Taser For Fiancee?

Taser For Fiancee?

This is a discussion on Taser For Fiancee? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search on this but didnt find any current results and was curious if opinions had changed in the past year. My fiancee ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taser For Fiancee?

Taser For Fiancee?

I did a search on this but didnt find any current results and was curious if opinions had changed in the past year.
    My fiancee is anti carry she dosnt mind shooting at the range but she dosnt want to carry, she dosnt mind me carrying but she just isnt into it. My question is has anyone had any experience with these and how is their performance. I understand its a one shot deal but the model i'm looking at has a 30 second jolt and she can atleast pop'em and run like the wind
    I brought this idea up to her and she was much more receptive anybody out there got some advice?

Administrator
    The Taser is not what everyone thinks it is. I have about 15 deployments of the x26 now, and I am a Taser cert. instructor.
    You need to have a lot more than just the Taser to be effective and to keep it from being used against you.
    I think its a bad idea to market these to the public.

Go with a foaming pepper spray instead.
    "Just blame Sixto"

We tried that. She is incapable of figuring out wind direction and has caught backspray mist twice of the 2 times she has had to use her Pepper Spray now she is scared of it.. Anymore ideas I am totally open to suggestion Hey Sixto does the foam have backspray capabilities?

custom, nothing is foolproof. Foam is much better than spray, in not coming back. But. I've heard from a couple of officers (and I believe at least one person here) that they have seen more than 1 BG wipe the stuff off his face, and continue the charge.

$200-400 on a decent self-defense class (Marc Denny, SouthNarc, Suarez, RBFC, or similar) just teaching combative fundamentals, and showing her how much force she has (and how much a modestly determined role-playing attacker has) is worth more than a truckload of OC or a case of Tasers. Take a 7 day vacation, spend 2-3 in a class.........

Administrator
    Yes, not all bad guys will be stopped by oc or cs.
    "Just blame Sixto"

+1 on the self defense classes. OC spray may or may not work.

I also am a certified Taser instructor and that is not 100%. The first time I got tased the second prong did not attach properly and I barely felt anything. The second hit was MUCH more effective. It is an excellent weapon, but I agree with Sixto, it is a bad idea to market them to the public.

Any type of self defense weapon must be practiced with and I believe that anyone who carries a weapon should be able to retain it and have "some" type of knowledge in hand to hand or self defense.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    +1 on the self defense classes. OC spray may or may not work.

I also am a certified Taser instructor and that is not 100%. The first time I got tased the second prong did not attach properly and I barely felt anything. The second hit was MUCH more effective. It is an excellent weapon, but I agree with Sixto, it is a bad idea to market them to the public.

Any type of self defense weapon must be practiced with and I believe that anyone who carries a weapon should be able to retain it and have "some" type of knowledge in hand to hand or self defense.

I just did my recert. for past two days, I'm glad I'm done for another two years. Have you done the armorers course in AZ? I'm thinking about doing that, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just had a thought. We all know the deterrent effect of a handgun. While many think that your gun shouldn't be seen until its-a-blazin, there have been many documented cases of BG's having a change of heart when they know there is one around-not aways even unholstered.

I haven't seen it, but understand the model you speak of looks like a gun (basically).

If she won't carry OC or a pistol, then get her the taser and a holster. If approached, she could just lift her shirt enough to shown the handgrip. If he doesn't back off, then use it. It beats the heck out of calling 911, or trying tocarry a cop.

Whatever she carries, it is no substitute for alertness and avoiding stuff thaat doesn't "feel right."
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Just had a thought. We all know the deterrent effect of a handgun. While many think that your gun shouldn't be seen until its-a-blazin, there have been many documented cases of BG's having a change of heart when they know there is one around-not aways even unholstered.

I haven't seen it, but understand the model you speak of looks like a gun (basically).

If she won't carry OC or a pistol, then get her the taser and a holster. If approached, she could just lift her shirt enough to shown the handgrip. If he doesn't back off, then use it. It beats the heck out of calling 911, or trying tocarry a cop.

Whatever she carries, it is no substitute for alertness and avoiding stuff thaat doesn't "feel right."
    Posturing (showing the grip of whtever) can quite easily get you shot or worse. Several years ago, a friend (weightlifter, wrestler) braced a guy in a Burgerking. The BG was hasseliing the waitress. My friend kept "talking" until the guy left. The BG started the exchange again, a few minutes later in the parkinglot, eventually drawing a .357. My friend said he remembers the BG going between his legs and his face- the BG decided on a leg. Missed his femoral by 1/2", all because my friend pushed a dope dealer to, "settle it like a man....."

In this instance, I agree with the idea that a weapon is more dangerous to an uncommitted wielder.,

Situational awareness is wht she needs to learn. It's going into the BG's territory or being out and about at the wrong time which will get you in trouble 90% of the time. People who get beaten in barrooms wouldnt be in the ER if they'd been home watching Antiques Roadshow.

My girlfriend warded off a male attacker with a sap... perhaps that'd be more to her liking?
    PAX IN BELLO

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Nope, it looks like the original air taser; which looks like a flashlight.
    They even took a page from the cell phone playbook and are offering colored cases, yes, pink is the hot seller.
    "Just blame Sixto"

my advice is to have her log on here, read different posts, interact with members, and learn more about carrying. that might swing her around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Posturing (showing the grip of whtever) can quite easily get you shot or worse. Several years ago, a friend (weightlifter, wrestler) braced a guy in a Burgerking. The BG was hasseliing the waitress. My friend kept "talking" until the guy left. The BG started the exchange again, a few minutes later in the parkinglot, eventually drawing a .357. My friend said he remembers the BG going between his legs and his face- the BG decided on a leg. Missed his femoral by 1/2", all because my friend pushed a dope dealer to, "settle it like a man....."

In this instance, I agree with the idea that a weapon is more dangerous to an uncommitted wielder.,

In many cases, I agree. But every situation is sifferent. I'm not thinking that this young lady would be confrontational with anybody. I'm thinking more along the lines of her deterring someone who has already decided to do her harm. If they've got a gun, shes helpless whether she carries a taser, or OC, or nothing at all. I wouldn't suggest she be non-committal at all, but then, I can think of times where I would draw and be prepared to fire, but not yet pull the trigger. Believe me, I am NOT non-commital.

Quote Originally Posted by disko View Post
    Situational awareness is wht she needs to learn. It's going into the BG's territory or being out and about at the wrong time which will get you in trouble 90% of the time. People who get beaten in barrooms wouldnt be in the ER if they'd been home watching Antiques Roadshow.

My girlfriend warded off a male attacker with a sap... perhaps that'd be more to her liking?

Situanional awareness is of course a must, but noone can avoid every threat. The elderly couple victimized by home invaders might have been safer that night if they were at the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Nope, it looks like the original air taser; which looks like a flashlight.
    They even took a page from the cell phone playbook and are offering colored cases, yes, pink is the hot seller.
    Oh. Thanks for the correction, I withdraw my earlier "thinking-out-loud" idea. I'm always full of ideas, sooner or later one of them has to be a good one.

I stand by my above statements/opinions
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Here they are for those who are wondering... http://www.taser.com/self_defense/index.htm
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I just did my recert. for past two days, I'm glad I'm done for another two years. Have you done the armorers course in AZ? I'm thinking about doing that, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it.
    I just became certified the other day. We should be getting them at our department soon. I just ordered a Safariland SLS drop leg for my support side.

My class was in NY. Just a instructor cert class, not armorer. Too bad the recert class is another full two days. I think it should be one.

Hey Sixto, did you volunteer to get tased?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links