Spyderco Delica 4 Review - Initial Impressions

This is a discussion on Spyderco Delica 4 Review - Initial Impressions within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently found myself in need of a knife with a blade under 3.5". I have an Endura 4, and like it very much, so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Spyderco Delica 4 Review - Initial Impressions

Spyderco Delica 4 Review - Initial Impressions

I recently found myself in need of a knife with a blade under 3.5". I have an Endura 4, and like it very much, so I decided to spring for its little brother, the Delica 4.

The Delica 4 has a VG-10 blade that is 2.875" long. The cutting edge is 2.5" long. The blade on the Delica is just shy of 1" shorter than the Endura, as is the cutting edge.

This is the plain edge model, instead of the full flat ground model (which I typically prefer). But I think I actually like the look of the plain edge better on a smaller knife.

The handle is Fiberglass-Reinforced Nylon, and has a very grippy feel. The fact that the pocket clip takes up more than half of the handle is only noticeable when you look at the knife; it doesn't affect the feel of or my grip on the knife.

The knife fits very well in my hand when it is open, but I find it a bit small for my liking when closed. This is particularly apparent when trying to open the knife quickly with one hand (I was able to do this after some practice, but it is hard to get a full purchase on the handle while trying to open it).

Also, while this is probably fuzzy logic, it is hard for me to pay almost as much for the Endura, while getting less blade for the money.

The Delica's suggested MSRP is $109.95, while the Endura's is 114.95. They can both be had for MUCH less on Amazon.com, $56.14 and $59.73, respectively (at the time of this post, the prices change frequently).

In short, I like the knife, and I am pleased with it. It fills a specific niche for me; a short knife for when I need it. However, I can legally carry a larger knife... usually, and definitely prefer to do so.

This won't be my EDC anytime soon, that spot is reserved for my Endura, but I am confident in its ability to get the job done when I can't carry a bigger knife.
    scottync likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

2. Remove Ads

When they first came out I got one as a present from an observant nephew and then I bought two more, one in the plain edge and one in the semi serrated. At that time they cost about $33. + tax
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

The wave version is a favorite of mine (I have a delicate and endura). Makes opening a breeze.
    Badey likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Nice! The Delica is one of my all time favorites. I have two of them, a purple on in VG-10 that my dad got for me and a gray one in Super Blue (ie Super Aogami). Very nice stuff!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I have a number of pocket folders for EDC but the Delica has been a favorite for years.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S4 far, far away...
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

My EDC is a Spyderco Dragonfly in Super Blue. Love my Spydies!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I have an old one. The blade lock doesn't work any more and the clip is missing. I have been meaning to send it in for repair for a couple of years. Mine has the metal handle, which is kind of slippery.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

looks good.. I'm more a Benchmade fan, but I do have space for a few more..
    May have to pick me up one. of those Spyderco.

I personaly don't like the sperdeco because of the hole.I have the bench made mini and full size gryptillion with the thumb studs and I just can't get used to the hole.They are good knives though.I am not knocking them.

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I personaly don't like the sperdeco because of the hole.I have the bench made mini and full size gryptillion with the thumb studs and I just can't get used to the hole.They are good knives though.I am not knocking them.
    I am just the opposite. I used to hate the idea of the "spidey hole," and thought it would be difficult to use. However, I have found that I actually prefer it. For me, it is easier to find without looking, allows for easier opening of the knife (taking less force), and is much easier to use when I am wearing gloves. I still like my other knives with thumb studs, but I have come to prefer the "spidey hole."
    JDE101 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I have a mini griptillian with thumb stud. Once in a while the stud catches on my pocket. Co-worker has a griptillian with hole. Seems to work well.

My next purchase will probably have the hole. Looking at a Manix..

I'm a Kershaw Leek guy....I just can't get past FRN. I hate it.

Nice nice knife though and I'm glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Czombie View Post
    I'm a Kershaw Leek guy....I just can't get past FRN. I hate it.

Nice nice knife though and I'm glad you like it.
    Yeah, FRN doesn't look very pretty. It initially almost kept me from getting an Endura. However, it feels pretty nice in the hand.

I bought a Delica about 5 years ago and carried it daily until about 2 years ago when I purchased an Endura. It is now my EDC knife. I love 'em both! I have carried some kind of a knife almost everday since I was about 7 years old. (Back when I was a kid, you could, and did, carry a pocket knife to school! Just about every boy, and even some girls, carried a knife. They were considered TOOLS!) Can you imagine that in today's liberal "nanny state" environment! I've been very happy with my "Spidey" knives since I got them.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Thanks for sharing. I too like the Delica 4 and gave it a decent review on my knife blog.
    For about $60 you can do a lot worse! Sure FRN is not for everyone.
    Badey likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links