THIS is a knife...(looking for a BIG folder)

This is a discussion on THIS is a knife...(looking for a BIG folder) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all: I decided to update my small knife collection by picking up a large folder. When I say large I'm talking 5"+ on blade ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THIS is a knife...(looking for a BIG folder)

THIS is a knife...(looking for a BIG folder)

Hey all:

I decided to update my small knife collection by picking up a large folder. When I say large I'm talking 5"+ on blade length. Now, I know about the Cold Steel Voyager X2, the Vaquero Grande, and the Ti-Lite, but do you guys know of any other BIG folding knives? I seem to remember there was a brand that came out of Africa, but I'm not for sure on that.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    People have been calling the Spyderco Manix a "big" folder.
    I'm not sure it's as long as what you're looking for, but it's a beefy, robust knife.

A few of my friends swear by this knife: http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...aspx?model=610 When I've handled theirs I've always found them to me extremely well made, and SHARP!! They use theirs for everything and they really hold their edge. They are a bit pricey, as most Benchmade product's are, but this one is worth it. I'm going to pick one up after I save up for my AR.

Edit: Sorry this knife is under your desired blade length.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

There's also the CUDA MAXX by Camillus, and the R.E.K.A.T. Sifu (if you can still find one).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

ckd
    Have the Cold Steel 5 and 6 inch voyagers, great knives at a reasonable price. Though the 6 inch is only an inch longer in blade length it is rougly 30% more knife, and always causes eyes to go wide. They hold an edge well, both gravity open well, though the 6 is the easiest because of the blade mass. Keep us posted.

JD
    Administrator
    Spyderco Civilian, it's no utility knife, but it's very scary.

The biggest I'm aware of is the Gibbs Maxx by Camillus. It's no longer in production and was a limited run to begin with, but that sucker was HUGE. An 8" bladed folder will get your attention like that. The regular Madd Maxx is still big, but again I don't think they're being made anymore. Shouldn't be too hard to find one if you look around (PM me for links to other forums if you'd like, I'm not sure of the rules on linking to other forums here).
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    A little googling on "gibbs maxx" turned up this beastie.

http://www.darrelralph.com/ddr_knive...maddmaxx2g.htm

It's damned expensive, but it's definitely big. Oh, and folding - yeah, that was important too. I'm sorry, I'm still drooling over this thing myself. =D

Did you say Knife? Go with the grassroots; go with your instinct.
    Attached Images
    Kenny G is allowed to live because Chuck Norris doesn't kill women.
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com

Wow, some great replies! THe Maxx is a pretty darn cool knife, I must say, along with the voyager. I'll be using it mostly for canoeing (when you're wearing a t-shirt and trunks, I think it's easier to carry a big pocketknife than a fixed blade, and maybe also a little safer if you had to jerk it underwater to cut yourself free) so I'm not decided on which one yet. :) Do the Maxxes have leaf spring locks or some other kind? I know the thing I like best about the Voyager is its locking style.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

the spyderco chinook is a lovely beast of a folder.

Administrator
    The SOG Pentagon Elite II has a full 5" blade & is a nice fast knife but SOG has a bit of a POX on them these days for that one past "Support Our Troops" scandal...not meaning to beat that horse to death all over again on CombatCarry.

I have one but, mine was already bought & paid for & shipped before I knew anything about it.

The Cuda Maxx............

I bought one four years ago and have carried daily since. AWESOME blade!! Opened coffee cans, carried it hiking, on several security gigs, used it as a pry bar(light work), and alot of other improv duties. Never needed it 'for real'(Thank God), but it is an impresive beast of a blade.
    The D2 blade is tough, though does rust so some care must be given. The Titanium handles take a beating and are light. The locking mechanisim is part of the handle, and solid.
    The only problem I have had is the torx screws come loose...I lost a small one on the handle and the main blade screw slowly works its way loose. A local blade shop has a type of Cammilus approved 'lock tite' type stuff and extra screws....I just have not got there when the 'knife smith' is there.
    It is flat, light easy to carry, strong, durable and flicks open in a smooth and very authorative way. Most folks that have seen it are very impressed(or very intimidated).

a pic: With EDC Colt CCO

and other goodies......

Take a look at http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/233 for their line of tactical folding knives and http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/234 for the fixed blade versions.
    Over all for any of them, VERY good quality, holds and edge for a l-o-n-g time, life time warrantee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links