A Bit OT, How to Find info to return Someones Knife

This is a discussion on A Bit OT, How to Find info to return Someones Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods, if there's a place this would be better located, please move. It's not really on topic either way, but I felt this may be ...

Mods, if there's a place this would be better located, please move. It's not really on topic either way, but I felt this may be one of the best places to post to get the information.

My dad collects old knives, and purchases "lots" which sometimes have between 5-20 knives. Well, I was home over the holidays, and he said he wanted to show me something.

It was a Ka-Bar knife, with an inscription:
    MSgt X. X. XXXXXX
    For 20 years of dedicated service to the Corps
    Date 1967 - Date 1987

Now, the first thing that came to mind was that this was a stolen item that was hocked somewhere along the line. Needless to say, I'd like to try to get it back to the Marine, or at least his family. Does anyone have any contacts or any idea on the best way to get this done?

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated, and mods, if you can at least allow this to run some place on the site, it may help find the gentleman who earned this knife.

Thanks everyone; best wishes for the New Year!

Tony

cray,

You are a good man, good luck finding the Marine and let us know if/when you do.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Cant really say where you could find the info im going to move this over to the knives section

VIP Member
    Try contacting BUPERS for the USMC. If your lucky & tell them what your doing, you may get someone to help.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    There are a couple (or more) of sites that are a sorta "locator" for past military people. With name,branch of service,and approx. year(s) served you should be able to come up with something close to a address. Especially if he has anything to do with the VA. Seems that he is retired so that will help the ID also.

Walk into a AMVETS or American Legion and ask for their help. ------

How about - anyone seen this pistol?

Somewhere out there (I hope it's with a collector), there's an old 1911 serial# 9X,XXX (yep, under 100,000) which used to belong to me.

Well, in one of those things that happen in life, I lost the weapon back in 1984 I guess it was.

The pistol is/was in excellent condition - all original.

It has ONE very distinctive feature, on the slide is engraved:

my initials M.J. and surname XX XX XXXXX (three words) U.S.M.C.

Wonder if I'll ever see it hear about it again?

Hope you find that Master Sargent and are able to return his K-Bar.
    Sure he would appreciate it, maybe even kiss you.

Quote Originally Posted by marcodelat View Post
    Somewhere out there (I hope it's with a collector), there's an old 1911 serial# 9X,XXX (yep, under 100,000) which used to belong to me.

Well, in one of those things that happen in life, I lost the weapon back in 1984 I guess it was.

The pistol is/was in excellent condition - all original.

It has ONE very distinctive feature, on the slide is engraved:

my initials M.J. and surname XX XX XXXXX (three words) U.S.M.C.

Wonder if I'll ever see it hear about it again?

Hope you find that Master Sargent and are able to return his K-Bar.
    Sure he would appreciate it, maybe even kiss you.
    I dunno about the kiss .. but if I can get it back to him, it might even be worth it.

Anyway several of your posts make good sense, and I'm even an American Legion member .. duuuhhh. But, your posts led me to another idea.

I just got off the phone with my Congressman's Office (Tom Cole (R) OK). They are very interested and assurred me that they could cut through any red tape which might come up. They are working on it now .. our tax dollars at work. 'Bout time I got something for my tax dollars

Anyway, it's a mission now and I'm going to see it through. It may turn out that the knife inscription was in error and it was never presented. If that's the case, I'd still like to find out. Happy 2007 everyone.

Tony

Cray, a good place to start would be Sgt Grit's, here in OKC. I can't remember the owner's name, but Mike Jones (ex-Marine, ex-TOPS knife dealer) is a mutual friend. They have a bunch of contacts.
    http://www.grunt.com/

Tony,

Actually that is a great idea to get ahold of the Congressman, maybe in conjunction with that if they have no luck they can hold a press confrence to get the word out.

That is good to hear that they are willing to help with this. Keep us posted.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Might want to post the information on Sniper Country Many Ex military hang out there.

I'm would like to locate a Buck Frontiersman engraved Sgt R L Macke with my Serial number 1964XXX It stayed in SVN when I left.

VIP Member
    Go up the attached link. While it is for AD Marines, there is a telephone number and they will help you.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/ind.nsf/locator

If that doesn't work contact me and I will get some balls rolling for you at HQMC.

Thanks for caring.

Semper Fi.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Links