knife for SHTF bag ? - Page 2

knife for SHTF bag ?

This is a discussion on knife for SHTF bag ? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a lot of knives: folders, small & big blades Etc But in my BOB is my USMC issued K bar with a sharping ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: knife for SHTF bag ?

I have a lot of knives: folders, small & big blades Etc But in my BOB is my USMC issued K bar with a sharping stone.

Since I always have a folder in my pocket putting another in my BOB would just take up space needed for other items

LaP
    For about fifty dollars, I bought a Buck Nighthawk. It's almost 5" of partial serated blade with a handle made of grippy (that may not be a real word, but I like it anyway) rubberized nylon. For an emergency tool, it's resonably priced. I'm sure there are more tactically correct knives out there, but this one suits me just fine.

Agreed multi-tool. My preference is the SwissTool by Victorinox. Made for the actual daily user in mind.
    As far as BOB knives go, I'd agree on the SEAL Pup, and the Buck Nighthawk. But I lean towards a larger knife either a bowie or a kukri. If you go with a small fixed blade, carry a Cold Steel Viet Nam Tomahawk with it to do the heavier chopping chores like making a shelter, or chopping wood, or chopping for defense, or even hacking your way out of something like a window, or what have you. Having a tool with reach and impact power is a huge advantage. Also, the Cold Steel Trailmaster or the Western Bowie.
    http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blade...er-series.html
    http://www.coldsteel.com/90vt.html

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    M9 Bayonet.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

The blades in my BOB are a ColdSteel Recon Tanto, My USMC issue KA-BAR, a folding e-tool,a couple of multi tools and a Spec Plus machete. I always carry a folder as well as a swiss army knife.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Buck Vanguard.

In my big SHTF bag I have a hachet, and a Gerber collapsible saw.

Yeah, the Gerber (not baby food) Co. makes a nice kit you can buy at Bass Pro Shop that comes with a hatchet and survival knife. Not bad for around $40. Saw's are more efficient and quiet to use. Cross cut blade is the best for a wood saw. SOG is coming out with a new tomahawk, it looks promising. Another good knife that Cold Steel makes for just over $20 is the Bushman. It is a large bladed one-piece design, and has a hollow handle. The sheath is a bit cheap but will do. Here is a link where I added a paracord wrap to the handle to add a grip to it:
    http://www.geocities.com/duracles/Bushmanpage1.html
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

A Leatherman Multi Tool and a Cop Tool from Wilson Tactical

http://www.wilsontactical.com/detail.aspx?ID=27

I like this little piece so much I am getting my brother one for his birthday.

I see lots of applications on the Fire Department side and I know my brother will see the same on the Police Department side as well.

Just a note on the design as all the input was taken from public safety/ Military personnel and the execution goes to the son of Wilson Tactical as this was his baby.
    TecRsq
    North Gawga

The Oath of the Right-Wing Extremist:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands. One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Ok guys - good or bad decision on my part ?

Trying to be efficient while packing the SHTF bag, I was thinking for a large fixed blade knife, Id toss in a bayonet for the AR15 carbine also in the bag. Is the bayonette a particularly bad choice?

The carbine is broken down for easy stowage in the SHTF bag, dont want to really flash it, you know! I also have a multitool in there too.

Shizzlemah;
    No, I don't think the "Bayonet" is a bad choice. My thinking is that if you can pack it comfortably and efficiently then there should be no problem. Do what works best for you. Once you have the items for your SHTF / BOB ready pack it all in and see if it works together.

IMO such a bag should be completely void of all excess, allowing for mobility and space for other items that may become necessary that you cannot predict. Whether or not a bayonet is a good addition is if you really see yourself needing to use a bayonet. Ask yourself:
    Is the bayonet really combat practical for SHTF? Maybe for your local area it is. Maybe not.
    Is there enough reason to have a bayonet AND a combat knife?
    How much effort does it require to render useful?
    How much space does it take up that could be used for something more important?

Well I was thinking more along the lines of a bayonet instead of a combat knife. Not necesarrily attached to the barrel, maybe just hanging on my belt.

It's very similar to many of the knives being mentioned. Namely "swelled" grips and a full tang. SOmeone recommended a knife that could easily be bound to a stake for a spear. Substitute "stake" for carbine.

Appreciate all the feedback guys!

I'll post another thread as the bag builds up. Pretty basic for the moment. AR+ammo, 9mm ammo- ball & birdsdhot (9mm with me at all times), heavy wool pants, few pair of socks, couple of t-shirts and fleeces, energy bars, powdered drink mix, dog food, multitool, paracord, small 2-man tent, GPS, handheld ham transceiver.

Debating AR carbine vs shorty 12ga, but that's another story entirely!

I use a buck/strider solutions on my web gear it is a great knife, sharp and the way it's cut makes the tip super strong so I know I gotta use it as a prybar to break it. I have snapped the tip off of Benchmades in the past not even doing things that I thought were strenuios (spelling). If it is big for you they also have folders that are nice and will save you some cash versus buying an actual Strider. But once you get it you will want a Strider/Strider.

Take a look at them the sheath is a good one that holds my leatherman supertool very nicely.

Matt

Your favorite multitool, and a Swedish Mora Clipper model (under $10).
    \"What you\'ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response where you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul.\" My adoring wife, at least once a day.

sm
    USGI Issued "GI Demo Knife"
    SAK Soldier
    Case Camp knife

These three are main spear blade, awl, can/bottle opening designs proven.

SAK Red Nylon Solo

Case Sodbuster / Sodbuster Jr, Case Trapper / Case Trapper Jr., Case Barehead Trapper.

Old Hickory (1095 steel) Paring, Utensil and 6" Butcher knives.

Sandpaper , padded Emery boards , Norton India stones for sharpening.
    Use Enough Gun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links