knife for SHTF bag ?

This is a discussion on knife for SHTF bag ? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, I don't know a whole lot about knives but wanted to put one in the SHTF bag. What are some general recomendations? Fixed or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: knife for SHTF bag ?

knife for SHTF bag ?

Guys, I don't know a whole lot about knives but wanted to put one in the SHTF bag. What are some general recomendations? Fixed or folder ? Size?

I carry a columbia river M16 everywhere, but figured there may be better knives suited for the task.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Kbar.

I 2nd SIXTO's suggestion K-BAR. A fixed blade "Fighting/Utility" Knife. If you're packing a tactical vest a Gerber MLF II is good option because it's sheath is MOLLE Compatible.

I don't know where you'll be heading when the SHTF but if you're heading to a hunting camp, ranch or the woods a good Machete, Gut Hook and Hand Axe are all good things to have with you.
    Last edited by COWBOYF550; January 7th, 2007 at 09:40 PM.

I'd suggest that no BOB would be complete without a Leatherman or some other sort of multitool. That said, you may still want a dedicated knife to go along with it.

A Multi-Tool is a definate must!

K-Bar is great, but there are a lot of knockoffs on that one out there. If the job is personal combat, and concealability then I'd go for the Benchmade auto OTF (Out The Front) model they call The Infidel. It ain't cheap but I'd stake my neck on it. Also, BlackHawk knives puts out a nice model they call The NightWing. COLD STEEL makes some excellent fixed blades too. Gotta have a good multi-tool as well.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My bag has a Leatherman Wave multi-tool and a Becker Necker fixed blade knife.

The Becker fit my idea of the "sharpened prybar" knife. It is made with a skeletonized handle. I had the Sheath Mechanic add a Kydex grip.

Bill

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I'm quite fond of my Kukuhri. A good 12" or so machete may also instead do the trick. It's been said that a big knif can do the job of a small knife, but a small knife can't do the job of a big knife.

Another good idea is to get something with a 5-8" realatively straight blade that can be lashed to a pole for use as a spear. For that you'll want a sturdy blade and a full tang (you always want a full tang)
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have my Leatherman multi-tool, and my trusty Gerber Fastdraw.

Senior Moderator
    A good multi-tool is a must, so is a fixed blade utility knife. I have a Glock combat knife that is my beater knife. It is used as a pry bar, shovel tent stake etc.... That way I don't "destroy" or damaged my good knife, until I have too.

I have a SOG Seal PUP that I take with me any time I am hiking or in the Mountains. Fix blade with full metal tang will stand up to more abuse than a folder will.

Carbine steel is more easy than stainless to sharpen, but finding it is becoming harder. Holds an edge nicely as well.

Cold Steel makes a nice one in carbine steel but it is longer than I wanted for my application 8-9 inches over all.

Make sure the knife is comfortable in your hands.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Sponsor
    Multi-tool is a must have as others mentioned.

I think a Kbar is also a good straight knife to have in the kit. My Kbar has seen some really nasty times and has never failed when I thought it should have.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy View Post
    I have a SOG Seal PUP that I take with me any time I am hiking or in the Mountains. Fix blade with full metal tang will stand up to more abuse than a folder will.

Carbine steel is more easy than stainless to sharpen, but finding it is becoming harder. Holds an edge nicely as well.

Cold Steel makes a nice one in carbine steel but it is longer than I wanted for my application 8-9 inches over all.

Make sure the knife is comfortable in your hands.
    Full length Seal here; same thing, just twice the length. Did yours come with the cloth or kydex holster? I had a cloth sheath with my Seal Pup, but I no longer have that knife. Long story there.

I fashioned some leg-drop straps for my kydex, and put the receiving end of the clip on my pistol belt. I need to get a leg-drop for the handgun, now, though.

There seems to be two schools of thought for survival/SHTF situation knives, medium 4 to 6 inch knives and big 7 inch to machete sized. I would carry both if the SHTF. When I hike and camp I think of the time spent outdoors as practice for **** scenarios so I keep a medium size knife on my belt such as a Gerber Harsey Hunter 5.41 inch blade and a larger knife in a backpack like a Camillus Becker Combat Bowie BK-9, 9inch blade or a Ontario Randall's Adventure & Training RTAK 10 inch blade

SOG Seal or Baby Seal. True Grunt blades.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links