The 2005's are here. Surprise find.

This is a discussion on The 2005's are here. Surprise find. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a small knife business that caters to the police and fire trade. I ordered a bunch of new stuff, and found a little ...

Thread: The 2005's are here. Surprise find.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar

I have a small knife business that caters to the police and fire trade. I ordered a bunch of new stuff, and found a little jewel.

It is the new Dalton swing-guard. It's a small slender stiletto, a little over 2 inches for a blade and a snappy little spring. This would make a great 'hide-out' knife to be secreted somewhere on the body.

Even a little crowded, I can get all four fingers on the handle. It should be ideal for little Betty, even as a main EDC.

It came 'sharp' with a very uniform edge. Two polishes, and it will be spooky.

The end use price is +/- 165 dollars plus S/H.

Since I'm one-handing it for a few weeks, this will be my new little friend.

VIP Member
    Umm... Tourist,

:worthless
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Betty,

You have mail.

Look like this??

Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Yes, that's it.

For some unknown reason, I like stilettos (tongue:cheek).

It's pretty handy, and with this one hand condition, sometimes it's been helpful. I do want to re-profile the edge back +/- 1 degree. I like a finer edge.

I think that can wait until I can sharpen without the hand splint.

VIP Member
    Now that's a neat looking knife. Tourist, you may be able to design a really cool contraption around the hand splint where you can flick your wrist and blade pops out a la movie style. ching!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Betty,

Since I sent you a picture of the contraption they put my hand in, you can bet I'd rather have the whole healing business far behind me. My wife caught me taking the thing off to rinse off some dinner dishes, and now I have THAT chore back again. ("You're a biker that's used to broken bones and pain--scrub harder, use more detergent...!")

Actually, I shove the Dalton into any available front jean's pocket, even in my jean jacket. I still am carrying the Li'l Temperance (and that's got to be a record), but the little Dalton is just great to slit an envelope or open a box. Experience shows me that it needs a finer edge, but that is a minor problem.

Betty, it's teeny, sharp and dangerous. If I didn't know better, I'd think YOU invented it!

Additional report

I brought this BTTT to report my first weeks with the Dalton.

So far, three sharpenings. Not because it needed them, but if I'm going to sell the little darlings, I want to know how they hold up, cut, re-sharpen, wear in the pocket, appeal to the public, etc.

The public thinks they're cute...and pricey. I agree. But they are a strong knife with incredible blade/spring speed and above average fit and finish.

As I said, mine came sharp, and had a fairly good blade grind. My first sharpening and polish did reveal a slight uneven grind on the left side near the point. I'm disappointed when I find these, but I guarantee that +75% of new knives have spots like this somewhere. Sometimes, even small chips.

It was an easy fix.

As with all stilettos, its prime function is to pierce. As such, the tip must be sharp, but more like a needle, and thicker to avoid breakage.

Truth be told, most stilettos spend their entire lives cutting the same stuff you cut, that is, string, tape and UPS boxes.

The Dalton is +22 degrees, and needed that third sharpening and polish. It is 'very sharp,' and you can discern that hinkie feeling when you check the edge. The cosmetic aspect is quite good, the bevel does not have the blotchy look of a recent polish, it's just a smooth expanse, like a chrome bumper.

Would it be my only knife for a midnight stroll through a disserted parking ramp? Well, it could be a boot knife back-up to my main Strider.

It could a singular knife if I was packing my Glock 27.

I would carry it for chores.

Because of its size, it would make a better first strike knife for Betty. She could hide it better than larger options. If it came to a contact-type show-down, she'd be inside the perp's grasp, anyway. It would fit her hand better.

As for beauty, an intangible quality, well let's just say that a stiletto beats anything for style and grace. It snaps when it opens, it gleams, there's an unspoken facet that says, "My owner has a delightfully evil side." It's as much a 'jackknife' as a Mustang Cobra is 'basic transportation.'

Give me two more polishes and another month. The cost will fade.

It will be a part of my life then, and closer to 'spooky.'

edit: It just easily shaved hair from my left arm. I felt nothing.

Sponsored Links