Be careful out there!

This is a discussion on Be careful out there! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just the other night my friend tried to cut a piece of paper with his Kershaw Storm. With very little pressure he almost cut the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be careful out there!

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar

Be careful out there!

Just the other night my friend tried to cut a piece of paper with his Kershaw Storm. With very little pressure he almost cut the tip of his thumb off ! Had to take him to the emergency room. These toys for boys are dangerous . He'll be shooting one-handed for a little bit.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    yep, sharp blades can hurt. (first hand knowledge).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    ...oh yeah...ouch.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I once sharpened a blade for a fellow worker. We took him in for stitches as he was cut to the bone on his thumb. He kept saying how could a knife be that sharp!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Did that while sitting on the tarmac waiting to deploy to Kosovo years ago. Had a brand new Gerber Multi-tool and was "testing" the blade and split open my thumb. Dont take much. Thankfully it wasnt as bad as your friends, all I did was superglue mine shut.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Assistant Administrator
    Not ''tactical'' I know but - I have a passion for keen blades and I sharpened our two old steel kitchen knives a ways back - and next day my wife cut herself!!!

I hate dull blades !!!! Nothing better than all but ''resting'' the blade on the meat - as one draws it back, seeing it then all but drop thru the job
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I was practicing the "wave" function with a knife that was similar to, but not, an actual wave design (either Emerson or Spyderco), and I about cut my fingertip off.

I was unemployed at the time, and didn't have medical coverage, so amid protests from my wife (fiancee at the time), simply threw a paper towel and some electrical tape on it. Couldn't feel my fingertip for a while, but it got better.

I've closed a knife on my thumb a couple of times. Cut my right pointer finger a couple of times.

Not recently though, looks like I learned my lesson. hehe. All I need is one down the arm or across the face for the ladies right?

Just bought my first "real" folder (first folding knife since I was a kid with swiss army knives), and I was practicing one handed deployment and nicked my thumb good by doing it faster than I should have. It's a cheap knife...a Sheffield "Granite" folder...so it wasn't too sharp, thankfully, or I imagine it would have been worse. Cheap lesson in blade safety!

Senior Moderator
    I had to go get stiches last month for stabbing myself in my left hand. The Dr. who was sewing me up looked at other scars on my hand and said "I see you've done this before"

I guess I'm a slow learner

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I once sharpened a knife so well that when I touched my thumb to it to feel the edge, the skin tension alone against the edge created a 1/8th in deep cut.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Remember, think sharp and life will never be dull!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Actually though more people are cut with dull knives because they have to use more force to get through what they are cutting, thereby causing the knife to slip. Whenever I sharpened all the kitchen knives I always told those who lived in the house at the time,they were sharp. Anyone who knows me very long, knows that when I say sharp I mean that hair jumps off your arm just to not be cut.

Oh, on a side note, I once counted all the scars on my hands, I hade 25 on the left and 20 on the right. That was about 20 years ago, I am sure they have doubled now.

I think that it is a right a passage.

I have a scar on a finger of my right hand from the first time I tried using a simple Gerber folder.

Scared me silly at first, blood flew everywhere, but the result was just a small scar and a reminder to "be careful out there".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links