Now here is an odd thing... - Page 2

Now here is an odd thing...

This is a discussion on Now here is an odd thing... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; wasn't offended or put out by ya liking something better than the Lansky. I'll be the first to admit all the downfall pointed out are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lead Moderator

Talking

wasn't offended or put out by ya liking something better than the Lansky. I'll be the first to admit all the downfall pointed out are valid. I just can't see spending on a better system for what little I do. I better not try a Edge pro cause I'll want 1.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Rocky,

I understand, it happens.

I have a friend I met on another knife forum and we had this same conversation. He had heard about the Edge-Pro, but didn't know if it was worth the money.

I stopped at the local hardware store and bought a cheap kitchen knife, put one of my best 'spooky' edges on the critter and a mirror finish and mailed it to his wife, not him.

Just to rub salt into the wound, I included a note saying, "Mrs. Friend, happy birthday, this is your knife. It is now the sharpest knife in your household."

He called me and told me he went nuts after she got her gift! His wife teased him unmercifully, and bragged as she cut tomato slices so thin and opaque that light shown through them.

About two weeks later he called me again, "You slippery Sicilian! Now you did it! I just called Ben Dale and bought it all! I bought the Pro model, all of the stones and spares, all of the tapes and attachments, the scissors fitting, the half sizes and the broad stones--over four hundred bucks...!"

However, not long after that he admitted he got more pleasure from his knives and had not known how sharp a knife can truly get. He was now calling me for advice on specific knives.

I tell people that if the cost seems high, don't worry. Buy a Pro model and some spare stones and go to Sturgis. On one good day, you'll make it all back, and a profit.

VIP Member
    There's nothing wrong with a set of crock sticks or a plain ol' flat stone - I've used them and like them. I'm just picky about having that pretty mirror finish bevel. The Lansky is a very good sharpening system; the EdgePro just takes over where the Lansky leaves off.

I keep my EdgePro locked in the safe when I'm not using it. My next "client" is an MOD Ladyhawk (small, sharply curved hawkbill) - that one's going to be a fun project.

I doubt I'd ever go professional like Tourist - I don't seem to have the time and patience beyond my own knives and the knives of my pals. I hear Tourist is popular with the sushi chefs...
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Well, I believe my talents are popular with sushi chefs. Me? I don't think they like me at all. One chef did not want to let anyone handle his knife, and literally stayed so tight to me I could always feel his torso at my elbow.

My strangest encounter was at a newer Chinese restaurant here in Sun Prairie called 'The Panda.' I drove the Harley over last summer to get their business. A young Asian woman met me at the counter and I asked to see her boss or the owner. She bowed, and disappeared behind the dividers.

I expected to meet a distiguished Asian gentleman in a long flowing red house coat. Instead, a large, smarmy white guy shuffled out of the kitchen. He snatched a greasy cap from his head with a hairy hand.

"Sharpener, heh?" he snorted, "Gimmee your jackknife and let's see if you're any good."

I produced a custom folder with a razor-mirror finish. He looked down at the knife, and ran his meaty thumb on the edge. Without tilting his head, he just shifted his eyes to meet my glance amid a dirty smirk.

"Could have used you in 'Nam," he chortled as he handed me back the blade.

I nodded, made an excuse and sprinted back to my Harley. Yeah, yeah, it's a new company and we need the work.

I just imagined myself chained to a rusty sink in his kitchen, weeping and sharpening, for 'the duration.'

Chico I have a older model gerber applegate covert folder it is made of 154cm with the fake double edge,this knife has never been sharp and I have been told that these knives are hard to get a good sharp edge on.do you know if this is true?Keith

Blade sharpening

Thank you to all who posted on the subject of sharpening. I first learned to sharpen from my Dad, and all we had was the old,cheap farmers oil stone. Later, when I became a pipefitter I had occasion to pick up a ceramic block that was used to line the pipe that powdered coal was blown through to the boiler. It was harder'n the hubs of Hell, and very smooth. I carried a Green River buffalo skinner, which was inexpensive but utilitarian, and took a keen edge. I still have the ceramic block, and still use it. I didn't know until I read posts from you folks that not everybody used them. Guess I'll have to try the Edge Pro, or maybe the less expensive one. If Betty says it's good, that's good enough for me. Thanks for the guidance.

