Suggestions for a folder?

This is a discussion on Suggestions for a folder? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here I am venturing onto the knife forum! Basically, I'm a bit overwhelmed as I do online searching for knives. There are thousands upon ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a folder?

Suggestions for a folder?

So here I am venturing onto the knife forum!

Basically, I'm a bit overwhelmed as I do online searching for knives. There are thousands upon thousands of them. I was wondering if any of you could make some suggestions given some criteria. Basically I would like a pocket folder as a backup to my primary non-edged (well, you could say DPX bullets are kind of edged!) weapon. I bought a cheap folder knife in the meantime for 8 bucks. I would like to spend under 50, preferably under 40. I know for a serious knife enthusiast that probably sounds like blasphemy, but thats the budget. Obviously needs to be a one-handed opener design. I like the black tanto blades personally...but thats mostly aesthetics. Still, that's what I'd prefer. Anyone have a good recommendation?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Assisted Opening...

...Ken Onion/Leek...(assisted opener)...Great knife...
    I have the regular version ($60), and the lighter weight version with the ZDP 189 steel blade ($120)...

It's a tough shopping feat...so many makes and models...

Good luck...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    I went from Buck Mayo TNT to my current Kershaw Scallion. Small knife, but very amenable to pocket with reduced size and bulk. Does all I require of a pocket folder - but be sure you get genuine Kershaw as there are fakes everywhere.

Holds edge very well for me.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Google CRKT knives.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Spyderco waved Endura. Easy open from pocket, very intimidating. Cheap, dependable and very well made. Not to mention, one of the best opening systems if auto's are illegal where you live (autos usually include assisted open mind you.)

I found the DEAL!

I just bought my Kershaw Ken Onion Leek at - yup - Walmart in the ammo department. They had quite a selection. Paid $45.74 plus tax. NICE KNIFE! The Speed Safe technology makes the knife a simple "flip" to open and it locks positively. Very sharp blade (as my index finger attests!)

Just like you I just couldn't justify $160 to $200 for a knife. This will be an excellent backup for my XD. Now for some practice with the knife...

By the way, just received my Smart Carry holster today. Really interesting. It REALLY DOES just disappear. Amazing. Even has a pouch to hold, say, a knife....
    When a criminal busts down your door in the middle of the night, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a phone?

When a thug shoves a gun in your face in the mall parking lot, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a cellphone?

Decent priced Benchmade Custom Tactical Knife

Check out the NRA Store here for a good quality Benchmade Tactical knife for $46.

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product....tid=SS%2024306
    When a criminal busts down your door in the middle of the night, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a phone?

When a thug shoves a gun in your face in the mall parking lot, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a cellphone?

For the price range you mentioned, I'd go with either a Spyderco Delica or Endura (waved) or something from the Cold Steel Voyager line. CRKT's are good too.

Avoid liner-locks...they're just not worth it when you can find knives with better locks for a similar price.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Great suggestions! Thank you!

Quick question though...with the assisted opening knives, if I go on vacation in California later this year and carry one of these in place of a verboten firearm, will that still end up with me in the klink, for possessing an Evil Switchblade?

I think I was born for the Leek. If only because I love the vegetable.

Oh, and a quick OT note, I recently purchased (more as a collectible than a serious combat knife) the Sheffield British commando knife...beautiful worksmanship, great blade. Made in one of the original factories in the UK.

I think just about any folder that isnt an auto or a butterfly is legal in Kali, isn't it?

I think you can even legally carry a folder as big as a cold steel X2 Voyager if you wish.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

In California you may have any length folding knife. And Assisted open is explicitly okay for both open and concealed carry.
    However, automatic knives and balisongs ( for both concealed and open carry) are limited to under 2 inches.

Keep in mind: As with most places, towns and cities may regulate knife length. EG: LA prohibits any knife over 3 inches. But most police officers are not ******** and will not charge you if you admit to having a knife, even if you're in LA and have a 4 inch blade. Just keep your knife to yourself and if an officer asks about your knife be honest and show you were trying to obey the law the best you could.

Let me know if you have any more questions or want clarification on anything.

This is not legal advice.

+1 for the Spyderco Delica.

I don't have a waved model but with just a little practice, the standard model is extremely quick to deploy.

I got one of the Delica trainers and sit around openning it while watching TV.

The real knife is even easier to open.

It is also EXTREMELY light. I usually use appendix carry for mine and I always forget it is there.

I think it runs right around $50.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

ckd
    I prefer a non-assist, no locks, that can be opened with either hand using a quick flick to open. The bigger the blade you can legally handle the better, think of a large opponent in winter garb; easy neck shots are rare.

Quote Originally Posted by ckd View Post
    I prefer a non-assist, no locks, that can be opened with either hand using a quick flick to open. The bigger the blade you can legally handle the better, think of a large opponent in winter garb; easy neck shots are rare.
    No lock??? okay...why is that?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Something on the order of Benchmade with an Axis lock. Maybe a mini-griptilian. I can't remember what I paid for my mini-grips, but I think one of them was right around $50. Also, Walmart carries the Spyderco Native for $30ish. Nice knife, but not nearly as nice as the axis lock Benchmade in my opinion.
    \"What you\'ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response where you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul.\" My adoring wife, at least once a day.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links