MOD Razorback

This is a discussion on MOD Razorback within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone seen of heard of this knife? It's endorsed by Masaad Ayoob, ex-lawman, personal defense expert. One of my thoughts on the weapon is: Why ...

Thread: MOD Razorback

MOD Razorback

Anyone seen of heard of this knife? It's endorsed by Masaad Ayoob, ex-lawman, personal defense expert. One of my thoughts on the weapon is: Why would someone of his experience design a blade that penetrates life-saving body armor? I understand the marketing behind it, but where is the logic?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Actually, any good blade will go through kevlar body armor, it has very little resistance to stabbing. This is why prison guards wear special stabbing resistant vests, since they are far more likely to face shank wielding threats than gunfire.

I don't know anything about the razorback's "armor-piercing tip", but some testing has found that tanto point blades are less likely to penetrate a leather jacket than more pointed ones. They may just be saying that unlike some tantos they put a decent point on this one.

VIP Member
    I have the Razorback.

There are different tanto shapes; the modern "American tantos" like the Cold Steel ones have such a sharp angle the blade almost looks like a chisel. Historically, the tanto shape didn't have that angle at all. The Razorback has a lean profile with the angles on the knife creating a narrower point - less chisel-like than most other American tantos.

The American tanto makes for poor utility cutting - when I want a clean cut, the material ends up hanging on the blade and making an ugly tear. So no cutting Christmas wrapping paper with a tanto!

Tantos get touted for having a better ability to poke through harder materials like car hoods (Cold Steel likes to advertise this) because the sharp angles leaves more steel meat down at the vulnerable tip area. So having a tanto is great if a car hood ever attacks you.

I was looking for a fixed blade, legal length, concealable knife, and I chose the Razorback. It fits the hand well and I've had no problem poking through things in Poking Through Things testing.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Betty, you beat me to it (regarding the difference between the traditional tanto and the "American tanto")

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    ...and I've had no problem poking through things in Poking Through Things testing.
    Sounds very scientific
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

look big to me. is it to big to fit in your pocket????
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

nope, not that big. about the size of your average steak knife. Comes with a kydex sheath. i beleive you can rig it up in several different ways to suit your needs. I have handled it once, I have to say, I think I want it. feels sturdy enough to get the job done, and I do like the smaller profile balde; good for glancing/blocking type inflictions, and seems small enough to slip right in between the ribs.
    Kenny G is allowed to live because Chuck Norris doesn't kill women.
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com

VIP Member
    Sounds very scientific
    ...and involved layers of cardboard and FedEx envelopes.

I carried the Razorback IWB, clipped to my waistband.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator
    I really like the razorback, its a cool little knife.
    I generally don't like MOD knives, they seem to be all flash catering to the dungeons and dragons crowd. The razorback is a keeper though.

frankmako, the razorback is perfect sized for its intended use, would be uncomfortable for pocket carry, but about any other method of carry would be fine.

Links