Embarrassing Incident at the Spyderco Booth - Page 2

Embarrassing Incident at the Spyderco Booth

This is a discussion on Embarrassing Incident at the Spyderco Booth within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Considering the intended grip for use I'd much rather have an Emerson folding Kerambit, if I'm not mistaken Tangle bought one a while back and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Embarrassing Incident at the Spyderco Booth

Considering the intended grip for use I'd much rather have an Emerson folding Kerambit, if I'm not mistaken Tangle bought one a while back and he seemed to like it.
    Jack

If a knife doesn't fall into the KISS principle I don't even give it a second look. Thanks for the info.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Spyderco gizmo knife.

I like my Spyderco knives as much as anyone else,'specially the Delica & Police models. But in a self defense situation, let me tell ya, fine motor skills(the ability to make small precise exact motions with your didgets) go right OUT the window. When your adrenalin is pumping thru your veins, and your heart is beating like a trip hammer while your trying to fend off some creep, trying to activate a nifty little gadget knife is going to be impossable. A self defense knife has to be easy to get to, and easily deployed. Something you can "grab and yank, and be ready to shank (with)". I prefer the "sting" knives from A.G. Russel for IWB carry, and the "hissatsu" from CRKT, which I carry tucked into my gun belt at work, using two wood beads tied to the kydex sheath that act as improvised "frogs" to keep it from shifting or slipping out of carry position. Just my humble opinion.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my Dog"

VIP Member
    You're absolutely right. That Spyderco is a gadget "lookee here" knife for casual duty and not much more. I doubt it was designed as anything else, but I was quite disappointed anyway, since Spyderco has a good track record of making solid, practical knives.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Sorry to resurrect a dead post...

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    You're absolutely right. That Spyderco is a gadget "lookee here" knife for casual duty and not much more. I doubt it was designed as anything else, but I was quite disappointed anyway, since Spyderco has a good track record of making solid, practical knives.
    I know that this post is mega-old but I had to join to give my nearly 6 year EDC experience with the bi-fold. Sorry to resurrect such an ancient post. While admittedly, my bi-fold has not seen hard-working use per se, it has seen use and has been flicked open countless times. It still functions and practically looks like new. It fits in my fifth pocket and when in the open state essentially becomes a fixed Fred Perrin La Griffe. In a worst case scenario you may pinch the palm of your hand a bit, but if the lock fails, you won't lose any fingers and the knife would still be functional due to the design. It is an amazing knife and there's a reason it won that award. I would not feel poorly armed with just a bi-fold in my pocket. The small size is a plus as well as the carry options are nearly limitless. It's an idea that was ahead of its time and I suspect that the concept will be brought back one day. Every custom knife maker and layman that I show mine to is amazed at it. It's just too good to let pass into the halls of knife oddity history.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    So the body of the knife unfolds off of the blade essentialy.
    The easy way is always mined.

Well..........we can all now appreciate it passed the test of time and has moved on into the dust bins of eternity as well deserved..................

Administrator
    Well, this is a pretty old thread but, I'll leave it open in case anybody wants to add a comment.

Just keep in mind that it dates to January of 2007 so if you have any questions please don't expect any lightning quick replies from Betty.
    CIBMike likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    This Vid should answer any questions you might have of the knife she was discussing.

welder516 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Interesting design and look to that 108, if someone likes it and uses it that's great by me.

Personally, I do better with the plain-jane stuff. I've been carrying this one a long time.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    My knife is so easy to open. A flick of the thumb and a twist of the wrist and it's ready to go.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Shao,
    I'm glad you like yours. Even though I didn't appreciate that model, I can appreciate Spyderco's constant innovation. They're always coming up with new designs and seem more than happy to use themselves as guinea pigs.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Well if it makes you feel any better I don't think it was you. Just going by the pictures and the spring loaded mechanism that just doesn't sound/look quite right. I don't think I'd ever trust that sort of opening mechanism. It's too much perfection required just for basic deployment/operation.

edit: To add as I feel it's relevant to any design whether it be knives, firearms, or anything else for that matter, so many people give credance to "New and Innovative design". Yet they never take the time to think if that "innovative" design was even properly functional and completes the required tasks the tool is supposed to be able to accomplish.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Those knives remind me of the motorcycles Orange county choppers make...pretty but little to no purpose or function.

Distinguished Member
    Glad the only casualty was the knife. When I read the title I foresaw blood and stitches for someone. Don't think I'd want one of those knives.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links