Knife Sharpening: Problem or Tale?

This is a discussion on Knife Sharpening: Problem or Tale? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always been terrible at sharpening knives. Just can't get it down. Shotty equipment may have something to do with it, but i have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife Sharpening: Problem or Tale?

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I have always been terrible at sharpening knives.

Just can't get it down. Shotty equipment may have something to do with it, but i have bought a ton of "tools" and can't get a good edge out of any of them. I am using nice knives too.

I could use a lesson.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

2. Remove Ads

cj
    +1 on the stropping. It should remove any wire edge that's been created. Another suggestion for everyone is the "Razor Edge Book of Sharpening" (related to this thread, the author is shown on the cover shaving with an axe). It's sort of the bible on the principles of sharpening, what the goals are, what's happening to the metal, etc.

Stainless steal knives will not get as sharp as high carbon steel knives.
    And the carbon steel is a lot easier to sharpen and hold an edge longer.
    The only good thing good stainless is good for is the fact they are stainless.
    On the crook sticks you need to hold the blade at the same angle for each stroke or you can be at it all day and get nowhere.
    A great system is the Lansky or the Gatco. They both hold the blade in a clamp with a rod the goes through a jig. Which is at the same angle all the time

Distinguished Member
    Find a fine diamond impregnated steel and run the knife at the 25 degree angle towards you like you are trying to slice a peel from it. one on each side about 10 times using the same pressure.

That will give you your wire edge back.

Be sure to find the fine (not rough) steel.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I can't sharpen a knife to save my life. All the guys at work bring me their knives and ask me to sharpen them. Why you might ask since I suck at it? I have a rod guided system from smith. Not a lansky but it does a good job. My problem is that I'm impatient and can't hold the same angle. The rod guided system fixes that problem.

I used the crock sticks for years and yes, my blades all shave when I'm done sharpening. I've since moved to the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker and get like results but a bit quicker - highly recommend that system. Be careful with the crock sticks, too much pressure will carve a crescent in the blade where you start the downstroke ... yep, I've done it. It actually takes very little pressure on those sticks to get results. as Rocky said, steel quality has a huge effect on the edge you can achieve, my favorite steel is Crucible's M2 but it's expensive and hard to find in production knives. I carry a Benchmade Pinnacle framelock everyday with an ATS-34 blade.

High carbon blades are generally capable of attaining sharper edges and holding them longer than stainless but they require a bit more upkeep (not much but a little). With the newer wonder steels like S30V, stainless is capable of sharper edges but it tended to be a bit more brittle than M2, A2, O1, etc.

For the ultimate in sharpening information take a look at the work of Joe Talmadge, he's the closest I've found to an authentic "authority" on blade sharpening. http://groups.google.com/groups?q=gr...asy.com&rnum=1

jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links