Shooting while peppersprayed

This is a discussion on Shooting while peppersprayed within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd hear a lot of people say how useless OC spray is, how you can build a tolerance to it, how it won't stop someone. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Shooting while peppersprayed

I'd hear a lot of people say how useless OC spray is, how you can build a tolerance to it, how it won't stop someone. So I got out the camera and gave it a try. This is not my first time getting sprayed. I've never built a tolerance to it. Every time it's just as bad and the first time and it's highly effective at rendering me useless. Although I got 3 out of 6 shots on target, only one would have been a fatal hit. If the targets would have been moving, I wouldn't have hit anything.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    You are some kind of special glutton for punishment, aren't you.

I've been pepper sprayed once and TASERed once, with no desire to repeat the experiences.
    Hakkaa päälle!

That has to be the best first post ever! Good to know, though.

Quote Originally Posted by oc678 View Post
    I'd hear a lot of people say how useless OC spray is, how you can build a tolerance to it, how it won't stop someone. So I got out the camera and gave it a try. This is not my first time getting sprayed. I've never built a tolerance to it. Every time it's just as bad and the first time and it's highly effective at rendering me useless. Although I got 3 out of 6 shots on target, only one would have been a fatal hit. If the targets would have been moving, I wouldn't have hit anything.

Was part of our training as an instructor trainer for my agency. My solution was to use my left hand to hold my eye open. We were armed with simunitions and had an armed attacker on us. We also had to do 2 reloads. The big difference is we were sprayed from 3 feet and hosed down good.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I'm sooooo glad you did that. So I nnnNEVER...have to!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I will take the 5 second ride again over OC spray any day. At least when they let off the trigger the pain stopped. I went to take a shower 3 hours later after I got sprayed and it hurt just as bad as it did the first time. OP you are a stronger man than I am as I would never willingly want to get sprayed again.
    FlaRon and Recon1342 like this.

VIP Member
    I enjoyed your carrying concealed in a plastic bag video a bit more, particularly the part where you were holding a Glock in the bleachers near a field full of kids.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I think the issue with pepper spray is that it is real effective on normal people, people who react to pain. The worry may be about BGs who are high. Also, when I went to pepper spray training, a big point the instructor made was that most people tend to spray a BG coming at them and keep spraying them if they don't go down. The BG can still wind up charging into you, just out of momentum. Then you have an angry BG with Mace all over him on top of you. He said you have to spray and move, preferably laterally.

Anyhow, that's why I don't choose to go that route. I read "Less Than Lethal" as Less Than Effective." At 62, with medical issues, I consider most any violent attack, armed or not, could be potentially life threatening. If I've only got a second to get a weapon into action, I am not going to waste time on pepper spray. If the first I know the fight's on the BG is already on me, so I'm already behind the problem, it would not be a good choice either.

I see it's your first thread as a new DC member, first - welcome to the forum. That having been said, a quick YouTube search hints to me that SCORES of folks have, by felony or folly, previously tested & confirmed your thesis. Did you believe that your PARTICULAR can of "Mace" would somehow show itself ineffective?!? I'm compelled to consider the possibility that this is less about research & information and more about internet; notoriety, views and "likes". Inquiring minds (asking respectfully) want to know. Thanks!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I see it's your first thread as a new DC member, first - welcome to the forum. That having been said, a quick YouTube search hints to me that SCORES of folks have, by felony or folly, previously tested & confirmed your thesis. Did you believe that your PARTICULAR can of "Mace" would somehow show itself ineffective?!? I'm compelled to consider the possibility that this is less about research & information and more about internet; notoriety, views and "likes". Inquiring minds (asking respectfully) want to know. Thanks!
    I'm sure you can find a dozen videos for any given topic or challenge. That doesn't mean everyone should stop making videos. If plan A is getting internet famous, I better buy some lotto tickets for plan B. Oh, and I'm back to address your posts, so there's part of your answer.

What I bought was OC by a company called Mace. Mace is illegal and is not the same as OC - most people use the two names as if they're the same thing.

So let's see here, to further address your skepticism. I think you can see by the content of my channel, I'm a firearm enthusiast and have been since I was about 7 years old. The internet has brought us some great things, forums being one of them. But, forums also come with a lot of BS, myths, and nonsense. The worst is the self professed forum expert who uses his forum post count as qualification of his subject expertise while dispensing dangerous and illegal advice that's not based in any personal experience. So instead of focusing on boring POV match video, I started taking some of the forum nonsense and myths and trying them out. What I find fun is when a video shows something to be totally legit there are still forum experts who will insist that it just can't happen (See my plastic bag carry videos for proof that the gun won't jam and people won't notice).

This particular myth, tolerance to OC, came to us from the movie Die Hard 2 - which also gave us the legend of the metal detector eluding Glock 7. As I said in the video, I've been sprayed many times. It's never fun and it's never gotten any easier. So instead of using my MKIV can from my duty belt, I used some cheap sporting goods store hot pink keychain can - It's just as nasty as the stuff from the MKIV can just in a smaller quantity. So, this video gives you OC advice from someone who got spray and was willing to show it. Is it nasty? Yes. Is it a valid defensive option? Yes. Can you build a tolerance to it? No - unless you own a Glock 7 then you can. Will I get sprayed again. Yep. Will I like it? Nope.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar

well, I enjoyed your video, for what it was.

I enjoyed your plastic bag video. some grumble you had to venture next to a playground, a hot topic for sure.

I would offer this forum is a bit different than most others on the interwebs. I prowled a lot of sites before joining this one, and find this is one of the only sites on the web where cowpoop usually gets shot down, respectfully and knowledgeably. People here tend to be polite and mods do a good job.

I understand being defensive about skepticism, but nobody here believes in magic bullets, nobody here has ceramic glocks, and nobody here drinks oleoresin capsicum with their cheerios.

The group here will get pretty defensive about established members...

FWIW.
    Badey, ghost tracker and RickyD like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Howdy!

I was greatly suprised as a LEO when I attended FBI firearms instructor school and we went through the OC/pepper spray class. The FBI instructor actually tought that if confronted with CO/pepperspray to go to leathal force. We learned the only way to see is to us you fingers to pry you eyes open.

"Happy Trails"
    Chiefneon
    TVJ likes this.

I have never understood why LE depts feel they need to OC spray and taze someone before they're allowed to carry either one. They don't make you get shot wearing a BP vest prior to allowing you to wear one.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

Thanks OC. I'm not skeptical about defensive aerosols. Nor am I skeptical about (the majority) of forum posts here on DC. I do, however, remain skeptical about the motivation/rationalization/contribution of your videotaped act. I've heard (likely from "BS, myths and nonsense... by a self-professed forum expert") that clearing a running garbage disposal with my fingers is a bad idea. It may, indeed, be apocryphal. Noticed your YouTube comment-response yesterday to this video - "if my pain brings joy to others, then I've succeeded in my mission". Yep, no doubt, (respectfully) please count me...among the skeptical.

But I've been wrong about; GLOCKs, my first wife, Toyota trucks & the outcome of last year's NCAA March Madness. I certainly can be wrong about all this as well. Again, welcome! And no worries Mate, it's rare for folks to put a lot of stock in my opinion anyway! Carry on!
    Badey likes this.

I have been exposed to OC enough to develop a tolerance to it. I still wouldn't want to send rounds down range after getting hit with it until I regained my vision. Mine comes back faster than most but shooting what you can't see is a no go for me.
    techieccw and Recon1342 like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links