Legit info about Mick Strider?

This is a discussion on Legit info about Mick Strider? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i was looking at cold steel's catalog, and read this: http://csstoreonline.stores.yahoo.net/strider-doc.html ...at first i thought it was one more of lynn's publicity stunts, but it ...

Thread: Legit info about Mick Strider?

i was looking at cold steel's catalog, and read this:

http://csstoreonline.stores.yahoo.net/strider-doc.html

...at first i thought it was one more of lynn's publicity stunts, but it seems legit! anyone else hear about this? sorry about the length of this post, but i couldn't get the link to work.
    Last edited by Team American; March 24th, 2007 at 02:49 PM. Reason: link goes to the article...trimmed the bulk away

VIP Member
    After release from prison in 1998, Mick Strider started Strider Knives.
    Following Mick Striderís release from prison, he builds a reputation that his products are based on Special Operations and combat experience. Numerous magazine articles are written alleging to this experience and how it makes his product a better choice.
    Mick Strider makes numerous statements online that his is a combat veteran, and makes references to carrying and using firearms, despite revelations that he is, in fact a convicted felon.
    Current collaborations with other businesses list Mick Strider as former Special Operations personnel.
    I leave it up to the individual reading this to draw their own conclusions about this matter, and the inconsistencies between Mick Striders self related history, what has been published, and what is listed in court documents.
    I've changed the title of your thread, jahwarrior...

This is pretty damning info if true...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

thanks...

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Holly cow. I hadn't heard about this mess before. I few things I know, you dont get reduced in pay for getting injured, unless you personally cause the injury by being stupid. WOW. Thats a very interesting read. Oh since when does a federal prosecutor agree to a sentence back into the military as a private for a year with no pay? Sorry that dont wash. I know black ops guys who were in Samolia and none of them have heard about him being there. Interesting.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

it's well documented in the blade community he's nothing more than a fake who has no respect for our service members

Quote Originally Posted by tapout1003 View Post
    it's well documented in the blade community he's nothing more than a fake who has no respect for our service members
    Lynn, or Strider? Both are overblown, both push marketings edge, though in different ways.

Strider (and no one seems to have had the interest for a FOIA move) may or may not have been in the Rangers. Not Honorably discharged. He was in prison, served his time. He does have signed purchase orders from DOD- no BS there. Makes sturdy, good blades, but not quite worth what he asks, IMHO. I do have a Strider ground HAK- beautiful and hardworking piece of gear.

LT , in the past 10-12 years is more of a knock-off artist, and suit-prone knotty-panties than innovator. Again, my opinion. I have a few of his Voyagers- excellent product, for the money. But, given his suit against Busse, his politico flip-flop on the Karambit design, and over-priced, less than ideal, copies of the Spydie Civilian, Emerson right-authorized Wave and a few others I don't look to him for quality innovation. Certainly nothing like the Tanto Revolution he single-handedly created in the 80s. I'll buy what works, but if his lips are moving it smells warm & stinky.

Both guys have some issues, both offer some solid gear, if you know how to gauge what you're after.

FYI: This is by the way, some pretty old news. There are some interesting characters in the knife world. Mad Dog washed on a purchase order for either an Army EOD unit, or a Navy purchase, interestingly enough. Look around enough, you'll find stuff on most anyone.
    Last edited by Rob72; April 5th, 2007 at 05:36 PM.

VIP Member
    Strider was a Ranger, just not exactly the "Blackhawk Down" kind. Honorably discharged.
    Few of us would agree that 60 days in the Regiment really qualifies you as a Ranger, at least in the spirit of the term. The "gentleman's agreement" is that you'll give the 75th two years of service, although - since it is an all-volunteer unit - you can quit anytime.

On reading through the OP, it sounds like Strider got through RIP (which isn't that difficult) then got to Battalion, found out that the easiest day as a Private in Bn is harder then the hardest day of RIP, complained and got a change of Company, still couldn't hack it, went AWOL, came back, got kicked out of Bn, then was discharged under less than honorable circumstances (hence the reduction to E-1 and bar to re-enlistment)... Not exactly a stellar career in special ops...

I can't comment on his products, but it certainly appears that he is a compulsive liar, and his false claims of having been to combat are a real kick in the teeth to all who actually have...And it really stinks that he claims my Bn and Company...lol
    Last edited by OPFOR; April 5th, 2007 at 06:09 PM.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

That's the first I've heard of this. I can only imagine what would happen if the guys who are the real deal could get him alone for a while. I had my eye on an SnG framelock but that won't be happening now - definitely appreciate the heads up. Quality knives or not, I refuse to support this kind of fraud.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Few of us would agree that 60 days in the Regiment really qualifies you as a Ranger, at least in the spirit of the term.
    Typos- you got me in EDIT! I saved the scan of the judgement.....someplace. IIRC, his DC was actually "Other than honorable", or something similar(?)

kpw
    I can tolerate a man that makes mistakes in his life. Most of us have to some degree, although probably not criminal in nature. I can do business with the same man if he's upfront and honest about it. I could not do so with a man that lies about his service and his criminal past to make money off the men and women that serve our country.
    His products are good, albeit a little overpriced. They probably could have succeeded without him deceiving everyone. At this point, I wouldn't care how good they are.

i wont buy a strider....i don't care if they had the best knife in the world....i won't put more money in his pocket....for me it's all about respect

VIP Member
    Yeah, I wouldn't buy a bucket of water from this guy if I were on fire, at this point. I can abide a bit of exaggeration in advertising, but this is way, way, way too much.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I'd buy a SOG over a Strider now, and you know what I think about SOG.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    Yup....Strider is on my "no buy list" now.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Sponsored Links