Anyone use ASP batons?

Anyone use ASP batons?

This is a discussion on Anyone use ASP batons? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 26" one with a nylon sheath, and I do carry it when Im hiking around in the desert or mountains. I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Anyone use ASP batons?

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar

Anyone use ASP batons?

I have a 26" one with a nylon sheath, and I do carry it when Im hiking around in the desert or mountains.
    I was fortunate to have good training with it since I work for a police agency, and took the classes.
    I believe them to be pretty effective for a "less than lethal"....although a smack in the head could easily
    make them lethal.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I had the training too at my sheriff's department and carry a 24" or a 26". I can't remember the length.

It's not for people though, it's for dogs.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Yup, if I am using an expandable metal baton it's an ASP.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I have a 3 section one that I keep in my car's drivers side door pouch along with a big LED flash light and a can of whoop-a$$ spray for those that may need it. This way I can move up or down the level of response to any incident. Top of the line is the G-19 I have CCW just in case.
    FlaRon likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Distinguished Member
    I would love to find some training around here. I am getting my other knee replaced in January and will be consigned to a cane for a while (again). Be nice to have something to fall back on besides some youtube experts. Of course I will always have a Glock handy except in the hospital. Still thinking about smuggling one in there. Signs in Utah do NOT have force of law. And those yahoos make a bundle off me.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I have and use a 20" asp baton for on duty. I occassionally carry it off duty. It's a good alternative instead of depending on lethal force.
    Work for a cause, Not for applause. Live life to express, Not to impress. Don't strive to make your presence noticed, Just make your absence felt"

Distinguished Member
    I keep an shillelagh in my truck and take it on walks in parks or around town. It's 38". When out in the sticks, I use a heavier walking stick.

Black Knight likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    I would love to find some training around here. I am getting my other knee replaced in January and will be consigned to a cane for a while (again). Be nice to have something to fall back on besides some youtube experts. Of course I will always have a Glock handy except in the hospital. Still thinking about smuggling one in there. Signs in Utah do NOT have force of law. And those yahoos make a bundle off me.
    if you have a good sturdy cane, you have a better baton, and one that will raise no eyebrows as you travel around.

carried one on the job. they took away the old s&w slap jack and gave the small asap to us. you sure can take someone down with one if you need to.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by photoman6 View Post
    if you have a good sturdy cane, you have a better baton, and one that will raise no eyebrows as you travel around.
    I carry one rated for a 400 lb person even though I am less than 1/2 that weight (barely). Good protection against stray dogs (and other predators), and I can take it anywhere without upsetting anyone.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I carry mine when I walk. Of course I also carry my XD. Different tools for different situations.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    This topic drives me crazy. I like the feel of the ASP batons, but I prefer the opening/closing of the Monadnock. All in all I prefer a PR24 or a hickory or cocobolo straight stick, though.
    Black Knight likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Cool

I was as ASP (we affectionately referred to them as "A Steel Pipe") instructor for my department and used properly they can be very effective and the sound they make when being opened can be very intimidating.

Like Blue Thunder I have one in the side pocket of my drivers side door along with a 2oz. pepper spray.

As Madcap_Magcian said I too prefer a 24" straight "night stick" with the leather thong attached (yeah I was an old beat cop for a few years in the beginning) and my PR-24 serves duty setting by the garage door.

5lima30ret likes this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

VIP Member
    I've been ASP certified since 2000 and hadn't carried it much. I finally dusted it off and carry it down to the corner while I wait there with my son for his school bus. You never know, other small children could get rowdy.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    ASP's are a very effective! They can be very effective in the closed mode as well! We frequently used them in this mode during bar fights where the open mode would be more likely to cause collateral damage. They also make a dandy tool for breaking auto glass (MUCH better than a PR-24)! I've been an ASP instructor since 1992. Be sure to check your state laws in some states civilians can't carry them even with a CWP.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links