Spyderco or CKRT

This is a discussion on Spyderco or CKRT within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I just picked up an extra shift for this weekend, meaning I don't get to go out and have fun any night, so I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco or CKRT

Spyderco or CKRT

So I just picked up an extra shift for this weekend, meaning I don't get to go out and have fun any night, so I decided with the extra money saved/earned that night, I'm gonna get a new folder. I have narrowed it down to two of them, a spyderco and a CKRT.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/39723-11896-1276.html

THat is the CKRT, its one of their "Carson" models, which honsetly I can't really tell the difference between that and the M-16. It is made out of AUS-8, so it should be durable enough per my understanding for everyday use.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/32207-18877-1289.html
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/32218-18881-1289.html

OR a Spyderco Endura or Delica. Both with a plain blade, but probably the Endura since the blade is a little bigger.

Off this website, any of them are under $45, does that also sound reasonable to everybody? I have heard good things about both, so all you knife nuts try to convince me which one to get.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Hi buckeye07, I am a big Spyderco fan because I feel you get real honest value in all of their knives. For me the Endura is too big, I prefer the Delica, but both of these knives are consistently best sellers. I would suggest that you get neither of the Spyderco knives in your link as they are the Gen 3 models. The Gen 4 models have not been out very long now and IMHO are MUCH BETTER. They have a stronger tip and the pocket clip is adjustable for right/left, tip up/tip down carry. They have embedded steel liners which make the handle much stronger. Just an all around better knife!!
    I would also like to suggest New Graham Knives as a great place on the net to purchase one from. I have dealt with these people many times and they are awesome!! Their CS is second to none. Either Mike or Mary Beth are great people!!
    Here is a link for them: http://newgraham.com/default.aspx
    A link to their web page for the Endura: http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=4894
    The Endura4 is just a bit more money than what you were looking at, but I think it is worth it.
    Also the Spyderco forums are a GREAT PLACE with many good people over there. We would be glad to have you join us. I am "ront" there also. http://spyderco.com/forums/index.php?
    I hope that helps you a bit. Please let me know if I can give you any more info. I will add a couple of pics of my Delica4.

Ron

PS: I work for neither of these places .

Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

KIt Carson designed the M-16 for CRKT, it is an M-16, just check the manufacturers reference number.

M-16s and M-21s are awesome knives at a good price. I have quite a few of them.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Hands down win for Spyderco. Know Sal and have to admit that likely clouds my judgement. Own four CRKT knives (KISS, Stiff KISS and a Crawford folder/fixed blade) and their all good knives, but I still prefer any one of the dozen Spyderco's to them, though neither will replace my Emerson as a daily carry.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Thanks Ront,
    One of the reasons I like this forum, people will let you know if you are about to make a mistake on a purchase. New Grahm Knives has this Endura with wave:
    http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=5709
    I have heard good things about the wave, any comments about that one?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    If you want a knife that is fun to flick open, go for the M16. You can't go wrong with either.

Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

buckeye07, that would be a great knife!! I still want and need to get one of the Wave models. As it says, this knife is using the wave which was designed by Emerson. I have tried one of these out before and they do work really slick. I think that you would really like it a lot!! The VG-10 is also great steel.
    Let us know what you decide.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Well, ront, since you are around, I have pretty much decided either the wave Endura, or this one:
    http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=4900
    I like the looks of the stainless handles better than the Zytel ones, how do they tend to hold up?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

The stainless scales will hold up fine- maybe not quite as secure on the draw, though. From experience, I can get my waved Endura out with oil or water on my hands, in hot or cold weather. Just something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Well, ront, since you are around, I have pretty much decided either the wave Endura, or this one:
    http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=4900
    I like the looks of the stainless handles better than the Zytel ones, how do they tend to hold up?
    Hi buckeye07, sorry I am getting back so late here. I had just popped in for a minute last night.
    I only have one SS handled knife that I carry often. It is a good solid feeling knife, that part I like. The SS handle does get a bit slippery when wet and does get scratched up pretty easy. It is pretty when new. The light scratches can be buffed out. Some people really like the SS handled knives. They are not my favorite. The FRN handles of the Waved Endura can take a lot of abuse.
    I hope that helps.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Ront,
    No problem, I try not to rush decision like this since my income isn't unlimited, although I will probably make the decision sometime this weekend. My conern with the Stainless handles was that the grip could suffer because of them.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    I carry the M-16-14T by CKRT (http://www.crkt.com/m16titan.html), and have for more than 2 years now. A good year of that has been spent in Afghanistan and Iraq, where it has served in every imaginal capacity a knife could serve. It's become my favorite knife, and if I ever do break it or lose it I won't cry like a baby (like I would if I lost an Emerson). I can recommend them without hesitation.

All that being said, I think you'll be well served with any of the knives on your short list.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Well, after reading responses here and most of the threads in the Knives section, I decided that I will just go around in circles unless I make a decision. So I did, I just ordered a Spyderco Delica with a wave from New Graham. My reasons for this over the CKRT, were that I like the back lock better than the auto-LAWKS on the CKRT for this knife. I have cheap liner-lock folders that will still do the grunt-work, but this one will be my EDC, and if I need to use it, I like that better. I also like the ability to move the clip to any of the 4 positions for whichever side and type of carry I want.

They also had Surefire G-2's for about the lowest I have seen $31.50, so I got one of those too. Hopefully these two items will last me a while for both the knife and light section, so I don't have to worry about buying new ones in the next couple years. Thanks for all the input from everyone.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good choice to me, on both fronts!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I like the back lock better than the auto-LAWKS
    I made a thread about my dissatisfaction with CRKT adopting the auto LAWKS a while ago, so I fully agree.
    I won't buy another knife from them with that feature, one is enough. I want to be able to choose to use LAWKS as I can with my other CRKT knives.
    This might mean I don't buy any more M16/M21s, so be it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links