pull them off in an ambush. In a real, high chaos SD situation, it's the one who has 'seen it coming', pre-deployed, or gets lucky that prevails. Though one might quibble with any of his 'lies', his method of trying to bring real 'sense' to the issue is well conceived.

Think of it this way: when you consider fighting with a gun, you realize it's not simple. Yet people act as though they think they could prevail with fists and feet. Most SD tactics are 'overly-optimistic', and there really are no 'winners'. That's why even brave men stay out of street confrontations, don't insert themselves in others' conflicts.

FWIW
    oldnfat and molleur like this.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    It is a very excellent write-up. Most of what he does is.
    molleur likes this.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I read about this guy years ago, never found any proof of what he claims to be. His articles are ok but I don't believe much without proof.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Did you know that in competition Olympic Judo that the throws are almost never done as you see in most Judo textbooks?

What MMY is saying is that in a high chaos situation, no 'planned', or skillful textbook moves are going to be available to you. Now, that doesn't mean they don't 'work'. Mostly it's that you don't have the right time, situation, visual or tactile abilities to pull them off in an ambush. In a real, high chaos SD situation, it's the one who has 'seen it coming', pre-deployed, or gets lucky that prevails. Though one might quibble with any of his 'lies', his method of trying to bring real 'sense' to the issue is well conceived.

Think of it this way: when you consider fighting with a gun, you realize it's not simple. Yet people act as though they think they could prevail with fists and feet. Most SD tactics are 'overly-optimistic', and there really are no 'winners'. That's why even brave men stay out of street confrontations, don't insert themselves in others' conflicts.

FWIW
    Good points, Badger. Olympic judo is just a game. Street fights have too many random elements to handicap (accurately predict) its course or outcome, as gentlemen know to avoid them.
    A salient point from the article are that knives are as lethal in court as guns (bears repeating, though many of us know). Actually, in my mind, in a knife fight, my knife and movements are as dangerous to me as to anyone. You don't hear much about people stabbing or slashing themselves except maybe in the testimony of the "winner" in court: "He fell on his own knife". But it is a real danger.
    Maybe I have to read more closely. Maybe I need to train more. I definitely need to avoid and evade fights. And I shall until I have to counter to escape.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Never heard of him, but I agree with what he says, and have said many of the same things myself.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

JD
    Administrator
    Good read. We've been doing a lot of knife work on class of late and this is all pretty much spot on.

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

Links