Planning ahead!

This is a discussion on Planning ahead! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My step son is going thru Boot Camp with USN up in Great lakes IL. It would seem his graduation will be sometime during April ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning ahead!

Assistant Administrator

Planning ahead!

My step son is going thru Boot Camp with USN up in Great lakes IL. It would seem his graduation will be sometime during April and wife and I of course will want to be there and let pride overflow!!!!

BUT!!! .......... oh yes - problems of logistics comes into play. I am good for carry now thru OH and IN - but IL (expletives not printable!) - different matter entirely. We will of course skirt Chicago by widest margin possible but - I am danged if I am gonna be in that state with nothing at all as a defense option. Needless to say too I would be unable to carry onto mil base anyways - wherever it was.

I therefore on checking back found a thread by QK on the "Cold Steel" walking stick options. I decided this was way to go - I am getting ancient and so should not look too odd (not more than normal LOL) sporting a cane. The ''Broadway'' deal with silver knob is IMO too ostentatious but the Walkabout XL is gonna be just fine.

List price on the Walkabout XL is close to $80 but Kniveplus have it on sale at $50. heck - may not be long before I really need it anyways It is as I write - on the way

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

(720 ILCS 5/33A‑1) (from Ch. 38, par. 33A‑1)

(c) Definitions.
    (1) "Armed with a dangerous weapon". A person is

considered armed with a dangerous weapon for purposes of this Article, when he or she carries on or about his or her person or is otherwise armed with a Category I, Category II, or Category III weapon.
    (2) A Category I weapon is a handgun, sawed‑off

shotgun, sawed‑off rifle, any other firearm small enough to be concealed upon the person, semiautomatic firearm, or machine gun. A Category II weapon is any other rifle, shotgun, spring gun, other firearm, stun gun or taser as defined in paragraph (a) of Section 24‑1 of this Code, knife with a blade of at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk, switchblade knife, stiletto, axe, hatchet, or other deadly or dangerous weapon or instrument of like character. As used in this subsection (b) "semiautomatic firearm" means a repeating firearm that utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round and that requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.
    (3) A Category III weapon is a bludgeon, black‑jack,

slungshot, sand‑bag, sand‑club, metal knuckles, billy, or other dangerous weapon of like character.

Actually here is the link in its entirety: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...ode+of+1961%2E

Just don't want you to be thrown in jail in IL. I am not for sure if the cane you are talking about qualifies, but might read over this law to see for yourself.
    Also for more consise info: http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/il.txt
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    --Thomas Paine December 19, 1776

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
    --Abraham Lincoln

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13226.htm

Chris-
    The cane, shorts, white socks, sandals - yes! Strike fear into the heart of BGs in IL!!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Assistant Administrator
    Many thx for feedback - just what I need to consider.

Of course the bottom line is - so many things [can be regarded as dangerous weapons!

The cane is, compared to many things, at least an ''everyday'' type of item. Seemingly, compared to many other borderline things - it seems to stand the best chance of passing acceptance.

I do stress - I am ''getting on'' in years - salt'n'pepper hair (what's left of it!) - and white beard. And funnin' aside, do have back problems that can make walking hurt so - I do feel less likely to seem ''odd' compared with a fit lookin' guy of 21!!

I just HATE to feel vulnerable to the point that all I have left as options is an aging frame that is not as nimble as it once was!
    Chris - P95

Assistant Administrator
    Bwhahahahahahaha -

John - bless you sir - you just made me splutter Mountain Dew!!
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    A good hardwood cane , not specifically made for defense might be a better option.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Bwhahahahahahaha -

John - bless you sir - you just made me splutter Mountain Dew!!

Always happy to help. Clears out the sinus cavities does'n it?
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Assistant Administrator
    A good hardwood cane , not specifically made for defense might be a better option
    Rocky - that's what this one is - made out of Ash .... purely as a walking stick. Just happens to have a useful knob for hand hold comfort!
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    Gotcha, though it was made as a defensive item.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    You may want to consider the Unbreakable Walking Stick Umbrella. It makes a great weapon, and it can go anywhere, even a plane!
    Check out the URL below. It shows the umbrella between 2 chairs, with someone standing on it at the middle. and it being used on a heavy bag.

http://www.real-self-defense.com/umbrella1.html

Assistant Administrator
    That is certainly another option to add to the list

Thank you.
    Chris - P95

Shovel handles are made of ash because it has good strength and flexability. I make walking sticks and canes out of shovel handles as well as other hardwoods. The walkabout will serve you well. After you get it, get some linseed oil, rub it on from end to end. Handle your stick daily, running your hands all over it. Take your stick out and walk with it, get used to carrying it, take it to Wally world. as a matter a fact take it everywhere you go, use it with both hands. then by the time you go to Illinois it will seem a part of you and no one will notice.

Member Array Optimistic Paranoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Rocky - that's what this one is - made out of Ash .... purely as a walking stick. Just happens to have a useful knob for hand hold comfort!
    There can be advantages to having one with the crook end on it. Check out CANEMASTERS

www.canemasters.com
    Regards
    John

Life Member - American Society of Armed Political Malcontents

Question Authority. Hang As Necessary!

In God I Trust. Everybody Else Keep Your Hands Where I Can See Them!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Paranoid View Post
    There can be advantages to having one with the crook end on it. Check out CANEMASTERS

www.canemasters.com
    you beat me to it...I would however suggest that when buying a Canemasters cane, get a plain one. The ones with "teeth" and the canemasters logo just kinda defeat the purpose of a "covert" weapon.

That said, I think the Cold Steel model would be just dandy.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Shovel handles are made of ash because it has good strength and flexability. I make walking sticks and canes out of shovel handles as well as other hardwoods. The walkabout will serve you well. After you get it, get some linseed oil, rub it on from end to end. Handle your stick daily, running your hands all over it. Take your stick out and walk with it, get used to carrying it, take it to Wally world. as a matter a fact take it everywhere you go, use it with both hands. then by the time you go to Illinois it will seem a part of you and no one will notice.

Got any pics? Mine's several years old and showing it's age with dings and finish cracks.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links