Alternatives to the knife

This is a discussion on Alternatives to the knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being 60-something, I do not think it would be a good idea to engage in hand to hand with a 20-something BG (or BGs), even ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to the knife

Talking Alternatives to the knife

Being 60-something, I do not think it would be a good idea to engage in hand to hand with a 20-something BG (or BGs), even if I have a knife and he does not. I have no training with it, and none is planned. If forced to, I could at least make him damned sorry, but the probability of a good outcome is low.

So, if I ever revisit the District of Crime or one of the other high crime/no carry zones, I will have my knife, but also a very stout cane. Bad back, don't you know, or was it my knee? Nobody will question that, and I can take it anywhere. A cane is part Louisville slugger, part baton. It can disarm and disable. It can break bones from a couple of feet further away than a knife can reach. It isnít a gun, but it is a pretty good defensive weapon.

Now, who else has a good idea for a non-knife means of protection?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I know an fella in his 60's that pretends that his vision isnt so great, and takes along his shutzhund trained German Sheperd. He has the harness and the whole deal, and the dog looks evil. No one will come near him or the dog, I have seen thug types cross the street to avoid the dog.

I know its not exactly the most ethical answer, but I thought it was rather smart and it works.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    So, if I ever revisit the District of Crime or one of the other high crime/no carry zones, I will have my knife, but also a very stout cane. Bad back, don't you know, or was it my knee? Nobody will question that, and I can take it anywhere. A cane is part Louisville slugger, part baton. It can disarm and disable. It can break bones from a couple of feet further away than a knife can reach. It isnít a gun, but it is a pretty good defensive weapon.
    Unlike most other defensive implements (including knives), canes are generally allowed on airplanes. They will get X-rayed (presumably to make sure you aren't smuggling aboard semtex or a sword) but you can carry them aboard. They're probably the most effective weapon allowed on an airliner at this point.

Canes can be very effective weapons, they can comprise a whole area of martial arts study for the really devoted. Watched a demo once by a nice old Korean gent. Any group of knife wielding thugs would have regretted picking on him, the things he could do to you with that crook....

But a schutzhund seeing eye dog, now THAT is class! Besides a good schutzhund dog will probably have twice the brain power of most people, particularly crooks.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

get yourself a surefire or comparable hand torch in 100 lumen & above.they can't fight what they can't see & when they start to see again,there is a big white dot on anything there trying to focus on for the next couple of minutes.there worth the money.

As I am not of that age yet some other less lethal forms of carry is along with a Surefire I also carry Fox OC.

Mmmmmm...Other Than A Firearm?

OC spray...
    Kershaw/Ken Onion, Leek Assisted Opener (ZDB189 Steel)...
    SureFire E2e (65 lumens)...
    Nissan Pathfinder (full auto/230 horsepower)...

They all can be useful in the right sutuation...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

hso
    A cane is a great "stealth" weapon if it fits with your appearance. Like any H2H weapon it requires some practice and the user would benefit from some training with it to avoid the most obvious reactions a BG would have to it. The cane itself should also be stout enough to deliver a hard bone-breaking blow without being damaged in the process, but even an Al collapsable cane can drive off an attacker.

I take a cane with me whenever I fly.

Canes or long walking sticks are nice, If you hit someone with it and it breaks, remember you are still left with a stabbing Implement.
    Weapons are all around you all the time. Chairs, rocks, bottles, books, knives, belts, lamps, electric cords, Basically anything you can hold onto can be used as a weapon. Some things are leathal some not.

A good exercise is to walk around looking at things and think about how they may be used. It nevers hurts to practice using things as if they were a weapon in defence.

Nearly anything can be a weapon if you think about it. A hot cup of coffee thrown into someones face can distract, maybe blind, giving a person time to escape. Remember If you are capable of running it sometimes is the best option.

Grab whatever is available and use it as a weapon till you can access a better weapon and continue this action till the fight is over.

Many people lose their life because they want to play fair. I was taught that playing fair is only for siblings, any one else cheat.

Don't forget about a cars antena. They are getting a little scarce but you can find at least one or two in any parking lot.

Get an ASP baton

keep your keys on a lanyard and keep them in your pocket with the lanyard hanging out...Quick access distance weapon. Lots of sharp, metal objects swinging towards BG's face...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Canes can be very effective weapons, they can comprise a whole area of martial arts study for the really devoted. Watched a demo once by a nice old Korean gent. Any group of knife wielding thugs would have regretted picking on him, the things he could do to you with that crook....

Check out Canemasters

They sell canes that are designed specifically to be dual purpose (walking cane, self defense device). There is indeed a separate self-defense discipline that has grown up around canes.

I don't have a cane from this company, but I have been considering it. (I'm 35, don't need a cane and don't look like I do, so I'd have to feign needing one if I wanted to carry it on an airliner.)

The best weapons are those that people can't call weapons and start trying to keep you from possessing. They've banned kubotans from airliners, but people can still bring long wooden sticks! Hahaha!

Assistant Administrator
    I have on order from http://www.knivesplus.com/ - a Walkabout XL walking stick. Made from ash with a good ball end for the hand. It is about all I will have as any means of protection when in IL in April.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Knife alternatives

Get the Talon Tactical Tool...lightweight, excellent for CQB...very easily concealed, no one knows what it is...completely disable your aggressor in a matter of seconds and be on your way...
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links