Embarrassing Incident at the Spyderco Booth

This is a discussion on Embarrassing Incident at the Spyderco Booth within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm at the Spyderco booth at SHOT Show, and I spot the new Model C-108. The vendor shows me how to open it. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Embarrassing Incident at the Spyderco Booth

VIP Member

So I'm at the Spyderco booth at SHOT Show, and I spot the new Model C-108.

The vendor shows me how to open it. I have to grip the knife by using only my middle finger and thumb so the handle will swing out. To release the spring-loaded handle, I have to reach in the hole with my finger and depress the lever.

The knife jumped out of my hand and hit the floor at least three times before I could open it properly.

I've handled many, many knives of all kinds of opening systems, including the oddball auto-closing Boker and the "reverse butterly" Cold Steel Triple Action. I'm not an idiot with a knife, and the vendor told me the knife jumping out of the hands has happened to quite a few people who tried it. "It takes practice" he said, and I must "gently push the lever back." While I didn't feel any less embarrassed knowing others sent the knife flying, I did wonder why anyone would design an opening mechanism that would require a minimal grip and gentle touch to open it.

Even when I could successfully open the knife, I believe a knife should not require such practice to open it. It's too sensitive and complex in my opinion. That knife is designed with a finger hole for a sturdy grip while using it. You should not have to hold it gingerly to open it.

I consider it a novelty knife or light duty blade. It's certainly not a defensive blade - there's no way I'd trust opening that thing and retaining it successfully during a scenario.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    What is you're left-handed?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I'm right handed.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    Thanks for the warning. Actually that thing doesn't even look quite right.
    packinnova and StormRhydr like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I don't think any of those kinves look quite right. I'm all for lightweight stuff, but something about those two blades that look like webs just doesn't seem right to me, I'd rather have the extra couple ounces. As far as the other one, a lefty can't really use it (not that I am one), and if it takes that much practice to get it open, how the heck is someone supposed to do it in a bad situation?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Hi Betty,
    I am a huge Spyderco fan and have a few , but I will also admit that the Model C-108 is one that I am not interested in at all! It just looks...strange. Although I will also add that some of their knives definitely need to be held to be appreciated .

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

You can keep the spider web's and novelty opening stuff, not for me.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

This sounds and looks like a space age gimmick designed, as many fishing lures are, to catch "fishermen".
    fredg53 likes this.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

I really hope they had more to offer than just those two types of new knives. Are they trying to capitalize on the Spiderman series of movies or something with the C109s? C'mon, now.

VIP Member
    I don't like those skeletonized blades. There's not a lot of meat to sharpen if you use it often.

Spyderco has their 2007 catalog available for download on their website. They have a nice fixed blade, the FB11 Kumo, that caught my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Even when I could successfully open the knife, I believe a knife should not require such practice to open it.
    I've had a few knives that require practice to open, such as my butterfly knife and my current folder. You're unfolding something with one hand - it's gonna require a little getting used to, especially if it's a new method. That being said, I don't like the looks and wouldn't buy one.

VIP Member
    Holding the C108 delicately and opening it delicately just seems contrary to what is ideal in retaining a sharp instrument. The vendor could not achieve a solid grip on it and the knife would wobble in his hands while opening it. Even with the unique one-handed opening system of my Cold Steel Triple Action, I could achieve a strong grip while opening it.

VIP Member
    What happened to you Betty sounds like something that happens all of the time with that knife....I missed the Sypderco booth so I didn't see that knife.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Sounds like a gimmick to me. Can't blame em though, their in business to make money, however I for one can say I wouldn't spend my money on a knife like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    Hi Betty,
    I am a huge Spyderco fan and have a few , but I will also admit that the Model C-108 is one that I am not interested in at all! It just looks...strange. Although I will also add that some of their knives definitely need to be held to be appreciated .

Ron
    +1, I have been a fan of Spyderco since their begining. I have several of their early models and they are used often. However this is just a little to different for me. I am also interested in their new BYRD line. Any comments, are they like the Turkey made Berretas?
    Carry On!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links