Ghettford,

Crucible's 154-CM is one of my favorite steels; about 1/3 of my collection is 154-CM.

You might have discovered a heat treat issue. For example, my wife has a Boa made from their CPM-440V steel. They now call it S90V. When it came out they treated it to 61 Rc. and beyond. The stuff had a horrible reputation for sharpening and chipping, but once sharp it kept a good edge.

Moderately priced steels that are just over-hard might hold an edge longer than one prepared properly, but they chip (and the round spirals are call concoidal fracture) and any small crack can produce a major chip. Taking such a metal to a fine edge by re-profiling just has that edge crumbling during real-world use.

My guess on your Applegate is that the edge is very blunt (like +25 degrees) rather than a finer 20 degrees. Considering it's a 'fighting knife,' that might not be a bad thing. Most camp axes are sharpened at a blunter angle. After all, a knife like that was not designed for fine caping work on a hunt.

As you know, Betty and I have been discussing the new Dalton swing-guard stiletto. Mine came okay, perhaps a little 'grinding drift' on one bevel, but fairly well made. I sharpened it again today between customers.

Most people would be tickled to death to own a knife this sharp; it's probably +/-24 degrees, perhaps a tad more. The edge is more uniform now, and polished to a mirror finish. I'm ho-hum on the blade right now, and that's unfair.

In the final analysis, a stiletto is made for piercing, and I like a blade at a finer angle for slicing. I'm not a knife dueler, and while the knife might give good daily service, I have other knives that will make more precise cuts. I don't want to sound smug here, but I sell and service knives for a living and comparisons get made.

Yours is a working knife. Get the edge uniform, enjoy it, and don't try to make something out of it that it's not. If you need finer slices, look into a more slender blade sharpened at a more extreme degree.

Tourist,

To many of us, sharpening a knife is NOT like changing oil. It is like putting together a fine holster. It is at least a craft, if not an art. I may not check the dipstick when I get my oil changed (at least until I get home, or out of the parking lot), but when I buy a custom holster or set of grips, I examine them with whatever ability or knowledge that I have, and probably make some kind of appreciative remark to the maker. I understand that many of the folks you see may not know enough to have an opinion, but I 'spect most of them mean well.

You should take their "examinations" as a compliments, at least until indicated otherwise.

Mouse

'Mouse,

Oh, I know you are right, it's just the frequency.

Suppose you were at work, and everytime one paritcular fellow employee got up to go to the bathroom, he bumped you slightly on his way out. Not hard, mind you, just enough for you to feel it. After a short while it would seem like the Chinese water torture.

And at another level, the craftsman issue comes up. How would you like it if you were a plumber, and before you got paid--every time--another plumber had to go over your work, and only then would you get your check.

In this world, you get a crappy, over-priced and unhealthy cheeseburger handed to you by a person who barely speaks English and you wolf it down. I try and provide the best service and the finest hardware many people have seen, and yet yutzes stand in judgement. Many even feel the service should be provided gratis by the store.

I cannot think of anywhere else where a tradesman in a free-market society has to explain 'profit' to so many people.

I have many friends in retail, and one haberdashery buddy of mine says that in the human experience, everyone should have at least one retail job. His perspective is that everyone should stand mute, or have to say "yes, sir, no, sir" as some idiot blows garlic breath on you while he chews you out for nothing. It still gets to you.

I'm new at this angle. Now, if you want the best handgun you seek a 'Tussey Custom.' If you want the best draught animal you seek 'Amish broke.'

Someday, and I hope sooner than later, people will say, "That's Chico's edge."

However, this is my rookie year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links