Can Anyone Help Identify This Pocket Knife?

This is a discussion on Can Anyone Help Identify This Pocket Knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, My grandfather left me a tackle box that contained, among various wooden lures, a curious knife. It looks old, but it's not beat up. ...

Thread: Can Anyone Help Identify This Pocket Knife?

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Can Anyone Help Identify This Pocket Knife?

Hello,

My grandfather left me a tackle box that contained, among various wooden lures, a curious knife. It looks old, but it's not beat up. More like used well and well taken care of.

I'm more of a gun guy and, though I used to have a knife collection, it no longer exists. I retained some pieces that were useful to me but mostly they're utilitarian.

Anyway, here is the knife. Hopefully someone can help me.

Thank you,

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    No, but I bet they can.

Colonial Knife Company got its start in 1919 when it's founder, Antonio Paolantonio returned from WWI after serving with the United States Calvary as a Black Smith. Antonio began making knives at 9 Calendar Street in Providence, Rhode Island. Antonio called his new company the "A. Paolantonio Cutlery Company." Antonio's first customers were the jewelry industry. Antonio made knife skeletons and sold the skeletons to the jewelry industry where they would place exotic handles on the knives and re-sell the finished knives to high end men's clothing stores. Over the years the business grew and in 1926 Antonio changed the company name to Colonial Knife Company, Inc.

World War II broke out and Antonio was asked to serve on the War Production Board in Washington, D.C. where he oversaw the allocation of steel to the cutlery industry and research that lead to the only combat knife to use polymers (plastics) for knife handles that offered Navy corpsman and medics the ability to boil the knife to make it sterile.

Over the next 40 years Colonial Knife grew adding over 150 product lines and during the 1960's enjoyed the reputation as the world's largest knife manufacturer.

During the 1970's and into the 1980's Colonial produced collector knives for Smith & Wesson, Colt, Winchester, and the "John Russell Barlow" knives for Russell Harrington Company (Dexter Russell) the "Colonel Coon" knife line along with producing knives for a number of knife manufacturers under private label.

Colonial's current brands include such names as Ranger,Colonial-Prov.USA, Old Cutler, Anvil Brand, Coyote, Master Series, Swiss Master, BackCountry, Solder Tec, Hurricane, GSA government Knives, auto knives, Hand Crafted Series and Barlow.

1996 - 2004, Verizon-Bryant College Telecommunications Center, All rights reserved.

My guess is that it is old marketing swag for a company that manufactured radios in the '20s and '30s under the name Kodel Manufacturing Co. or Kodel Radio Corp. in Cincinatti, OH. Interesting link here.

One of Colonial Prov.'s core businesses has long been making knives with company logos.
    Last edited by lowflyer; February 2nd, 2007 at 11:54 AM.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

You can also post the pics at www.bladeforums.com . They have a "Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades" forum under the "General" forum that is very knowledgeable. Sorry I can't help you directly.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Thank you gents!

Josh <><

Links