Kerambits bite hard and fast

This is a discussion on Kerambits bite hard and fast within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a picture of my left hand that took a quick hit as the blade of the folding Kerambit passed by doing high speed dual ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sponsor

Here's a picture of my left hand that took a quick hit as the blade of the folding Kerambit passed by doing high speed dual hand flow drills the other night.

Notice in the closeup photo, how the cut is not straight, but arcing in two directions as the blade passed through in the flow drill on it's way to it's target.

It happened at 9:30pm Friday night. Instead of waiting at an emergency room for several hours to get stitched, I had a medical friend of mine bring his suture kit to the house and he sowed me up at the kitchen table. Three nerve block shots below the thumb, shots to and into the wound channel, and he was gone in an hour. It bit pretty deep, didn't want to stop bleeding, and nicked a tendon, cut a bleeder, but all in all, it will be back to normal with no permanent damage or loss of function.

I got lucky, as unlucky as it was to happen

Now, I can hear some saying, IDIOT, for using a live blade to train speed flow drills, let alone any training with a live blade to begin with, or some such.

Let me just make one thing clear to those with that thought process:

You need to have the confidence to use the tools you carry in the manner in which you train to use them. If you are serious about training for the real fight, use the tools you'll be using to train.

Ya, it's dangerous practice, obviously, as the photo shows here. Lots of things are dangerous, it's no reason that as your levels of skills increases, and the drills are down pat from years of training them till they are subconscious, that you should be afraid to use the tool you carry for SD in the manner you may need to use it on the streets should you need it.

I'll not stop practicing with the live blades due to this setback in the future. Moving them around your person dynamically is good at keeping you honest with your skills level and what you are potentially looking at should it happen in the real world.

Brownie
    Attached Images
    Last edited by AzQkr; March 26th, 2007 at 09:21 PM.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    All I can say - is OUCH!

I'll leave live blade work to you Brownie
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

ouch! hope that heals up well. i agreee with you, tho, on live weapon training. one can only use training/dummy blades for so long; it's important to develop confidence with a live weapon, whether it's a knife, sword, or gun.

btw, what 'rambit do you carry. i have the a couple of different ones, the latest being the mantis model. i've been trying to find one of tarani's folders for a few months now, with no luck.

keep practicing!

Sponsor
    jahwarrior72;

It was the Tarani Journeyman model folder. I've heard they are not being made anymore by Tim Wegner of Blade-tech but that has not been confirmed positively.

P95Carry:

Just a little [ as we call em ], OWEEE.

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; March 26th, 2007 at 11:58 PM.

You know how lucky you were as you mention that there was no lasting damage.
    My wife suffered a bagel cut, typically a self-inflicted wound on the left thumb tendon. Instead of a slice she had a stab, she had to have corrective surgery to rejoin the nerves, which didn't fully work, and hasn't regained full sensitivity.
    We always go out for breakfast on the weekends now, that situation does not need to be repeated.

Hope it heals well.

Lead Moderator
    Lucky. i cut a tendon in my thumb. it has left me with about 70% loss of movement of the end digit .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Wasn't your gun hand, was it?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Sponsor
    0.02;

I understand that scenario. I chopped my index finger with a hatchet back in 77-78 and cut the nerve and tendon in the process. No feeling a the wound site for years [ the nerve damage ], and it still can't be closed to the palm completely after all these years.

rocky,

Not a good scenario, I worked my index finger hard in therapy to get it back to where it is today.

p8riot;

It is the left hand thats injured, I shoot mostly right handed but I'm ambi dextrous for the most part. I could have easily been holding the blade in the left hand though, as I work double knives often. Again, just out of sheer luck, I was practicing with the K instead of two straights.

Brownie

Administrator

Wink AzQkr

I am super disappointed in you.

From now on when you cut yourself....you stitch yourself up.

No more of this "wimping out" and calling a friend to sew you up.

If anybody on this forum has extra bullets laying around...it's you.

So next time grab a needle and some thread - bite a bullet - and sew.

Now get the knife back out...deftly use it to remove those stitches...and replace them with yer own.

Sponsor
    QKShooter;

LMAO at your thoughts on this one. It was bad enough having to call the bud over to do the sewing as it was, but my wife would have been even more beside herself if I had told her to go get the thread and needle, trust me on that one.

As it was, her attitude after seeing what I did was: She didn't say much, but what was said was succcinct.

Brownie

I've had a few of those "oops...Ouch" moments here and there. Glad this one wasn't worse for ya.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Looks pretty rough Brownie, glad to hear it wasn't worse though. If you work with knives it's not a question of if you'll get cut but when and how badly. I sunk a double edged boot knife into the back of my left hand about 3/4" below the bottom joint of my thumb a few years ago. Only needed 5 stitches though - the bone stopped the tip from going any deeper. Definitely an attention getter, ain't it?!
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I am super disappointed in you.

From now on when you cut yourself....you stitch yourself up.

No more of this "wimping out" and calling a friend to sew you up.

If anybody on this forum has extra bullets laying around...it's you.

So next time grab a needle and some thread - bite a bullet - and sew.

Now get the knife back out...deftly use it to remove those stitches...and replace them with yer own.
    Yeah, like when I had my vasectomy done by a friend who is a special forces medic. A few hits of "Old Grandad", and we did it in his bathroom. No swelling either, absolutely amazing. That was three years ago and I haven't had any complications at all.

I suppose you would say if I was real man I'd have done it myself.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Yeah, like when I had my vasectomy done by a friend who is a special forces medic. A few hits of "Old Grandad", and we did it in his bathroom. No swelling either, absolutely amazing. That was three years ago and I haven't had any complications at all.

I suppose you would say if I was real man I'd have done it myself.
    Having had that procedure myself all I can add is that your friend now knows you very intimately.
    I did get the swells by the way, my doctor had a cold and I was infected with those germs. A few days of walking like a crab and I had to get antibiotics.

You're not alone in live edge work. Used to to Iaido drills with a "live" antique katana. Also used "live" kama and that's the one that got me one time! I was doing a kama drill in the dark, a great way to practice control but I did have that one whoops. Never got myself with a knife, yet, and mine will all shave hair. How else to keep a blade?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links