Good Bowie Knives

Good Bowie Knives

This is a discussion on Good Bowie Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In looking for a good fighting bowie for my collection. I've been looking at Bagwell's style of bowies, preferring the shorter of his styles, but ...

Thread: Good Bowie Knives

Good Bowie Knives

In looking for a good fighting bowie for my collection. I've been looking at Bagwell's style of bowies, preferring the shorter of his styles, but MAN are they expensive. What are some good bowie knife manufacturers? Anything in the 200- range is good.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

The Plowshare Forge should be able to help you out:
    http://homepage.mac.com/dbrock76/Menu8.html
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

check out www.coldsteel.com, they have a couple of bowie style knives worth looking at.

Sponsor
    Risque007

Try this one if you want a Bagwell for around two hundred.

http://www.thebladeshop.com/browseproducts/Ontario-BB4-Hell's-Belle-Bowie.html

The Ontarios are autorized by Bill [ Bagwell ] and are superb for the price point in a fighting bowie. A fighter needs to be light, fast in the hand and easy to redirect in attack/defense angles. These Ontarios fairly duplicate Bill work as much as a commercial knife can.

There are few commercially sold "fighters" that are truly fast enough once the skills level of the user are in enough quantity to feel the subtle differences betwen those that are just fair and those that excel at the objective.

In reality, they are no Bagwell Hells Belle. I've had three of Bills Belles, down to one in damascus presently that sports an 11 1/8" blade and you would not think there was a piece of steel at the end of the handle on his blades. Thats not duplicated by many custom makers, let alone any commercial long knives that I've ever seen.

The Ontario is not as sharp as I like NIB, but they can be brought to a decent edge, though I do not like the 440a steel they use at all. Might be something for you to check out though as the price point is about right and the balance/feel is as close as you might find in that price range of a Bagwell fighter.

For a smallish type clip point thats rugged as hell, take a look at this one.

http://www.coldsteel.com/38ck.html They come razor blade sharp, scary sharp and are light in the hand, you might like this. I have two of them, one on my search pack at all times due to weight and being capable of holding an edge superbly in the field.

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; March 31st, 2007 at 02:09 AM.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Links