Airport alternative weaponry

This is a discussion on Airport alternative weaponry within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've often seen threads here on CC refering to alternative weapons: Flashlights, pens, OC etc. And many times they are in reference to what can ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airport alternative weaponry

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar

I've often seen threads here on CC refering to alternative weapons: Flashlights, pens, OC etc. And many times they are in reference to what can be used in an airport or on an airplane.

Perhaps one of the things most overlooked is the common screwdriver. According to TSA, a screwdriver 7" or under is permissible in carry-on luggage.

I just thought I'd pass that on to y'all. Believe me ~ the BG's already know it!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#7
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I was on a plane not too long after 9.11 and an Arab man and woman were seated in front of me. I have spent time in Morocco, Egypt and Israel amongst all the other countries I have traveled/lived in, so I know a few basics of Arabic.
    She was visibly upset, he was agitated. She repeatedly said 'No - no please' in Arabic to him as he was praying.
    Then he got out of his seat and sat with another Arab looking man to my left.
    They were engaged in a hushed but heated discussion, the woman was sobbing.

My threat level was through the roof, everyone else on the plane was oblivious.
    I was unarmed.
    I took the 'skymall' magazine and rolled it into the tightest approximation of a stick that I could, grasped it with white knuckles and told my wife that if any of them do anything stupid I will ram the improvised baton into their eye socket with enough force to lose half of it inside their skull.

Nothing happened, I assume it was an argument between man and wife, but it made me feel naked without weaponry.

I don't fly as much anymore.
    Before 9.11 I visited 30+ countries in about 10 years, I usually flew with a knife on my person (except in Dubai where they confiscated it), since 2001 I have been to 3 countries, one if you don't include my obligatory visits between England and USA.

Flying has got too dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    I took the 'skymall' magazine and rolled it into the tightest approximation of a stick that I could...
    I read about precisely this use of a magazine in one of Trevanian's spy novels. The protagonist killed someone on an airplane with it, but the specific technique was not described.

I always carry a ball-point pen when on a plane for a kubotan. Beats no weapon at all.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Try lining the spine of the magazine with some quarters, right in the middle of the magazine, where you can see the staples. Keep the quarters staying put with some scotch tape. Roll that puppy tight (more scotch tape).

Then you've got yourself as good a weapon as you're going to get, as a civiliain, on a plane, IMHO.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

http://www.canemasters.com/catalog_p...spx?prod_id=68

A proper cane with a bit of skill. Plenty of reach and as long as you lean on it a bit, no one will question it.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

VIP Member
    DO NOT post any ideas regarding makeshift weapons that, by the nature of them not being weapons originally, will not arouse suspicion on the part of TSA security and as such will get past the security screening process; e.g....a screwdriver under "7 with a specifically sharped tip, a sharpened "credit card" (not in the TSA regs, but come on now.....), etc.

I'd carry a small screwdriver, Mini Mag Light, and/or a small pair of scissors.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Your belt.

Get a good, heavy leather belt with a heavy buckle (while I don't wear much western style clothing, a western style buckle would be perfect).

Make sure the pants you're wearing will stay up without a belt and that you can quickly remove the belt while sitting (don't clip a cell phone or anything else to your belt).

A belt makes for a good bludgeon and can be used as a garrote. With some training/practice a belt makes a good tool to disarm someone armed with a knife.

If held hostage at the back of the plane, as in Flight 93, you could improvise a weapon from a sock filled with coins, keys, cell phones etc.
    I would also wrap a jacket around my left forearm to act as temporary protection from knife attack.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    DO NOT post any ideas regarding makeshift weapons that, by the nature of them not being weapons originally, will not arouse suspicion on the part of TSA security and as such will get past the security screening process; e.g....a screwdriver under "7 with a specifically sharped tip, a sharpened "credit card" (not in the TSA regs, but come on now.....), etc.

I'd carry a small screwdriver, Mini Mag Light, and/or a small pair of scissors.
    srfl, what is the line of thinking here? Are you saying that mention of such items will cause them to also be banned because although they are not weapons, they can be used as improvised weapons?

Why did you offer the list at the end of your post? I also carry a mini Maglite. Is it really taboo to mention that it can serve as more than just a flashlight? Surely this is not news to anyone.

By the way, long have I thought that it is idiotic for TSA to ban kubotans. Even back when you could carry a 3.5" knife on board commercial flights, I'm pretty sure that kubotans were forbidden.

