Need help for self defense options

This is a discussion on Need help for self defense options within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm starting a new job at a hospital in FL. However there is a very strict policy on "No weapons on campus", however I'm not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Need help for self defense options

I'm starting a new job at a hospital in FL. However there is a very strict policy on "No weapons on campus", however I'm not finding any laws that say I cant LEGALLY carry some other means as self defense (pepper spray, stun gun, etc.) I don't have my CCW yet, so no firearms for me however I want something because I work a late shift. I'm thinking of something that is inconspicuous, such as a self defense pen or a flashlight stun gun that I could keep in my locker. What suggestions do you have?

(btw this is my first time posting here)

Thanks,

Peter
    mawk3 likes this.

Welcome!

I've heard good things about wasp spray being used against two legged adversaries (aim for the eyes). If they question you, you could just say you're severely allergic to wasp stings.

TVJ
    I wonder what tactical good comes from having whatever self defense tool you choose safely locked away in your locker?
    Old Sarge and 3rdegree like this.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

That's a good idea however I dont think they would believe that because I have no allergies from insects and they know that :(.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I would be very careful about wasp spray as from reports around the country that it can and does cause blindness and it says on can do not get in eyes but the choice is up to you but I would choose pepper spy rather than a chance use something that could come back to bite you but that's just my opinion.

Im not really worrying about a patient or somebody attacking me while I'm working, TVJ. Im more worried about waking to and from my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1055 View Post
    I'm starting a new job at a hospital in FL. However there is a very strict policy on "No weapons on campus", however I'm not finding any laws that say I cant LEGALLY carry some other means as self defense (pepper spray, stun gun, etc.) I don't have my CCW yet, so no firearms for me however I want something because I work a late shift. I'm thinking of something that is inconspicuous, such as a self defense pen or a flashlight stun gun that I could keep in my locker. What suggestions do you have?

(btw this is my first time posting here)

Thanks,

Peter
    Hello & welcome Peter!
    what is their specific definition of weapon?
    might it include "pepper spray, stun gun, etc."
    Hoganbeg and RickyD like this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Shadowwalker, that's a good point as well. The problem with pepper spray is it's considered a weapon. If I get caught with it, I could lose my job. (ridiculous, I know.)

There is no specific definition of a weapon. So im guessing its up to them, I'd like something that could be used but wouldnt be given a second look if i was caught with it.

Distinguished Member
    Pepper spray or mace keep them handy on your walk to the car. good luck and welcome
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

The problem with pepper spray is it's considered a weapon.
    There is no specific definition of a weapon.
    I'm confused by this...

Pepper spray / mace is in my opinion your best bet.

I have been wrong before but I would be surprised by a HR department that did not allow their employees to carry pepper spray but requires employees to use a parking lot or parking garage late at night. Especially a hospital - since they would have a high percentage of female employees.

I would flat out ask HR.

If they say no to pepper spray you can count out a stun gun...guess then its time for kung fu lessons and a rape whistle...
    shadowwalker likes this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Tactical pen and a clipboard.

I'm thinking that is what I'm going to do when I start. I'll just ask them and offer to keep it in my locker or something. Thanks everyone!

How about one of those aerosol alarms? Not a weapon, but some of them look like pepper spray. It might deter someone seeing it and if you have to go hand to hand you can blast it in their ear. Besides, who wants to stick around with someone blasting an air horn? Your options are kind of limited to adhere to their requirements.

A good sturdy hiking stick may make you seem a little odd, but should not be considered a weapon. It can sure be used as one if you know what you're doing, though. I've see people out walking with them.

Multiple sources offer change wallets that essentially become saps or knuckle dusters when filled with coins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links