Boker Trench Knife

Boker Trench Knife

This is a discussion on Boker Trench Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When my father returned from Europe after a long, unplanned backpacking trek through Europe and into Germany, he brought back a collection of German knives. ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By OPFOR
  • 1 Post By pgrass101

Thread: Boker Trench Knife

Thumbs up Boker Trench Knife

When my father returned from Europe after a long, unplanned backpacking trek through Europe and into Germany, he brought back a collection of German knives. As a member of the Greatest Generation, they were put away in a dusty box and forgotten until given to me. My DW then had them installed in a large glass case. Most are ceremonial style award blades, but several had the patina of real use. One such of these was the knife, below left. It had a metal sheath with metal belt clips. I am sorry for the poor photo quality, but it is in a glass case on my wall.

It was 1915 when Heinrich Boker & Co. Solingen received the government order to develop a compact fighting knife that would be especially useful for trench warfare.
    That was, of course, a German contract for the German Army.

After 90 years, we [Boker] are reproducing the original knife blade out of high carbon steel with 0.75% carbon. The pronounced steel crossguard, the wood forearm handle, (designed for a firm and safe grip), and the official tang stamp are identical to the original trench knife - as is the cowhide leather sheath. On the back of the blade, each knife shows its serial number. Blade length: 5 5/8". Overall length: 10". Weight: 5.9 oz.
    So, when Boker reintroduced this knife, I picked one up (for much less than Boker suggests, BTW) for sentimental reasons. They remind me of my father, and the Greatest Generation slipping away so fast. He was a member of the 84th Division. I have his Division history "Book" as well as his original Bill Maudlin Up Front.

Times like this I really miss him. He was in the early EOD, and never talked about the war, other than a couple of funny stories he'd tell if pestered. Apparently his group would go out at night to clear paths for advances, and as a result, they always had fresh eggs they liberated from barns. That makes me smile. Fresh eggs must have been worth their weight in gold after the mud and cold of the war, and later the Battle of the Bulge.

Upon his return, he enrolled at the University of Kansas, then went home and partied with his friends until finals, which he passed with flying colors. He still laughed about that first semester............I have my suspicions he saw the bottom of more than one bottle of Scotch, which to be honest, no one complained about. Even to his death in SoCal, his feet suffered from the cold. That was probably pretty common, although they never said much about it.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Nice story and nice knife, I have a Boker pocket knife that was my Grandfathers and I carry it everyday
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Sponsor
    Provenance on those makes great reading. Nice you've got them on display sir.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    I have several Boker reproduction WW2 knives--very high quality.

Germany build some VASTLY superior equipment in WWII. Lucky (for us) that they failed to produce ENOUGH of it FAST enough. Great story, fine collection, great knives.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Lead Moderator
    Nice knife especially with the sentimental value attached.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member
    Very nice, story and all. Display them proudly!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    Very nice , for a guy like me that never seen the style and types of knifes it is nice people showcase them here to share with us (me) . Thank You .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Links