Under 21 Carry Options

This is a discussion on Under 21 Carry Options within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy guys, I am currently under 21, the minimum age to get a CCW permit in my state (TX). What do y'all suggest for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Under 21 Carry Options

Under 21 Carry Options

Howdy guys,

I am currently under 21, the minimum age to get a CCW permit in my state (TX). What do y'all suggest for a good self-defense solution until I can get my permit (and a P229)? I currently own a Taser X26 that I carry IWB .. sounds crazy but seems like one of the only options I have at this point. Opinions or other suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by cessna_pilot View Post
    Howdy guys,

I am currently under 21, the minimum age to get a CCW permit in my state (TX). What do y'all suggest for a good self-defense solution until I can get my permit (and a P229)? I currently own a Taser X26 that I carry IWB .. sounds crazy but seems like one of the only options I have at this point. Opinions or other suggestions?

Thanks guys!
    It seems like you've already answered your question! I didn't even know X26's were legal for civvys

Pepper spray, stun gun, tactical pen.
    SD course wouldn't be a bad idea either. Many martial arts to choose.
    An inkpen can make a good weapon. A set of keys can be a good substitute for brass knuckles (keys sticking up through your fingers.)

You can carry most foldable knives. But don't rely on a knife to save you without training.

Chapter 46.01 of the Texas Penal Code defines an illegal knife as:

(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear

I would love to carry an Asp but....
    An expandable baton is considered a club and is a no-no to carry.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Or join the military, you can get your Tx CHL at 18 then.
    SpencerB, LimaCharlie and FlaRon like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Is that Taser legal to conceal-carry in your area? Stay on the right side of the law - disqualifying yourself from the ability to carry a concealed firearm later in life just so you can have a tool to use, now, to me, is akin to winning the battle but losing the war.

Given your age, I'd make physical training your top priority: you're "ground floor" right now, so you might as well get off on the best foot possible.

Search around for "integrated combatives" instruction in your area, as well as look to increase your base physical fitness.

Weapons are secondary - they're just tools. You are the weapon.

These two blog entries by Kyle Defoor really put things into perspective for me:

Defoor Proformance Shooting | Training Balance and How Good is Good Enough?...
    Defoor Proformance Shooting | Training Balance and How Good is Good Enough (Part...

No mention in the Penal Code. TASER's guide(https://www.taser.com/images/resourc...mary-chart.pdf) also says legal to carry.
    pecanshooter223 likes this.

How do you carry an x26 IWB? I hope the cartridge is covered up... When I carried an x26 I used the extended grip that held a spare cartridge. That spare cartridge caught some static electricity and discharged into my steering wheel. I would hate to have a static induced discharge of those darts into my family jewels.
    pecanshooter223 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    No mention in the Penal Code. TASER's guide(https://www.taser.com/images/resourc...mary-chart.pdf) also says legal to carry.
    Cool.

Any other less-lethal you're allowed to carry? "Pepper spray?"

I'd carry a flashlight and a knife as well. Those will compliment your concealed-carry firearm, when the time comes (the "pepper spray" can, too).

How are you in terms of hand-to-hand skills? Overall fitness?
    pecanshooter223 and FlaRon like this.

Great, now I have to explain to my wife why I must have one. Jerk.

A sharp pocket knife would be a good choice.

Hard to imagine a much better tool than a Taser for that purpose.

A good flashlight with a striking bezel may be a decent addition. Bright light can be a deterrent to less-serious threats, it can easily take away the night vision of more serious threats, and if all else fails, it gives you something to smack 'em with if you run out of tase. Plus it has plenty of non-defense utility.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Dont do a Knife .. TX has a bunch of bull crap county to county knife laws ... If you stay in one county and know the law then ok but if you travel ... I like Push knifes .. Just punch and makes a wicked wound and some what less training then other knifes

Stun guns are good but need training and you only get one shot ..

OC is good but blow back sucks and some people are immune to OC . .Either exposed too much or gentic.

Me if legal I like black jacks or saps .. Spring loaded lead to head tends to work close in .. Course illagle most places
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    USe the best defensive weapon you have.... your nogging. Think, be alert, always have a plan. The same goes even when you do get your carry permit
    TSiWRX and FlaRon like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

You're basically limited to less lethal options, unless you've got training in knife fighting. The taser is a good choice, pepper spray would also be something good to carry.

In addition to situational awareness, I would also recommend looking into martial arts training. It's something I've been looking into lately, as it's not just a good way to get exercise, but also teaches you something valuable, that in a self defense situation could help save your life.

As far as I know to purchase a Rifle in Tx. you have to be 18...
    A handgun you must be 21. Pre 1899 black powder isn't considered a firearm as long as it hasn't been modified to shoot modern ammo( center or rim fire).

As far as carrying a rifle... Well forget I mentioned it....
    Hopefully you will have your CHL shortly.......
    "It's almost like a right, except without the pesky Liberty"
    Author unknown.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links