Taser For Fiancee? - Page 2

Taser For Fiancee?

This is a discussion on Taser For Fiancee? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO The Taser is not what everyone thinks it is. I have about 15 deployments of the x26 now, and I am ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The Taser is not what everyone thinks it is. I have about 15 deployments of the x26 now, and I am a Taser cert. instructor.
    You need to have a lot more than just the Taser to be effective and to keep it from being used against you.
    I think its a bad idea to market these to the public.

Go with a foaming pepper spray instead.
    There’s a Burnsville Minnesota Police chief that went on the record in the media stating that he wants them banned from civilian use because his poor officers safety is more important than the public's ability to protect themselves.

Burnsville is a low crime suburb. I happen to live in a high crime part of Minneapolis where violent crime and drive bys are all too common. This is a neighborhood where cops are the cleanup crew not a deterrent. Is this your honest opinion or the LEO in you being protective of other LEO?

I was car jacked at knife point when I was 18. Fortunately the guy only wanted (don't laugh) Burger King because he blew his welfare check on drugs and feared what his wife would do. I bought the guy's family Burger King and made it out safe and sound. Sadly the police didn't even want to show up to file the report telling me that it was unlikely they would ever find the guy.

I can speak from experience that when you become a victim you can see it coming and still not be able to do a damn thing about it. It happens fast and it happens against your will. It's better to have something on you than nothing at all. What difference does it make if what you have has the potential to be used against you when they have the same weaponry or better? They're not looking for a weapon from their victim to upgrade their arsenal, they come prepared and ready to hurt you. And as usual bans wont stop criminals from obtaining and using a banned weapon.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I just became certified the other day. We should be getting them at our department soon. I just ordered a Safariland SLS drop leg for my support side.

My class was in NY. Just a instructor cert class, not armorer. Too bad the recert class is another full two days. I think it should be one.

Hey Sixto, did you volunteer to get tased?
    They only offer the armorer class in Scottsdale, thats 90% of the reason I want to go.

I did not get tased this time around, but I have been tased a few times before, both in a controlled setting and on the street during a fight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebrius View Post
    Is this your honest opinion or the LEO in you being protective of other LEO?
    No, its my honest opinion. Heres the main points why;

The Taser is not an easy tool to use. It takes skill, and often more skill than a firearm.

You have one chance to use it, if it fails you need to move on to another tactic or tool. To many people, officers included rely far to much on one tool.

People do not view the taser as a weapon so they will not train with it. It is expensive to shoot a Taser cartridge. ($25. a shot) Its hard enough to get people to practice with a gun.

The Taser only stops the BG for a brief time. After the Taser cycles, BG is fine, back to normal. Now what are you going to do? LEO's have different tactics and techniques, none of which I'm going to get into here.

I'm not worried about LEO's with everybody being able to have a Taser. I think anyone should be able to have one if thats what they want... But people dont understand what the Taser is and isnt, and Taser doesnt explain all this; they want to sell products.
    Besides, if a BG wants a weapon he's not going to spend $300. on a Taser, and go through a backround check to get it. Its much easier and cheaper to get a gun. Bullets dont cost $25. each too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links