Airport alternative weaponry

This is a discussion on Airport alternative weaponry within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WorldPax "Shibumi" My favorite novel of all time. The technique was also used by Trevanian in "The Loo Sanction". Another Shibumi/Trevanian fan. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airport alternative weaponry

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax View Post
    "Shibumi" My favorite novel of all time. The technique was also used by Trevanian in "The Loo Sanction".
    Another Shibumi/Trevanian fan. Got to love a good tale.

At any pen rack at Staples or Office Depot, there are a couple/three choices in pens that are exceedingly well-built. Go to a fine pen store and you'll find far more. I often travel with one about half as large as a small banana. It fills my enclosed palm well, is molded of very hard ABS-type plastic, and is stiff enough to make a heck of a dent in a tree trunk if striking quickly enough. Off the shelf stuff ... but, the right stuff.

I'm a bit of a gimp, so I have been mulling the concept of a cane. One with proper "swing weight" and balance, of course.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    Your belt.
    Then you can look like THIS guy (click the demonstration link at the top): http://expeditiondepot.com/

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

All excellent suggestions, though. Aside from the belt, a small pair of scissors will allow you to cut off the actual plane's seatbelt and use that big buckle as a bludgeon.

There was a news story about how some passengers used the flight attendant demo belt (the one they show people how to use the buckles) and whupped the hell out of someone they thought was about to hijack the plane. I can't seem to find it though.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    All good suggestions. Personally, I wear a good leather belt & a cane. The cane also got me in front of the line checking in, when flying home from Hawaii.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Wow....what do I say. I bite my tongue on this for a while and when I did make a post the crashing server deleted it so I'll try commenting a little cooler headed this time.

Whatever you do.....do NOT make your own lil "toys" to bring on a plane. Those who work those flights (and I am NOT a flight attendant and cant pilot a laptop much less a flying cigar tube) have enough on their hands to add to it having to deal with someone who has good intentions, but neitherless are breaking federal law.

There is nothing I have hated more than spening my evening away from my family completing paperwork because some good minded person who was just "trying to help". Once you get spoted there is no choice in what is done.

Besides...if you cant find something on a pressurized cigar tube to use incase there is noone there, well then your blind. First in my mind is have your best friend spray you down with a fire extinguisher. Not only will that in its self mess ya up, but your those things just plainly hurt if your smacked wif one (that is from personal experience) and yes there on every plane.

If you really want to help, use your eyes. People using their eyes spot and prevent more stuff than you ever will with your cane, rolled up magazine (I'd personally prefer to be hit with a rolled up magazine than a fire extinguisher) super duper D cell flashlight (I do highly recommend that you carry a light, and the Photon LED lights work tons better than any minimag out there, are cheaper and last longer).

Sorry for my rant, but dang it, if I have to do paperwork, atleast let it be for someone who has bad designs, not because you just jumped off the bridge without knowing just how deep that pool really is.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I learned the rolled up magazine trip in martial arts 35 years ago. I'm looking forward to getting the new Blackhawk Gladius flashlight. The strope effect can be disorienting in a darkened plane, and of course can be used like a mag lite. It's expensive, but I've seen them on E Bay for $139. A lot cheaper than $200!

VIP Member
    Fed, you make an excellent point, and I assure you that most of us agree with you. We're supposed to be the good guys, so there is no need to make law enforcement types treat us like the bad guys.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Moderator
    I think the walking cane is probably as good as it gets. From what I've been told by security at airports, canes are not even questioned. Of course, it'd better not have a sword in it.

Just my point echo four....however if a good guy does something to arise suspicion, like carrying something they have fashioned into a weapon from a normal object, and is spoted say by a member of the crew....then the leo types have no choice but to document it (well they can ignore it but then they'll be looking at time off without pay). If its documented, then the mess begains. Its just more sound to use what you find already there, wait and allow those whos jobs it is to prevent or react to an incident and if they are not present, the crew will let everyone know and unlike before I know passengers will not sit by quietly.

As far as the Gladius lights go, there awsome, but keep this in mine, they are not as effective in periods of light (very rarely will cabin lights be turned down that low) and if you do decide to use it, you'd better make dang surethat there are none of the leo types (that kinda rolls off the tongue) on the plane or you'll find yourself being targeted as the threat.

Great thoughts, but potentially fatal applications.
    Steve

I am surprised noone has offered what were always my two first thoughts. In a pinch, I'm sure one of those airphones could be ripped out with it's cord. It would make a nice swinging implement.

If time wasn't as pressing - as in 9/11 when everyone was huddled in the back of the plane - get a pot of the hottest coffee the plane has. Throw the full pot of boiling coffee in the terrorists face, then break the pot over his head.

