Suggestions for a folder? - Page 3

Suggestions for a folder?

This is a discussion on Suggestions for a folder? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by nicneufeld I was wondering if any of you could make some suggestions given some criteria. Basically I would like a pocket folder ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a folder?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nicneufeld View Post
    I was wondering if any of you could make some suggestions given some criteria. Basically I would like a pocket folder as a backup . . . I would like to spend under 50, preferably under 40. I know for a serious knife enthusiast that probably sounds like blasphemy, but thats the budget. Obviously needs to be a one-handed opener design. I like the black tanto blades personally...but thats mostly aesthetics. Still, that's what I'd prefer. Anyone have a good recommendation?

Thanks!
    My earnest recommendation is that you spend something in the $60-ish range and get yourself the Spyderco Endura4, "Wave" variant, plain edge.

The knife is durable, decent size, not too big or little, quality throughout, not only one-hand-opener, but the "Wave" feature makes it open pretty much as soon as you slide it out of your pocket. It's pretty amazing. I have the smaller version, the Delica.

If you must have a tanto blade, check into the Benchmade knives. I doubt you will get one in your $40 price range, though. I consider Benchmade and Spyderco to be quite parallel in terms of design and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ckd View Post
    KenpoTex,

Good question, and I should clarify what I meant by "no locks".

I consider a locking blade esssential, however I don't like the safety/lock tab (not the locking release when opened) on the SOG Flash series, for the same reason I don't care for them on handguns, they accidentally get ativated, preventing their rapid deployment. Have two SOG Flash IIs and like them, but never would consider them as a SD knife for the reasons mentioned.

All that said, I prefer Cold Steel and Spyderco folders.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

under $50? here's my list:

the spyderco endura or delica w/the wave feature.
    the bencmade pika or mini pika.
    the kershaw whirlwind, leek, or chive.
    not to mention the wide variety of folders offered by crkt.

me, i like the spyderco blades.

Wow, this thread revived!

Yeah, I think if I get another blade, it will likely be a CKRT. I'm not into blades in the sense of wanting "the best" because, well, I'm not trained in the art of knife-fighting, and basically it would be a last resort, "hey let go of my weapon" sort of thing.

Right now, I'm carrying this:

It's a cheap Sheffield Granite folder. I like it! I've got two of them. It's nice to have at work when I need to open a box or something, and it doesn't look so "evil" that I wouldn't want a coworker seeing me use it.

As for the idea that I should save up and get the equivalent of a Sig in the knife world, you know, top of the line...well, I don't even own a Sig, so I'll wait til I can afford more expensive firearms before I worry about a more expensive edged weapon as a backup.

Ok, so saving to buy a quality car, house, or gun must be a waste too. Right? It's better to buy a Raven now rather than a HK, so if that's the logic I just do not agree. I save to buy the right item once. I research and get the best quality, it applies to knives too. I've worked in two different knife stores for a total of 9 years as store managers in both. I have seen many people do exactly what you suggest. They buy a cheap knife because at least they have one NOW.
    Inevitably they see what they could have bought, or the item fails, or they ding it and try to resharpen it with disasterous results.
    The most reasonably priced knives out there are Cold Steel for quality VS. Cost every once in a while they can be found for around $50.

Maintain standards with your secondary or tertiary weapon. Your life or your families life may depend on it. Knives are called upon to do pretty heavy duty chores in emergencies.....
    don't sell yourself short. Buy quality every time.

Don't buy cheap....., they are not worth it. Save the cheap knife cash and buy your kids something. I agree spyderco, crkt are ok but if you go cheaper, I must disagree because of experience.
    Questions to ask when buying a knife:
    Rockwell Hardness ---- You want 54 to 62 otherwise it will be to soft or too hard to resharpen
    Warranty ---- Do they stand behind their product? If they don't why should you?
    Rust Resistance ---- Do you want your knife to turn different colors AND rust?
    Make sure the knife has a slip resistant handle, a guard of sometype so you don't slip up the Blade and slice your fingers off, and make sure the lock can't be accidentally released.

The M16 by crkt has many of these qualities.
    Last edited by duracles; February 26th, 2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Soap box.... got carried away :)
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

i once read a sign hanging from a wall in a tattoo shop that read: "good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good."
    i think this applies to buying a knife, or any other tool, for that matter.

hso
    Yes, but the issue becomes what is sufficient to the task and what goes beyond that.

To use the vehicle analogy, if you need a truck then don't try to push a Prius into that role (my wife's habit). But if what you need is reliable quality that isn't going to see a lot of heavy use then save your money for training to go with the knife and don't buy more knife than you need. If you can spend the money for a Sebinza then go for it. But if you know you have a need and you know what you can spend there are plenty of good knives out there to fit that are not junk.