Not a lot of what TSA does makes logical sense beyond placating the masses of

VIP Member
    There are plenty of "weapons" on an airplane already besides any I would bring aboard. TSA seems to ban things or allow things because they need to "do something" when something is attempted. Sort of like the knee jerk gun bans. It's the "Oh my we need to do something" reactions. It is all to appease the infrequent flying public. Most of us "road warriors" know better. (7 countries and over 60K miles for me last year)

So I get to bring 3.5 ozs. of liquid through the check point. I also get to bring my SureFire E2D through security. I know at Brussels they asked if there was anything in my bag that was a weapon or that someone would think was a weapon. I decided against the, "It all depends on who you are," answer.

I would discourage bringing any "altered" items through a security checkpoint. If caught it will not be pleasant I'm sure. At a minimum you can expect to be delayed enough to miss your flight, at the maximum...

Just learn how to use items that are unaltered that you are allowed through the checkpoint.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Lead Moderator
    I think Srfl is mostly concerned with altered items(sharpened, modified to act as a weapon ,brought specifically as a weapon.) You do NOT want to get caught with this type of item.
    Flashlights, keys, lots of stuff can be improvised weapons with out altering em.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    srfl, what is the line of thinking here? Are you saying that mention of such items will cause them to also be banned because although they are not weapons, they can be used as improvised weapons?

Why did you offer the list at the end of your post? I also carry a mini Maglite. Is it really taboo to mention that it can serve as more than just a flashlight? Surely this is not news to anyone.

By the way, long have I thought that it is idiotic for TSA to ban kubotans. Even back when you could carry a 3.5" knife on board commercial flights, I'm pretty sure that kubotans were forbidden.

Not a lot of what TSA does makes logical sense beyond placating the masses of
    My line of thinking (which Rocky and Scott understood) is that you introduce into the security screening process an item or implement made into an improvised weapon from something that wasn't a weapon before you modified it (i.e....a sharped flathead screwdriver) and you get busted....you will get arrested and be subject to a TSA civil penalty which can be several thousand dollars. Mentioning that stuff is verboten here since it is illegal at the airport. Sorry, but that is a fact of life.

You carry a Mini Mag Light? Great....makes a great a "pain compliance device" in addition to a flashlight without any modification...but one should get trained for that purpose. I've carried one for the better part of ten years.

No where did I state that it was a taboo to mention those types of "improvised" weapons that be used as weapons in a pinch that do not require any modifications; after all Mini Mag Lights are handy flashlights that can serve other purposes. That is why I mentioned those three items....no need to modify them...but they can put a hurt on someone readily enough, especially if the wielder is trained and/or determined.

I agree with the TSA = furry white animals that go "baa." Unfortunately, our gov't is of the (mistaken) opinion that they can protect us from the big, bad terrorists while in a flying metal tube....what can I tell ya.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

There are plenty of perfectly innocent items that can be plenty effective...

-A flashlight, a sturdy pen, or a sharpie-marker can be used as a fistload/kubaton with devastating effect.

-The aforementioned tightly-rolled magazine even without any "enhancements" (c'mon...are you really going to have time to line it with quarters when someone is in the process of taking down the plane): use it like a baton to distract/disorient and then ram it into soft areas (eyes, throat, groin, solar-plexus, etc.) to disable/kill.

-Travelling with your wife/GF? I'll bet she carries a hairbrush or one of those heavy combs in her purse...use in the same manner as the flashlight/pen/marker.

-Belt? maybe...Flexible weapons are a "whole 'nuther animal" unless you have a lot of specific training. However, if you can take the BG from behind, using one as a Garrotte is pretty simple.

-The improvised "Slungshot" (sock or bandana weighted with coins, a pad-lock, or soda-can, etc.) makes for a devastating weapon, but once again, you have to have time to grab the components and assemble them.

-Laptops w/case or back-packs can be a good shield against a knife and can also be used to smack the snot out of someone.

-And, of course, never discount the value of some good H2H training...

whatever you choose, just remember you're going to be in a very confined area and that speed, aggression, and violence of action will be your best friends in such an encounter.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I read about precisely this use of a magazine in one of Trevanian's spy novels. The protagonist killed someone on an airplane with it, but the specific technique was not described.
    "Shibumi" My favorite novel of all time. The technique was also used by Trevanian in "The Loo Sanction".
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

I would also wrap a jacket around my left forearm to act as temporary protection from knife attack
    If you are going to do this, don't forget about the floatation device onder your butt. would make for an improvised shield if lashed to your arm. That is if you have the time.
    "If by the mere force of numbers a majority should deprive a minority of any clearly written constitutional right, it might, in a moral point of view, justify revolution." - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links