Sponsor
    I travel via airlines to and from the firearms classes several times a year.

Always have the Canemasters Instructors cane with me. Never questioned by TSA, and won't likely as it is one of the listed "approved" items being considered a "medical aid". Not something likely to be taken from you that you need to maintain balance, etc.

My age probably doesn't hurt the reason no one questions the cane in my hand either.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Wow....what do I say. I bite my tongue on this for a while and when I did make a post the crashing server deleted it so I'll try commenting a little cooler headed this time.

Whatever you do.....do NOT make your own lil "toys" to bring on a plane.
    .Others have already mentioned basic items to improvise...BTW -keys on a lanyard are a good distance weapon. Look, the simple fact of the matter is that ANYTHING including, but not limited to the human body can be used as a weapon (i think we're all in agreement here ). Although I find it humorous that all you security folk are worried about this... All things considered ...How long until they start requiring us all to undergo millimeter screening and strip down and switch to prison-type issue jammies before they let any of us on planes anymore anyway? Oh and yes my sinister mind comes up with much less obvious items that haven't even begun to be mentioned (combinations of items)...I know for fact that I can make an improvised and pressurized pepper spray with items readily available on the "cigar tube" and I have timed myself doing so at home in less than 15 seconds. If you would like an official list of what i "could" use I'll direct you back to the tsa.gov website list of approved items and any number of airlines in-flight snack and/or complimentary meal menu. By the time we mention all the possibilities of what can be improvised on the spot, they wouldn't let anyone including the President on the plane. Heck, we may as well just ground all the planes. Oh and I completely disagree with your wait and see concept you mentioned earlier this afternoon(letting those whose job it is go to work). My theory is that those who wait...Die or end up wishing they had. I grasped that basic concept long before 9/11/2001 and still believe it whole heartedly. But I digress. I'm letting my own rabbit trail drag on wayyy too long. No offense intended though. It's friday! lighten up. Nevermind the fact that I'm armchair QBing and I'm guessing you're one of those fine folk putting your bacon on the line every day...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Sorry for my rant, but dang it, if I have to do paperwork, atleast let it be for someone who has bad designs, not because you just jumped off the bridge without knowing just how deep that pool really is.
    Thats the smartest line outta the smartest post in this thread.
    Just dont think your "helping" by bringing some sort of weapon along with you. You are not. You are forcing attention on you, a good guy, when the attention should be looking for the bad guy.
    I do fly armed from time to time, and I sometimes feel guilty that the flyin' fed now needs to pay attention to me instead of the other passengers.

Now, in no way am I suggesting that everyone should be a sheep, and let big brother take care of them. Look around you, ID some improvised weapons that are provided by the airline itself. There are plenty, in particular if you are some what skilled in H2H. One of my favorites is the regular old towel. It can do just about anything you want it to, except launch some .45.

I do have to say I'm shocked this thread hasnt been shut down yet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Honest truth, I'm not that concerned about being armed on the aircraft. I'm more worried that the airlines will lose my checked weapon and I'll be unarmed at my destination. 9/11 changed the way we think about hijacking, and the way things are now hijackers know they are no longer facing a timid group of passengers, that will go quietly into the night. As long as TSA can keep the bombs and guns off the planes, I like my odds of making it. It's fun to play Bond, but in reality it's the numbers with the new attitude that are going to save the day, if we see another attempt like we did on 9/11.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Kubotan...........

.....never leave home without it!!
    Of course, it comes in many varieties. The aircraft one is a flashlight...normally a cheap minimag...backed up by a decent pen.
    The cane concept has great merit.......I am getting older too! Planning on a trip to the Ukraine to visit a buddy and make some business plans in summer. Might be moving over there for a couple of years. Might as well have one last awesome adventure before this middle aged body starts to fall apart! But no guns allowed(Awww).
    Studying up on the Kubotan, cane and short folder tactics........I'll take a fairly inexpensive blade and multitool(checked), couple of flashlights, and my cold steel african walking stick.
    Of course, a 28 inch length of chain and two pad locks may be included for securing my travel conversion ruck to whatever.....but the padlocks when attached on each end creates a nice improv manrikigusari/kusarifundo. Seems I have one laying around here that I have owned and practised with almost daily for what, 25 years?
    I used the rolled up magazine bit in an 'altercation' with a fellow Marine a few decades back....rolled it up tight while he was doing the 'mouthy macho I am gonna kick your ass dance'. When he finally worked himself up enough to act instead of talk...I blocked his blow and pushed the end of the magazine into his solar plexus. That was it, cuz he had trouble breathing after that.
    Be Prepared.

I typed four paragraphs this time but deleted them. Some folks just dont get it.
    Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links