The Hissatsu

The Hissatsu

This is a discussion on The Hissatsu within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking up some articles related to the Hissatu fighting knife made by CRKT. What is the take on it from many people on ...

Thread: The Hissatsu

The Hissatsu

I've been looking up some articles related to the Hissatu fighting knife made by CRKT. What is the take on it from many people on this forum? Is it good or bad? Is the point so thin that it is prone to breakage? Sound away on your opinion of the CRKT Hissatu knife.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Administrator

pic

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I keep one beside the bedside gunsafe; Well made knife, and I would have no fear of breaking off the point in usual use. It also just looks bad!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

My Father in Law has one, it's a decent enough knife at the price he paid ($30 new). It is more plastic feeling than I like.
    They do a folder too, check on the AG Russell site.
    I don't like the folder as it has the AutoLawks feature. To me AutoLawks is unnecessary.

i own one, and aesthetically, it's a beautiful knife (i've been collecting knives for 20 years), but there are some things to consider if you're gonna buy it.

1. the sheath for it sucks. it has a habit of falling out the sheath if it takes a hard knock. also, it's impossible to position it comfortably on a belt, unless you buy a tek-lok for it. it seems like it was designed for pack or vest carry.

2. there's no practical way to conceal it. period.

3. it's design pretty much prohibits it from being EDC. face it, it was designed to be used for only one thing. if it's found during a traffic stop, you will not convince a judge you use it for fishing/hunting applications. you might as well be carrying a wakizashi.

as far as the tip goes, it's pretty sturdy. that's because the actual tip makes up half the blade length. i put it through a 7 ply maple skateboard, with only some scuffing on the blade. the osoraku zukuri blade profile was intended to be stabbed through an armored ribcage, and to be withdrawn easily. the handle is trumpeted like traditional tanto/aikuchi knives for a better grip without the need of a guard.

this knife was pretty much marketed for special forces use. the only guys who would carry this knife around while grocery shopping are cyberpiratemallninjas.

still, it is a pretty cool knife.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Looks like it may be able to take a fish apart fairly efficiently though.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

yeah, if you're fishing for shark. seriously, tho, it's way too thick to be good for filleting. maybe as boning knife in a meat plant?

Administrator
    It sure would not double as a camp knife.
    It looks very specialized toward its specific intended purpose.
    If the above is true that it's not well retained by its sheath then that is not good. Just my 2 cents.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Don't HAVE One, Have Looked Them Over...

It's certainly wicked-looking. For the singular purpose of knife fighting I'm confident it would be effective. But (from a practical point-of-view) my experience wouldn't allow the luxury of a knife that's so purposely exclusive. My knife is pressed into service for so many uses OTHER than fighting that the CRKT Hissatsu would be a cumbersome "extra" item.

For example, let's use the Cold Steel Recon Tanto. It's almost as effective as the Hissatsu as a fighting knife, but can also serve to dig, pry, chop, hammer & generally hack through the circumstances that unexpectedly (yet unavoidably) present themselves. Breaking tempered glass or cutting through sheet metal is going to be tough with a Hissatsu, but (while not the PERFECT tool) the Tanto can easily handle.

The Recon Tanto is only an example. The same issues apply to most well-constructed, rugged "tactical knives" (Bowie, Survival, etc.). I like the looks & design of the Hissatsu, but would never carry one in the field.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    It's certainly wicked-looking. For the singular purpose of knife fighting I'm confident it would be effective. But (from a practical point-of-view) my experience wouldn't allow the luxury of a knife that's so purposely exclusive. My knife is pressed into service for so many uses OTHER than fighting that the CRKT Hissatsu would be a cumbersome "extra" item.

For example, let's use the Cold Steel Recon Tanto. It's almost as effective as the Hissatsu as a fighting knife, but can also serve to dig, pry, chop, hammer & generally hack through the circumstances that unexpectedly (yet unavoidably) present themselves. Breaking tempered glass or cutting through sheet metal is going to be tough with a Hissatsu, but (while not the PERFECT tool) the Tanto can easily handle.

The Recon Tanto is only an example. The same issues apply to most well-constructed, rugged "tactical knives" (Bowie, Survival, etc.). I like the looks & design of the Hissatsu, but would never carry one in the field.

i totally agree. like i've said (elsewhere), i'm a steady knife collector. i've got a dozen or so different blades on display in my home, i carry a few, and have quite a bit that stay in 'the drawer'. the hissatsu is on a stand on my desk. if i were to carry a large fixed blade with me annnywhere, it'd most definitely be my mini-gurkha from cold steel. i bought one when they were first released, and i've used it for every use conceivable: prying, chopping wood, digging, fending off a dog, food prepping, hammering, smashing ice (in my gutters)....the list goes on quite a bit. it's spent the last 3 years sitting comfortably next to me in my van, and no LEO has ever given it a 2nd look, since it's just a 'camp' tool.

if you're looking for a large fighter, you definitely can't go wrong with this knife. other options i would recommend:

cold steel -
    recon tanto
    srk
    trail master
    recon scout
    any one of their kukris

becker-
    brute
    companion

or just a good ole fashoined ka-bar.

there's a million options out there; shop patiently.

OH MY GAWWWWD! YOU'LL PUT YOUR EYE OUT!!!!

Machetesanddaggersandhissatusus,oh my!

To Hissatsu, or not to Hissatsu, THAT is the Question.

I have to agree with Phil, the Hissatsu is big, and the factory belt clip sucks. And yes it wont pass as a leatherman tool on your belt. But for me and my personal circumstances, it works pretty good. Im a full time LEO, and I carry it as what I like to call my "Left handed Knife". Phil's right , it wont ride very well in a vertical position, I carry mine between my gunbelt and my trouser belt, angled handle forward, blade edge down for a reverse grip. It blends in well between the magazine pouches and my BDU's, and is mostly unnoticed until its drawn. It works well with all the FMA ive been taught. At $30 from Smokey Mountain Knifeworks, I cant complain about the price, its cheap enougth that if I lose/break it, replacement no big deal, I have a spare hidden in the closet.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my Dog"

i think if i ever saw a LEO carrying a hissatsu, i'd faint!

New Member Array naturalbornjoker's Avatar
    tactical filet knife for the retrograde pirate. put that baby in H1 with full serrations!

Links