It's not a waste...but inexpensive items have their place too. If we outlawed inexpensive cars, guns, and knives because "it isn't worth it" for people to buy cheaper versions of those things, only the wealthier would own them.

Hi-Points have their place, as ugly as they are. I carry a "cheap" Bersa and will soon carry a Kel-Tec. Neither are high end guns. People are free to spend a majority of their income on defensive weaponry...I should know, given my gun-buying habit, but the idea that only "the best" is good enough is a bit ridiculous to me.

It's all about priorities...right now my "weapons" budget is focused on buying expensive JHP ammo to prove out my new pistol, and after that a home defense shotgun. Those to me are more pressing in importance than having a chromed up, glossy, handmade knife that can slice, dice, and julienne fries.

Nothing against fine knives, and fine guns, and fine cars, etc...but sometimes you have to buy and drive a Pinto to get to work so you can eventually buy your [insert nice car of your choice here].

Agreed. I wouldn't consider a Emerson Mini Commander "the best" however. His Commander knives are production custom knives. He offers many more rugged designs. There are many custom makers that make a better, more rugged knife. Reeves Sebenza comes to mind. Also Pirela, Carrillo, Elishewitz,Merx Worx to name a few. These folders Start around $400, mid range about $700 and top out in the $1200's. Those would be the real Jaguars and Rolls Royces of the knife industry. A $150 Emerson is like the F150 of the group. Don't get me wrong I do not advocate carry a $1000 work of art as your carry knife, i'm just saying there are reasons to buy a $100 plus knife. If you are an outdoorsman, hunter, rock climber, photographer, etc. .. you know the drill. Quality equipment costs money, good money.
    I carried a CRKT for years, but have been upgrading since. I'm hoping people read my advice and buy one $150 knife once for carry rather than the $500+ I've spent upgrading every 2 years or so. It's just my advice, take it or leave it.
    We've all purchased cheap holster, only to have to upgrade. I wish someone would have told me to buy a FIST or Blade Tech to begin with. I bought some cheap holster "just to have one now" when I bought my pistol.

Wasted money.
    Last edited by duracles; February 26th, 2007 at 12:03 AM.
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

I bought a cheap holster too, so I can relate. But it did the job at the time and at that point, it allowed me to carry at all, so it served its purpose. It was an ankle holster at that, for a K-frame S&W, so if you can imagine carrying a mid-size S&W snubby on your ankle in a cheap Uncle Mikes rig, as I did for some time, you can imagine the pleasure when I upgraded (both with a thinner, smaller gun and a better Bianchi rig). So yeah, I definately see your point. Although I wasn't even carrying a "secondary weapon" at all for 6 months or so, and now my little cheapo knife is mainly intended to just act as a pocketknife, opening boxes at work and other light duties. The fact that it is a more modern style folder that I can open one-handed was kind of a side benefit for self-defence. The odds that I will both 1. get into a deadly force self-defence situation and 2. require a secondary weapon because the primary weapon has failed, run empty, or whatever are pretty slim, although people with a defensive mindset admittedly tend to prepare for all manner of odds anyway!

I'll probably snag a CRKT eventually. I'll still keep ahold of my cheapo knife for basic pocketknife duty as mentioned above, anyway, so I don't think it was a waste.

i as well recommend the spyderco because of price being the issue. benchmade autos are my favorite but a spyderco is a good knife that opens easy.
    What's this button do?

Thats something I didn't think of Nic, excellent point! I was being very single minded in my thought of it being primarily a last ditch weapon! LOL!
    Anyway, I agee a cheap knife can open alot of boxes!

I decided to put up or shut up. I upgraded yet again. I bought it from http://www.petestacticalknives.com/main.htm
    Last edited by duracles; February 15th, 2007 at 01:25 AM. Reason: added photo

Here's my Emerson... My dad bought it prior to my first deployment to Iraq. Been with me ever since...
    De Oppresso Liber

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~ George Orwell

hso
    I understand the "upgrade fever".
    I love Spydercos and CRKTs for their value and quality, but this is what I've been carrying for the past few years.
    Darrel Ralph Apogee DA (if I can't carry a fixed blade)
    Sebenza (always)
    Bud Nealy Pesh-Kabz (if I can carry a fixed blade)

There is no better using knife than the Sebenza, prettier and more expensive perhaps, but most knives don't have to stand up to the abuse a Sebenza can take. Regardless, I wouldn't feel I didn't have "enough knife" for day to day use with a Spyderco Delica in my pocket or even one of their new inexpensive Byrd knives.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by hso; February 18th, 2007 at 12:26 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links