Knife Sharpening: Problem or Tale?

This is a discussion on Knife Sharpening: Problem or Tale? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok went to the gun show yesterday to look at knives and sharpening equiptment and of course the guns I'll just have to day dream ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife Sharpening: Problem or Tale?

VIP Member

Ok went to the gun show yesterday to look at knives and sharpening equiptment and of course the guns I'll just have to day dream about. I do have a couple of knives I wanted to sharpen. The person behind the booth talked me into a Lansky Croak sticks. I hope thats spelled right. Got it for cheap and the dealer brags he can get his knives to shave. Now I've heard this a lot through my life and actually seen people shave hair off their arm to prove it. I been working on a couple of knives for about 10 hours and even though they feel sharp as a razor they will only shave a few hairs off your arms. This set roughs the blade in at 20 degrees and finish your blade at 25 degrees. To my understanding blades should be 25 degrees for weaponery, 20 degrees for kitchenery and 13 degree for razors. Can you get a blade sharp enough at 25 degree to shave? Am I doing something wrong or shaving with your pocket knife ( which is suppose to be 25 degrees ) just a tale.

I dunno, but my spyderco came out of the box sharp enough to take off hairs from my arms.

Also, keep in mind that hair on the head is different than hair on your arms.

Lead Moderator
    some might depend on the type of steel/quality if it will hold a sharp enough edge.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Shaving is much less dependant on angle than it is on the edge its self , strangely enough if your edge is too polished it wont shave , you need the microscopic serrations to grab and cut the hair . , also a " wire edge " helps a bit , you do not want a microscopic perfect edge. Next time someone demos a " shaveing edge " grab the knife and try it with the other hand , my bet is it wont handle it as well since most just leave a wire edge rolled up and think its actualy sharp . Hope that thought helps ya a bit lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Maybe I should of stated one of the knives is a Kershaw Leek. Good quality knife and the other is a good knife but a cheapie. It states surgical stainless on the blade. So are you saying Redneck that you can get a knife too sharp that it loses it quality of grabing hair?

Ben almost , lol . You can get an edge too polished , or too perfect . Sharpness is like recoil a percieved quality that can be demonstrated in different ways . a 90 degree angle can be extreemly sharp , and is used to cut cloth , cardboard , and metal in factorys , will it shave nope . Knives for us cutting need to be a " roughed edge " with microscopic serrations to grab the material and sheer it . Most " razor edge" knives actualy as i said above operate off a wire edge , the edge may be rolled over to the left , right , or rarely be in line . Point is the profile of the edge under the microscope and how smooth it is . Smooth edges are great for pressure cutting applications while rough edges are great for draw cutting applications since they will hang up like a microscopic series of points and actualy cut as they slide thro a material . sorry for the long post lol but its an easy concept to demonstrate but hard to describe .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

VIP Member
    Not a long post at all but a very informative post Redneck. I never thought that I might be over doing it. I just thought I was not doing it right. HAHA after reading my reply I can't tell you how many times I've already been told that.

Ben no problem bud , You buy a cafe and run it a fiew years and you learn a thing or two about sharpening knives , belive me lol .

Great info, thanks Redneck!

I read somewhere that you should rest a straight razor for several days after shaving with it. Something about allowing the edge to come back into alignment. Does that sound right to you??

Rally only if its under a pirimid LOL . No seriously it wont magicly come back into alignment , stropping it will gently pull the wire edge back to center without actualy doing much in the way of material removal such as a stone will . A wire edge is not a bad thing , it is just not robust , so it wont work well on a " useing knife " but will work fine on that razor or a pen kinfe you use to " peel apples " . I do suggest that after shaveing with a straight razor you let it rest for several days ( up to two weeks ) so that your face can come back into alignment tho LOL .

Thats what I thought too, but I'm not a knife guy. I wonder if the fact that they were trying to sell straight razors in a package of 7, each labeled with a day of the week, had anything to do with that story?

Rally no one who could afford better would buy one of thoes packs lol . a good razor would easily cost a weeks work for a blue collar guy , and be well worth it for us guys , I dont honestly know if women back in the day shaved or not lol , but i havnt seen any " lady razors " that i have noticed .

Hi Ben,
    Did your Lansky Crock sticks come with more than one grade of ceramic sticks? I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker and get great results. It is similar in design, I think< to what you have. It has a medium and a fine grade of ceramic sticks. I also bought some diamond sticks to use with it.
    If your knives were pretty dull, it is going to take some work only using the ceramic sticks. They work great but material removal is pretty slow. When you give your angles, are they per side or total. The Sharpmaker uses 30 degrees (15 per side) to do the back bevel and the 40 degree (20 per side) for the micro bevel. A tip is to use a black felt marker and mark both sides on the edge. Then run your knife down the sticks. See wher you removed the felt marker. It may be that you are not even sharpening the very edge yet. If there is still black marker there, you are not touching it yet. If you getting to the edge, you may be applying too much pressure and rolling the edge. If you have rolled the edge and try cutting the hair on your arm, it will cut well in one direction, but not the other. When you are finishing an edge, only very light pressure needs to be used. I have been working on ways to remove that wire edge. If not removed, the edge will seem sharp until you cut something (like your fingernail) and then seem very dull all of a sudden. I am learning to use a leather strop to remove this edge. It works wonders. I don't try to polish the edge as I like the micro serrations, but I do want to get rid of the wire edge.
    I hope that helps a bit also. There is other great info in this thread for you by the others!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

VIP Member
    ront our set seem simular. medium grade sticks for roughing in at 20 degrees and fine grade sticks to finish at 25 degrees. ront sometimes you guys make me look stupid. I use Dykem all the time at work for the same reason you are going to use a marker for. I do not know why I can't think of this stuff at home. I got more information today on how to use this kit than they put in their directions. Can I use an old belt for a strop? And if I already went too far on sharpening by polishing my edge how do I correct this?

Ben, please don't feel stupid by anything I said!! I just turned 48 yrs old. Most of those 48 yrs I have just spent removing metal from the knives I have tried to sharpen. None of them have really been sharp at all. In this last year I have really tried to figure it out, while I am still no expert at it, I can get a knife shaving sharp now though.
    You can use an old belt as a strop. Do a search on the internet on how to do it. You will want to rub a VERY FINE abrasive onto the belt. Simichrome, Flitz or something similar will work. This is a great FAQ on knife sharpening by a guy who knows what he is doing. http://www.knifeart.com/sharfaqbyjoe.html
    If you feel you have gone too far in polishing your edge, just run your knife a few times down your medium sticks. That should put some micro serrations back on the edge. Depending on what you are using your knife for, a nice polished edge is sometimes desirable. Most of the time though, I like the micro serrations on my edges.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links