Alternative Weaponry, Part Two: Machetes

This is a discussion on Alternative Weaponry, Part Two: Machetes within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://themartialist.com/1206/machet...ientweapon.pdf It's a PDF file....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Weaponry, Part Two: Machetes

For people who are hindered with bad weapons laws, these are great ideas.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Keeney View Post
    For people who are hindered with bad weapons laws, these are great ideas.
    Lemme see, hmm - it's a felony to possess a gun here, so I'm gonna carry a concealed sword/machete instead (also a felony). Great idea!

At home...not on the street...
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

For my part, it's cane combatives and as large of a spyderco that I can legally carry..

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    so I'm gonna carry a concealed sword/machete instead (also a felony). Great idea!
    Yup! You and MS-13!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

In the areas where they are predominent, it's usually possible to get a CCW though..

The article is not an attempt to advocate carry of a machete to the exclusion of, or in preference compared to, other weapons. It is simply commentary on the sad state of laws relating to such a tool, as well as an explanation of how to use said tool as a weapon.

I'd rather have the option and the knowledge than wishful thinking and a bus ticket.

[Edit] Please note that the information contained herein is academic in nature and does not constitute the advocacy of any illegal activity of any kind.
    Last edited by Phil Elmore; February 2nd, 2007 at 05:58 PM.

I carry a machete with me when I go to state parks (Guns are not allowed without CCW). Texas law says that a machete is fine for everywhere but the airport and the dinner table.

My understanding of Arizona law allows swords of any length to be carried as long as they are not concealed.

There's enough freakin' laws. It ruffles my feathers when people start making them up for us based on how they feel about a subject.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I fail to see the point in this discussion. It should be no surprise to any reasonable person that a machete can be used as both a defensive and offensive weapon. How this can be a topic for any sort of article must just be above my ability to comprehend. Machetes seem fairly intuitive to me. You swing the sharp side at an object and it will cut. Right?
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Why does this seem to come up. If you cannot have a firearm at your home (and you cant move) use something that is NOT going to get you lumped into a stupid catagory along with the likes of MS-13. Yes you use a machette you will get lumped into that type of group. I have one, its attached to my LBD vest for use when I deploy down range, NOT for use at my home. A good baseball bad would serve you just as well and you'll find yourself in alot less issues with a prosecutor / homicide detectives.

Yes I know say it all you want, but head this, if you intentionally have a machette in your home for "self defense" use, it will cost you at a minimum a ton of money and quite likely your freedom.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Defeatism is not a strategy. The point of the article is not to advocate the use of the machete over other weapons, but to decry the state of laws concerning the tool while explaining how such an implement is used. The purpose of the former should be obvious; the purpose of the latter is to educate those who don't happen to be experts in edged weapons. When considering any implement, I am concerned first and foremost with its physical utility. That is what interests me and that is why I write about such things. The reader is then free to determine in what contexts having such a tool at hand is legal and advisable.

I see very little purpose in decrying the existence of information and education as somehow unnecessary. All knowledge is power.
    Last edited by Phil Elmore; February 3rd, 2007 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Why does this seem to come up. If you cannot have a firearm at your home (and you cant move) use something that is NOT going to get you lumped into a stupid catagory along with the likes of MS-13. Yes you use a machette you will get lumped into that type of group. I have one, its attached to my LBD vest for use when I deploy down range, NOT for use at my home. A good baseball bad would serve you just as well and you'll find yourself in alot less issues with a prosecutor / homicide detectives.

Yes I know say it all you want, but head this, if you intentionally have a machette in your home for "self defense" use, it will cost you at a minimum a ton of money and quite likely your freedom.
    Well stated.

I would add that it would be nearly indefensible in court if you hacked someone (armed assailant or not) to death.

Lying down and dying is almost always defensible in court, on the other hand, so I guess we have that to recommend it.

I reckon I just can't fathom resorting to swinging a machete at a person for any reason. It's sort of the same way I can't imagine using a chainsaw for self defense. I, like most folks in the US, have so many other defensive tools at my disposal that I would have a better chance of winning the lottery than to ever have a need to swing a machete in my defense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links