just ordered an emerson karambit/self defense ?'s

This is a discussion on just ordered an emerson karambit/self defense ?'s within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; been lurking on here for quite awhile now. new to LE, just recently off FTO...how many ppl around here actually consider their knife a secondary? ...

Thread: just ordered an emerson karambit/self defense ?'s

been lurking on here for quite awhile now. new to LE, just recently off FTO...how many ppl around here actually consider their knife a secondary? i was introduced to the emerson by one of the range masters at my academy, im not a tactical geek per se, but i live and work to go home and see my girl at the end of my shift. several recent incidents on duty have peaked my interest in carrying a knife for self defense. i know emerson has a self defense DVD...what other programs are regarded as top notch as far as hand to hand/knife combat? I'm only 5'9" 145 lbs, and am fully aware most adults could take me if they got the drop on me and id like learn more about knife combat...thanks.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I've always carried a knfe, or 2, or 3, especially on patrol. Since you're new to Police, although I'm not trying to change the subject...do you carry a back-up gun?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I agree with cockedlocked01....do a backup gun and knives. Typically when I was uniformed I had two pistols and two knives, one of which was an Emerson.

Emerson does have an outstanding DVD and his personal taught courses are even better. Drop him and email and see when he might be in your area or heck you can set up the course yourself and its not all that pricy per officer if you do. His training is very practical and street orientated.

Congrats on your krambit and I hope you like it as much as I do my CQC-7.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

see my other post about not being able to carry a single action:) i carry a kimber ultra carry CDP II off duty, but cannot carry it on duty, even though i have several times. i am lookin at the glock 27 and S&W .38 spl...not sure what i want yet tho, any ideas?

not trying to hijack but you might look at a Backup that will accept the same mags as your duty..since your in a position to buy both... as for knives EMERSON is the way to go....all his stuff is top of he line

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I was lucky enough to be able to carry a 1911 when with a city pd (not so lucky now days). My duty rig consisted of a 1911 with light mounted and a S&W J frame Model 36 customized to DAO in a Renegade ankle rig.

There was a time that I carried a Glock 26 but didnt find it as comfortable to carry as I did the snubby. My other reason for not carrying a semi-auto as a back up gun is that they tend to need more cleaning as ankle carry just draws yukkies into the gun. A wheel gun just dosent seem to have the same issue, but all in all its up to you.

In your earlier post you mentioned possibility of a ParaOrd in 1911 LDA to carry, and ParaOrd does make small 1911s that can work as an ankle gun, but I still support a snubby as the best back-up out there. Its an easy point and shoot in close quarters stess situations and if you have to arm another person there isnt and safety and such for them to worry about, just use (which is why I have laser grips on my snubby).

Good luck and have fun.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Links