ESEE and Why I Like TKC Scales

ESEE and Why I Like TKC Scales

This is a discussion on ESEE and Why I Like TKC Scales within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the years I have had some terrible knives, absolute junk, then again I've also had some really nice knives that many people would be ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: ESEE and Why I Like TKC Scales

Thumbs up ESEE and Why I Like TKC Scales

Over the years I have had some terrible knives, absolute junk, then again I've also had some really nice knives that many people would be proud to own, my ESEE 3 is my favorite knife that has ever lay in my hand. Quality of build and materials, usability, and a lifetime no questions asked warranty don't hurt either. Likely soon I will have to order a few more in addition to the two I already have and the ESEE 4 and Izula II, no there's nothing wrong with them, I just like them that much.

ESEE makes a fine blade with a top quality and versatile sheath for a more than reasonable price(@ $100 +/-). I customize mine by adding G10 replacement scales which transform the ESEE blades into a much more individualized tool that inspires confidence when using it for defense or utility.

Some people like the micarta that comes on the knives from the factory, but the G10 is less porous, less prone to stains, grippier texture, fits the hand better, are safer, and even look better. The scales offered by TKC enhance the entire grip starting with the front guard to keep your fingers from sliding onto the blade, it has a swell in the middle to better fit into the palm, and an enhanced rear guard to prevent the knife from slipping from your hand when drawing. This translates into a safer and more controllable blade which is a lot better than chasing it or your work all over the place.

I will admit to being a little hesitant about paying about $50 the first time, but I'm telling you that these scales complete the package on your ESEE and you will appreciate the difference immediately. I'm hooked, both ESEE and TKC have a customer for life.

My DC Brethren:
    I have the inside scoop that they will be offering an additional design very soon.
    Stay Tuned.........

https://www.theknifeconnection.net/tkc-g10-handles/
    Last edited by Wasp; November 13th, 2015 at 03:00 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Btw, if you have a Becker they have you covered as well.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nice pics.

Thanks.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Caertaker's Avatar
    I couldn't have said it better myself (and obviously I couldn't take pictures that nice). The Knife Company rocks! Here's my Izula sporting a set of midnight tiger scales.
    ESEE and Why I Like TKC Scales-img_1017.jpg
    Eric357 and Wasp like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

I bookmarked them in case I want to jazz up one of my Esees.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    Btw, if you have a Becker they have you covered as well.
    I'll stick with my Beckers, used to like EESE until I tried my first Becker.
    Wasp likes this.
    Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Administrator
    I will probably be picking up an ESEE-4 (plain edge) for my nephew.

Great knives. Nice handles you got there.

Use it in good health.
    Eric357, AZJD1968 and Wasp like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Great post Wasp.

I'll add one thing...

The scales also add just a little bit of length to the grip area which, for me, is a huge improvement over the factory scales.

Here is my 4 before:

Here is it with the TKC scales:

Eric357 and Wasp like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Moving to a new location

Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    I'll stick with my Beckers, used to like EESE until I tried my first Becker.
    We understand if you aren't cool enough to hang. It's okay.
    1MoreGoodGuy and AZJD1968 like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

How does it do holding an edge.Next thing how hard is the blade to sharpen.I ask as I run into a couple knives which were a bear to put a good edge on them.
    Wasp likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I have nothing but good things to say about my Izula. I keep meaning to pick up and ESEE-3 or 4, but haven't made up my mind on which one I want yet, but I am leaning towards the 4.
    Wasp likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

First of all, they come with an excellent edge to begin with, I still put them on a smooth Arkansas Stone to make them just that much better, but yessir they are sharp. It holds an edge pretty good, unless you are really working it, really really, then it should do well for you. If you don't work the blade down to butter knife likeness then It's extremly easy to put an edge back on it. I don't let it get to far and I go five strokes +/- on a medium and then right back to the Arkansas Stone.
    The one I carry EDC has beed sharpened over half a dozen times with touch ups on the A-stone in between and I can't tell a noticable difference in wear from the new one in the picture above. It's some good steel to be sure.

I will say tgat I had an ESEE 5 and I couldnt stand the grind on it and there was no changing it since it was part of the design, I sold it for $10+ what I bought it for, all the rest seem great. The ESEE 4 is the exact same as the 3 ...just larger and a slightly thicker blade. I love my 4, but the scales of the 3 just fills the hand and the blade is about perfect for every day tasks, defense, or even survival and camping if called upon. The Izula II is great if you want to cary something concealed that will remain unobtrusive, likely the perfect EDC for people who want a pretty small blade, works great behind the belt or pocket carry.
    All of them fill a role, and yes I prefer scales on all but the Izula II, but I may eventually get some for one of those if I get another one.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    How does it do holding an edge.Next thing how hard is the blade to sharpen.I ask as I run into a couple knives which were a bear to put a good edge on them.
    The ESEE knives hold an edge very well and are fairly easy to sharpen. You can also maintain the edge with a strop and keep them very sharp with little effort. They are made from 1095 steel and the folks at Rowen Mfg. have the heat treat down to a science. The entire line of knifes are incredibly durable. I like them so much that I have about 20 of them.

Here are a couple more

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links