CRKT Auto Lawks feature.

CRKT Auto Lawks feature.

This is a discussion on CRKT Auto Lawks feature. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've owned and used Columbia River knives for a few years now. My daily carry is a full size plain M21 that just feels like ...

Thread: CRKT Auto Lawks feature.

CRKT Auto Lawks feature.

I've owned and used Columbia River knives for a few years now.
    My daily carry is a full size plain M21 that just feels like an extension of my hand, I also have numerous M16s and many other CRKT blades.
    You could say I am a fan of their cutlery.
    But for those of you that don't know they have recently made the LAWKS feature automatic, previously it was optional. It's a good feature but I don't want to have to use it when I don't want to and see this as a mistake by CRKT, they are trying to be too safe.
    I was bought a new M16 for Christmas and noticed the change, the LAWKS lever is now bright red.
    Now when you want to fold the knife it takes either a convoluted one handed action, or two hands. That isn't acceptable when with my M21 I can open and close with one hand in pitch darkness.
    They've over-complicated a good thing.

Also, all previous CRKT knives of mine were made in Taiwan, this one is made in China. A subtle difference but the finish and materials seem poorer in comparison, for example the matt black paint on the blade has two areas where the paint is missing.

In short, I am anticipating the decline of the once great (for the price) CRKT. I hope they pull themselves back up, I may need to buy another M21 one day.

LaP
    Wow, THAT is one bright red button! I just got a M16-11K for Christmas and it does NOT have a red button. And as you mentioned, mine was made in Taiwan.

Yes. The Taiwan versions are fine, and in my opinion worth seeking out before they run out.
    The red dot is not only bright but tacky looking, and potentially visible when you don't want it to be.

personally, I disagree. Granted, I think the bright red button is a dumb idea but AFAIC, the auto-lawks is the only thing that makes a liner-lock knife worth carrying. I've had liner-lock knives from several manufacturers (from $40 Kershaws to $200 CUDA's) that all failed within anywhere from a month to a year. I'd never buy another one if it wasn't equipped with something like this.

JMO...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

depends on use I guess...I like the idea of the auto lawks for a definsive knife...that way you don't have to manually turn it on...just a thought.

True it does depend on use. My M21 is daily carry for use on in construction work scenarios, opening packaging scoring, trimming, marking etc.
    I never engage the LAWKS, it has never closed onto my hand. I can open it as fast as an assisted opener, I can close it without looking at it one handed.
    I'm not sure the AutoLAWKS is bad for everyone, I just don't appreciate having a safety on a knife that is always 'on'.

Sometimes the small things in life are the only ones worth moaning about.

With a little practice, I was able to get used to one hand opening and closing of the m16. However, it takes 3 fingers to close. Use your middle finger to disengage the "lawks" feature, your thumb to slide the standard lock to the side and your index finger to move the blade closed.

I personally don't like the extra lock either, but I can deal with it.

I have six M16 models and three of them have the auto-lawks. I always engaged the lawks on my other models anyway, so the auto-lawks on the new ones never really bothered me that much.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I think i would pull the dammed spring , but then i also remove mag safetys from browning hps lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

My EDC knife is CRKT M21-14SF and my back-up knife is M21-12, Ilike the safety LAWKS you don't have to lock it anymore. It' a good quality knife for self defense and and for your everyday use.
    Up in the Sky, It's a Bird No, It's a Plane No, It's SUPERMAN

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    personally, I disagree. Granted, I think the bright red button is a dumb idea but AFAIC, the auto-lawks is the only thing that makes a liner-lock knife worth carrying. I've had liner-lock knives from several manufacturers (from $40 Kershaws to $200 CUDA's) that all failed within anywhere from a month to a year. I'd never buy another one if it wasn't equipped with something like this.

JMO...
    I agree....I have a Boker-made, AOW "branded" liner-lock knife (Emerson knockoff). It doesn't have a feature like the LAWKS...well, it closed on me...thankfully, it didn't fully close...despite that, I was still cut. I gave it to a Boker rep at the SHOT Show and it was replaced....well, the replacement's liner "slipped" the locking notch too and almost closed on me too.

I carry another Boker knife with a lock-back (very sturdy!) and I also carry two CRKT knives, both with LAWKS...I haven't had a problem with either knife yet.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Dont get me wrong guys i like the " lawks " feature , its the auto lock i have issues with , i dont need it for light cutting such as boxes ect.. but for heavy cuttying ( such as the netting on big round bales ) its simple to flip it on , then back off . I just am not sold on auto features to protect me from myself i guess.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I recently got a M16-10KZ from WallyWorld for less than $20. It is made in China, but I am impressed enough with this knife (including the Lawks with the silly red dot) that my next good knife will be a CRKT.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links