My brother's knives

This is a discussion on My brother's knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Those that know me know my brother who was a hunter past away in '09. Since Dad died this past April mom has been going ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By Sister
  • 1 Post By kc5cychris
  • 2 Post By Jaeger
  • 2 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy
  • 1 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy
  • 1 Post By Fizban
  • 1 Post By drift

Thread: My brother's knives

My brother's knives

Those that know me know my brother who was a hunter past away in '09. Since Dad died this past April mom has been going through his things and gave me my brothers knives. The pistol that is old and a bit broken was my Dad's that was passed down from a great-grandfather if I remember correctly and the really old shaving knife with the rectangle box was my grandfathers that passed in '70, he would have been over a hundred now.

The black handle knife has a compass at the end.

Most of this stuff will go to my brothers 4 grandchildren when they are grown and mature, 2 boys and 2 girls ~ sadly he only got to meet one.

DSCN0717.JPGDSCN0720.JPG

United Daughters of the Confederacy member
    UDC

American by birth
    Christian by choice
    Southern by the grace of God

I had a knife like the black one with the compass in the 70's carried in the woods and camping as a teenager. nice collection
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    U.S. Army retired 21 years
    NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Those that know me know my brother who was a hunter past away in '09. Since Dad died this past April mom has been going through his things and gave me my brothers knives. The pistol that is old and a bit broken was my Dad's that was passed down from a great-grandfather if I remember correctly and the really old shaving knife with the rectangle box was my grandfathers that passed in '70, he would have been over a hundred now.

The black handle knife has a compass at the end.

Most of this stuff will go to my brothers 4 grandchildren when they are grown and mature, 2 boys and 2 girls ~ sadly he only got to meet one.

DSCN0717.JPGDSCN0720.JPG
    The "knife" on the right looks suspiciously like a telescope.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    That's a spy-glass lubber.
    gen3 and Recon1342 like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

interesting Sis,

The Bolo style knife on the far left must be some sort of vintage military knife as it has ALICE style mounting clips. the metal bent wire tabs on the top of the sheath. though I'm not familiar with what it is particularly. I never knew the military used a bolo-style knife. perhaps some of our vets know what it is?

the straight razor is always an instant classic - super good bonus it still has the box.

the early percussion pistol is interesting as well, it's not a flintlock conversion, and it's not very ornate - I can't quite place it. a hunter would have little use for a handgun, I see no military or naval markings, it's not a dueling pistol (usually they're ornate) - I'd be curious to know it's history.

the brass telescope is a very neat piece!! and the pair does make me wonder if the pistol is a naval piece....???

I much like the shape of the little skinning knife in the middle. looks to be of good uality, I can't make out the markings on it, what does it say? it has what looks like a good leather sheath...

Unfortunately the black survival knife is a mass produced pretty low quality unit. the sheath is thin vinyl, the knife barely worth the material it's made out of. Not trying to knock your late bro, it has value if it's valuable to your family, but it's pretty out of place with the rest of the collection. just providing info. they were cheap Chinese knock-offs in the 80's... and judging by the condition of the sheath (like new) your bro never used it, probably because he knew any use and it would be junk.

I would consider trying to get a new leather wrap handle put on the telescope, and perhaps a new stock made for the pistol (keep the old one though)

some metal polish and a couple hours of elbow gease and the telescope will really shine.

Looks like the handle of the military bolo knife is damaged as well, if it's a broken rivet, that's an easy fix, and the hilt could be de-scaled and repainted then as well. if it has a broken handle scale then a new one would have to be sourced or made.

ebay or google should scare up examples of the straight razor so you can investigate the history and value of it.

Same with the skinning knife since it appears to have some marks on the blade.
    "If it's worth shooting once, it's worth shooting - how many times was that?"

"You cannot control the Enemy. You can control yourself. The Victory lies within."

Neat!
    Velocity is temporary, mass is forever...

Distinguished Member Array Fizban's Avatar
    yeah that bolo looks like the British and US issue from around 1920. The skinning knife looks like an Othello (German) and the Black Rambo knife looks like a $10 mass production knife from the 80's
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kc5cychris View Post
    I had a knife like the black one with the compass in the 70's carried in the woods and camping as a teenager. nice collection
    I pretty sure that if you grew up in the 70's or 80's owning one of those cheap hollow handle "survival" knives was some kind of a requirement.
    Badey and joker1 like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Speaking of that hollow handle survival knife...This guy does a really funny video on it...

welder516 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array Fizban's Avatar
    I have seen a couple of his vids.. he seems like a pretty kool dude and its funny that his neighbor always seems to crank up the lawnmower every time he trys to make a video in his backyard. LOL
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Distinguished Member Array drift's Avatar
    The razor looks like it's a "4/8" - maybe a 5/8, I can't tell from the photo. 4/8's aren't as popular as bigger blades, though I prefer them.

I note from the coffin (box), if that's the original coffin, it's from an American distributer. If it was made in America, it might have some value as not many actually were made here - rather they were shipped in and re-branded.

The scales (handles) are classic "utilitary" grade, and in remarkably good shape. Not that the scales matter really - it's all about the steel and from what I can tell, it was used correctly. The honer didn't destroy the spine - I could hone that thing up and shave with it in less than a half hour.

If it says Sheffield, England. Soligen Germany or Sweden on the handle, it'll be a smooth shave.

I recommend you learn how to use it and continue the tradition. Straight razor shaving is one of life's pleasures!!

Sorry for your loss.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links