Knifes for self defense????

This is a discussion on Knifes for self defense???? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A knife is a very useful tool, but for self-defense, I can’t put much faith in it. If the weight of it in your pocket ...

Thread: Knifes for self defense????

A knife is a very useful tool, but for self-defense, I can’t put much faith in it. If the weight of it in your pocket reminds you to be more aware of your surroundings, excellent. It also might give you a confidence that shows in your body language and deters a BG. If forced to draw your knife, the fact that you will not be ‘easy’ might send one or more BG’s to seek fame and fortune elsewhere.

If things go downhill from that point, I do not see a favorable outcome for 99.99% of us. Maybe that is the reason that there are almost no ‘armed citizen’ reports around where the knife saved the day.

Now, it is your turn to tell me why I am a confused idiot for saying this.

i don't entirely disagree with you. i think those of us who keep this in mind have a better chance than those who don't, however. most of the time, if you're forced to draw a knife, things have already gone to hell. some of us (myself included) are lucky or smart enough to have been trained in the use of bladed weapons for defense. i guess that's the 1% you spoke of.

Would you gouge someone's eyes out, if you were in fear for your life? Would you bite off fingers, a nose, ears? Pretty much the same context, it may not be your top choice, but it beats the heck of sticking to "Queensbury rules". Train with what you carry. DVD's and a hanging target are better than nothing.

Knife is used for rentension use. Someone tries to get my gun they are going to get stabbed by my knife. Simple as that.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    A knife is a very useful tool, but for self-defense, I can’t put much faith in it. If the weight of it in your pocket reminds you to be more aware of your surroundings, excellent. It also might give you a confidence that shows in your body language and deters a BG. If forced to draw your knife, the fact that you will not be ‘easy’ might send one or more BG’s to seek fame and fortune elsewhere.

If things go downhill from that point, I do not see a favorable outcome for 99.99% of us. Maybe that is the reason that there are almost no ‘armed citizen’ reports around where the knife saved the day.

Now, it is your turn to tell me why I am a confused idiot for saying this.
    Whether or not you can put much faith in it depends not on the object, but how you train. If you train specifically to use said knife...you should have the same faith in it's performance (as it is directed by you) as you do in your concealed handgun (which should be a 1911 btw...lord bless this thy holy 1911....). A knife, a pencil, a set of keys on a lanyard, a firearm...can call be just as dependable IF you train with them regularly and become fluent. A knife is a simple, yet elegant tool and when used properly is more dependable than any firearm because it needs to do nothing but wait patiently in the owners hands and be directed. A gun has internal working components that can and do fail. You wont find that in a knife (unless of course you have one of those nice fancy auto folders).

Before the advent of gunpowder, swords, knives, and miscellaneous other stabbing/slashing tools were used to GREAT effect.

That being said, don't bring a knife to a gun fight - but a tool in the hands of a skilled user can prove just as deadly or effective in the means of self-defense.

Would I rely on it 100%? No. I don't rely on my gun 100% either - they're just tools to give you a leg up.

Administrator
    DITTO:

"Whether or not you can put much faith in it depends not on the object, but how you train."

VIP Member
    I just started carrying a knife recently. I'm not a knife fighter or will I most likely be trained that way. But I like that extra protection knowing I have this knife in my pocket.

I have carried a knife since I was 8 yrs. old. Every kid should have a pocket knife but in this PC world that would shut down entire cities these days. Anyway I am not a knife fighter but in place of nothing else it is handy to have in your hand. When I couldn't carry a gun my knife would be in my hand ready for deployment if I needed it. I carry an auto assist folder.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Just like our firearms, we should train in whatever we wish or intend to carry, be it knives, pepper sprays, or batons.

To paraphrase someone's sig line here (that was quoted by someone else) To own a gun and think you are armed is like owning a piano and believe you are a painist. Same holds true with your knife.

Realistically, most people will use their $125.00 Spyderco to open letters and scrape crud out from under their fingernails. Very few times will it actually be used for defensive purposes. Our firearms are the same way (used for recreation more than for defence), but we still seek out more knowledge on using them defensively. Why not our knives?

I have bought into the idea that if attacked you should "fight" not "shoot".

By that I mean you will use whatever you have available with which to survive. If that means shooting, OK. If it means using a knife or hand-to-hand, that's fine, too.

A knife is one of the tools in your fight box.

I practice "dry firing" my knife as well as my gun but unfortunately have not had any real knife training. . . . YET!

My wife and I both are hoping to get some formal knife training in the near future.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

As mentioned by another poster so lucidly, a knife is another tool and faith in its use comes through training. Indeed, there's always the issue of not enough hours in the day, but some amount of training in the use of this tool, along with your firearm, and along with unarmed methods are beneficial.

hso
    If things go downhill from that point, I do not see a favorable outcome for 99.99% of us.
    I agree, but then 99.9% of us have no training in defending against a knife or using a knife in self defense (or any other H2H). I have never drawn one of my knives in self defense even though I've been unfortunate enough to be in situations that would have warranted it. It wasn't because I didn't have a knife on me (Ask Betty if she'd ever expect me to not have a knife on me?). Instead, it was because things happened so quickly there wasn't time. That's where other skills saved my bacon.

Fighting is mind set, if you are in a knife fight you are going to get cut, that is a given. If when fighting you get hurt and quit , you lose.
    In any fight you have to fight to win regardless of the price.
    A knife like a gun is just a tool, sometimes you may need it to protect your life. When you need a knife most is when you don't have one, same as with a gun. Therefore always carry one, or more realistic, carry 2 or more.

Knives are tools that are used for other things then a weapon but serve as a weapon if needed. I always carry at least 3 knives, they each have different uses as general tools but each one can serve as a weapon.

Sponsored Links