Cold Steel

This is a discussion on Cold Steel within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back from the Hunting Expo in Harrisburg PA the other day. I have been going for the past three years and I ...

Thread: Cold Steel

Cold Steel

I just got back from the Hunting Expo in Harrisburg PA the other day. I have been going for the past three years and I always pick up a new blade. This year I bought a folding Cold Steel Gunsite with a 4" partially serrated tanto blade and a "plastic" clip. I had one many years ago that I cannot find anywhere.

I like the plastic clip over the metal ones because they do not get loose an are less likely to get caught up on anything.

I guess I should take some pictures, huh? OK OK I'll post them later.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Add Temporary Pic

VIP Member
    One of my first knives was a Cold Steel Voyager tanto, 4" blade. It was built like a tank, but I hated the plastic clip (I had an older model). After clipping it to my pants everyday, it eventually bent outwards and no longer tightly clipped the knife. I actually like the newer metal clips better, and I can Lock-tite those on.

Enjoy your new knife!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I had a 4" Gunsite with the metal clip (I don't like plastic). I'm not crazy about serrations but otherwise it's a heckuva knife...I'm sure you'll like it.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I do not have the Gunsite, but I do have the 4" Voyager tanto. Great knife. I ended up rounding the edges of the spine so I could use it as a yawara stick when closed, the edges were a bit too sharp angeled. Other than that, it is a fine blade for the cost.
    Last edited by jenglish; February 5th, 2007 at 08:08 PM.

I have a 4" Voyager and I have abused that knife on occasion. It's still sharp, and it still works- a real tank.

Congrats.

When I was still living in San Diego, one of the local gunshow guys had a very large box of discount Cold Steel knives with broken plastic clips.

I'll never buy another Cold Steel knife, but the ones I have have got metal clips.

Here are the pics, not as nice as QkShooter's pic but these are mine. The metal clip has been bent back into place a few times, now it is just too mangled. Many of you seem to like the metal clips better, I prefer the plastic. To each his own. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Nice knives!! I have used a Recon1 for years, I prefer tanto shaped blades and enjoyed abused and carried mine.

hso
    Cold Steel used to replace the plastic clips on their knives that had broken clips with a metal clip. They would grind off the remaining plastic of the old clip and screw mount the replacement metal clip. I was told that the cost of doing this brought them to the conclusion that they should switch to a metal clip and redesigned their knives accordingly.

One advantage of plastic pocket clips is that they won't scratch the finish on your car as you slide in.

Quote Originally Posted by hso View Post
    One advantage of plastic pocket clips is that they won't scratch the finish on your car as you slide in.
    What? are you doing a "Duke boys hood slide" to get into your car?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

hso
    Too much "stuff" in the garage so I tend to brush the side of the vehicle right with my Sebenza as I get in. I never realized what it was doing until I had a nice set of scratches going.

Quote Originally Posted by hso View Post
    Too much "stuff" in the garage so I tend to brush the side of the vehicle right with my Sebenza as I get in. I never realized what it was doing until I had a nice set of scratches going.
    I figured it was probably something like that

Matt K.

Links